Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Tom co-mixing 1349's Revelations of the Black Flame...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zane Reed Johnson
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Tom co-mixing 1349's Revelations of the Black Flame... Reply with quote

From 1349's official MySpace page:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=39842371&blogID=464454947

"1349 Are currently putting their last touch to the bands new album entitled 'REVELATIONS OF THE BLACK FLAME', follow- up to 2005's Hellfire. As both Hellfire and Beyond the Apocalypse, the album is recorded at Studio Studio Nyhagen, and co-mixed by none other than Tom Gabriel Fischer. No release date is scheduled as of yet, but the album is due sometime during the 1st half of 2009."
www.celticfrost.com
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be interesting...
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I doubly want to hear the new one!

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Opolus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Revelations Of The bloody Black Flame"? Gimme a fucking break! That's all a Black Metal band from Norway is capable of nowadays? Never liked 1349 and most probably never will... In days when entities like DEATHSPELL OMEGA are pushing the boundaries, this is simply lame. To me the -by far- best record in that vein during the last couple of years coming from Norway was MAYHEM's "Ordo Ad Chao", with its very disturbing and unique approach.
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due - sincere - respect for 1349, I admit that I feel many of the same sentiments as described by Opolus.

Even already a year ago, during my many visits to Norway, I was frequently engaged in impassioned discussions with various members of 1349 regarding this very topic. My own personal approach regarding time, earnestness, and effort which needs to be invested into a group's topical direction and lyrical content differs greatly from that pusrued by 1349. On the other hand, I have made the experience that it is not untypical for Norwegian black metal bands to operate in a somewhat chaotic and inprovised state. Whereas this leads, in my opinion, to a possible detrimental dilution of their image and message, it is at the same time also an expression of the very anarchy so often invoked by black metal musicians.

This is not a topic easily explained or understood. On one hand, the fanaticism and dedication displayed by, for example, Frost or Ravn of 1349 is limitless. On the other hand, this dedication is exactly what makes it incomprehensible to me why certain lyrics or titles are accepted within the group when I personally would reject them outright or at the very least spend weeks on further researching and rewriting them. But maybe it is simply a matter of personal taste. And who am I to tell other musicians how to do their work? It is not my place.

As everybody here knows, our own attention to visuals and lyrics was often almost excessive in Celtic Frost, and there will be no change in this approach with Triptykon. In a world where pretty much every riff, every title, and every lyric has been written before, even greater care has to be applied if one wishes to be able to release something which is at least crafted in an original manner.

Tom Gabriel Fischer, Zurich, Switzerland
Durtal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Gabriel Fischer wrote:
As everybody here knows, our own attention to visuals and lyrics was often almost excessive in Celtic Frost, and there will be no change in this approach with Triptykon. In a world where pretty much every riff, every title, and every lyric has been written before, even greater care has to be applied if one wishes to be able to release something which is at least crafted in an original manner.

That is why I think your vast body of work is held in such a high regard to fans of all genres of music.

In a scene plagued with numerous copycats and stereotypes , you were one of the few who were brave enough to always push the envelope .... sometimes even at your own expense.

To think that some band (who wishes to be taken seriously) would have an objection to "words of wisdom" from someone such as yourself amazes even me ...

I think that a lot of these bands would be best advised to follow your own example and create art that will withstand the test of time , rather than be typecast as a repetitive and dull "flavor of the month"

Besides , I have a half dozen albums from over the years that display vast amounts of darkness , fueled with cookie monster growls and 251 BPM's ...... What will separate this album from what has already been done to "death"?

Long live HH and the FROST ... Bring on Tryptikon !!!!
Deni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can be wrong, but maybe Tom sees in this guys the energy he had at the Hellhammer times. The difference is that, although hugely influenced by Venom, Tom still was creating something innovative, something new.

Of course, with CF (and AS), Tom has taken the creative process to others levels.

Deni
mesmerized

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, this could tell a lot about Tom's work as a musician and I know this 1349's new album is going to have an interesting sound
chrisdavisjr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't think it will affect the music that much, if at all. It just means that 1349 will have an experienced set of ears listening to their material. I'm expecting the usual 1349 fare but with a refined and properly heavy sound.
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdavisjr wrote:
I shouldn't think it will affect the music that much, if at all. It just means that 1349 will have an experienced set of ears listening to their material. I'm expecting the usual 1349 fare but with a refined and properly heavy sound.

Since their "Hellfire" album, 1349 have developed in a variety of directions, some of which will defy most expectations. In my opinion, their forthcoming album, "Revelations Of The Black Flame", is easily their most experimental work so far. There are moments when it even remotely resembles something Celtic Frost might have done.

1349 invited me to Norway some six times during the past 12 months. I was asked to provide an opinion and advice, and I also co-produced certain sessions. It would be wrong, however, to expect something like Celtic Frost's sound when listening to 1349's next album. I have always hated it when an outside producer attempted to change Celtic Frost's sound according to his ideas. I want a producer to help my band to sound better but not different; I don't think it's a producer's job to change a band's signature sound. Having been asked to work with 1349, I applied these same principles.

I thus went into the 1349 sessions with the determination not to change 1349's distinctive sound. My contributions were to discuss all aspects of the recording sessions with 1349, to provide an outside review, and to hopefully encourage them to explore avenues they might not have looked at otherwise. I also was closely involved in some of the lead vocal recording sessions. I was always honest and very vocal when I felt advice or even criticism was required.

But I respected 1349's final decisions regarding sound and concept at all times. I personally would have mixed the recorded material of 1349 very differently, but this is not my own band nor do I ever suffer from the delusion that my ideas are superior to those of others. I was asked to attend these sessions to support 1349's work and not to make 1349 sound like another group.

Having said all of that, I was also invidted to play bass and guitar on one song, and that song does sound quite a lot like Celtic Frost or, indeed, Triptykon.

chrisdavisjr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said all of that, I was also invidted to play bass and guitar on one song, and that song does sound quite a lot like Celtic Frost or, indeed, Triptykon.

Oh great, I have to buy it now! Wink
Elohim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1349 is not a band I am into, but I would like to hear their latest effort to see if I recognize some of Tom's work on it Wink
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to add it to the collection anyway..... but now I eagerly await it's release.
1349.com
darkfortress.org
Deni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Tom, how did you feel playing/recording bass again, since after "Satanic Rites", your last recording with this instrument was on V/N ("Phallic Tantrum")?

Can we expect some of your bass playing on the Triptykon debut album?

Do you have contributed on some material of 1349 songwriting?

Deni
ApolloXI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting dialogue for me, for some reason just recently I've been thinking about CF and Tom's (seemingly) increasing relationship with Black Metal. I think this has been spurred by my recent purchase of the Pete Beste photography book, which is wonderful btw. It also made me reminisce about my trips to Bergen many years ago, about the friends I made, and about the confusing impression that Norway left on me. Not actually very positive I'm afraid, which in an odd sense is why I would really love to return, to reappraise things.

This got me worried about where Triptykon might be heading. I have to say I find the inverted cross on the logo somewhat irksome. Maybe a little too childish in its symbolism, very much over-used and abused, I'm not sure it fits with Tom's lofty goals. At least CF went for more abstract motifs and seemed to be more interested in fantastical tales and ancient history than some sense of rebellious anti-establishmentism (the establishment being Christianity). Monotheist seemed to continue largely that tradition with an emphasis on what sounded to me like the breakdown of a personality, of soul searching and some comfort in the predictability of nihilism. I didn't find it an overly religious record, but definitely leaning towards the occult in a way that previous CF recordings had not [1]. Perhaps this was Martin's influence?

That's all I have to say I guess, I just hope Triptykon eschews some of the BM clichés that have been hinted on above and obviously I'm heartened and confident that this will be the case. I would agree though that Deathspell, Peste Noire and Blut Aus Nord to some extent have helped keep innovation alive.

[1] Although TMT obviously strongly featured the now legendary "Satan I" artwork, I always felt this was interesting sleight-of-hand because the content was not Satanistic on that album, and yet the imagery was a perfect match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: