Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Why Hellhammer’s Satanic Rites is possibly the most impor...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hessian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Why Hellhammer’s Satanic Rites is possibly the most impor... Reply with quote

Why Hellhammer’s Satanic Rites is possibly the most important metal record ever made

Quote:
Most people place the birth of black and death metal somewhere between Venom’s first album Welcome to Hell (1981) and Bathory’s third full-length Under the Sign of the Black Mark (1987). The exact moment of divergence from ancestors depends on the speaker’s level of metal puritanism and their favorite albums are from that era, and can sometimes seem a trivial dichotomy. Moot though it may be, my pick for the first discernible piece of death/black metal music is also, more importantly, the moment at which metal realizes it can be more than just warmed-over rock music.

Tom Warrior and co will forever be canonised in the metal pantheon for the early Hellhammer and Celtic Frost releases, which collectively shaped the sound of metal in a way that is only really matched by Slayer (who were probably influenced by Hellhammer in their change of sound between Show no Mercy and Haunting the Chapel).

http://www.deathmetal.org/news/why-hellhammers-satanic-rites-is-possibly-the-most-important-metal-record-ever-made/
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting hypothesis. I get a little nervous when people start writing about music from an analytic perspective. Ultimately, IMHO, music should be emotive: either it slays or it doesn't and that comes down largely to individual taste. I guess I subscribe to the school that "music is bigger than words and wider than pictures" and I am not certain that language can convey with any fidelity what the user intends when speaking about music.

How can I possibly describe the feelings provoked during the first few minutes of Melvins' "Your Blessened"? What words to describe the cymbals or meter? .... Perhaps I am a nihilist.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
McDeath

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
(snip)
How can I possibly describe the feelings provoked during the first few minutes of Melvins' "Your Blessened"? What words to describe the cymbals or meter? .... Perhaps I am a nihilist.

No, that makes you a conceptualist and you're spot on . . . .

Schaufensterpuppypharm

POM
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I just didn't say that my little brother's favorite bands sucks. (*looks at Akhenaton*) Laughing

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Paulie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they likely meant to say "Apocalyptic Raids..."

Duh,
PAULIE
Akhenaton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
I hope I just didn't say that my little brother's favorite bands sucks. (*looks at Akhenaton*) Laughing
Laughing yeah you must watch out for that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: