Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Do you even lift?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisdavisjr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Do you even lift? Reply with quote

Does anyone here take part in any weight lifting or strength/resistance training? If so, what do you do and why do you do it?

I've been something of a strength training 'dilletante' for several years but have been spurred-on recently for a number of reasons to start a proper training régime and shift some serious iron so I'd be interested to know if anyone else here has an interest in or devotes any of their time to such matters, how they manage to fit it into their schedule and, perhaps most importantly, has any killer workout playlist suggestions.
Dethroned Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently started working out and lifting weights. I have been trying different workouts to see which suit me best and I finally found one that seems to be working for me.
I am not an expert on this, just want to gain some muscle and put on some more weight, tired of being skinny. Managed to put on, and keep, 20 lbs in the last 6 months. So I am happy with that.

I work out at home, 3 days a week. Each workout is about 1 hour long and includes about 3 sets for each muscle group, I generally work on 3 muscle groups during 1 session, except for leg day. On leg day I also do shoulders.

I use dumb bells and a bench. My workout isn't focused on getting a 6pack, so I was thinking about including 1 or 2 sets to work on that area as well.

I can go into more detail, but it is really basic.

As for work out music... I was listening to Poison Idea this week. With the new Sodom comming out later this month I am sure I will be listening to Sodom a lot.
Durtal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kettlebells, primarily for strengthening connective tissue, and quick-twitch muscles

When I was younger (and more ignorant and naive), I pounded all the heavy weights, mostly because I thought being big was the way to go - All that size and what I thought was strength, got me nowhere.

I could bench 250 like nothing (at the time), but could not do some of the kettlebell forms with a 2.5 pound weight without feeling like my arms were going to fall off ... so, I began to learn the correct ways to build strength, and throwing a punch with the hips ... a punch with your body weight behind it is far more effective than with your shoulders ... but, live and learn.

As for a playlist ... I used to pound the weights while listening to recordings of thunderstorms, and would channel anger/strength through imagery of a flash of a lightning bolt ... I was inspired by how Mike Tyson used to train with Cus D'Amato in the early days ... no outside interference (music), just the thought of that guy that used to smack you and your mother around when you were a kid, and destroying him like a flash of lightning hitting the bag ... when I got into kettlebells, I preferred silence, and stillness of the mind ... focusing more on breathwork, and proper form ... calming the mind helped me to focus on more, especially dealing with anxiety ... which I've suffered from my entire life ... FROST or Bathory is more personal for me, and I prefer to listen to music like sipping a fine wine, or scotch while reading a good book by the fire ... but, that is just me.

This is what worked for me and my path, and is not the "best" way ... the best way is whatever works for what anyone is trying to accomplish - I never cared about what I looked like in the mirror, or how "ripped" I had to look ... I wanted to be able to defend myself and others, explosively and effectively.

Don't let the "dance" book fool you, as many martial arts practitioners I have met and trained with over the years have read this book on imagery

http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/dynamic-alignment-through-imagery---2nd-edition

If kettlebells interest you, I would look into the dvds put out by Sonny Puzikas (former Russian Spetsnaz) on his Gospel of Violence website

I prefer the Russian issue kettlebells, but I am putting this link here, because they are at least "cool"

https://www.demonbells.com/

I have never seen myself as an expert, but i hope that some of my experiences have helped in some way - Best wishes on your path!
Durtal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank you, Chris ... This post sort of reminded me of the early days of this forum, when Vornn and myself used to discuss these topics, and our life experiences frequently ... after we realized we had more in common than trying to smash each other's face in Smile

Miss that guy
chrisdavisjr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a one-of-a-kind dude, no doubt: a very bold and forthright individual.

Thanks for your contribution, Durtal; there's a lot to think about in there. I'm coming round to your way of thinking over time: My initial reasons for engaging in physical exercise were primarily driven by vanity and the desire to improve my appearance but, as I've started to take it more seriously, it's become more of a means of (eventually) attaining self-mastery and a kind of holistic physical potency, not defined by a single aspect of strength but combining as much as possible.

I've still a long way to go.

I'm intrigued by kettlebells: I definitely appreciate any kind of low-tech, minimal equipment approach to training. I may have to bite the bullet and acquire some. I've been recommended 16kg (approximately 1 pood) as a starting weight as it's light enough to make the less challenging movements accessible to the novice but heavy enough to provide significant resistance with the practice of more advanced drills.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread made me think of Vornn as well. The internet was a different place then. Of course, we were lamenting then that it wasn't what it was. The naïveté. But that's a rant for another thread.

I don't lift anymore, but I did start training in Taekwondo about a year and a half ago. By way of reference, I was 14 when MT was released. I took about a good decade off of doing anything physical and I have learned a couple things. First, strength and stamina come back fairly quickly, but flexibility is a bitch. And, I'm noticing a lot more ligament pain, as opposed to general lactic acid burn, from when I was young.

The bottom line I've discovered is that if you're young and in shape, don't fall out because it hurts a lot more as you grow older.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: