Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Celtic Frost Remastering Sessions 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reports I'm reading are that the remasters sound fantastic. I would like to hear them, but I think I'm going to stick with the vinyl I bought back in the '80's. That's the sound I listened to growing up. Some things I don't mess with.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wurm wrote:

Looks like their incompetence continues as one person posted on Discogs, in reference to Into The Pandemonium, that "The first disc in my copy was Vanity/Nemesis". Shocked

I saw that too !
Anger! Can't stand that .
Knowing the selling price of these editions, buyers have the right to expect a service that is simply irreproachable for a delivery in accordance with what has been announced. There must be a production quality manager to ensure that the entire manufacturing process is scrupulously respected. How this is possible ? I don't understand this kind of mistakes nowadays. May be I'm full of naivety but this really sucks .
Ashamed, irresponsible, disrespectful towards the artistic work, creators and fans.
As few comments rising here and there, it's reasonable to believe that for some purchasers this turns into a disaster.
Wurm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturnal Dimension wrote:
Wurm wrote:
After looking at the vinyl editions on Disogs they all have notes entitled "A Personal View On (Insert album title) by Xavier Russell". I'm assuming these were commissioned at the 11th hour as a replacement after Tom pulled his liner notes out of the project?

ah, maybe?? I didn't think about that. the notes on his reviews/thoughts are relevant to the releases and interesting but I'm sure Tom had much more in depth , stories to include.

Absolutely, Tom's insight would have been invaluable.
Wurm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
The reports I'm reading are that the remasters sound fantastic. I would like to hear them, but I think I'm going to stick with the vinyl I bought back in the '80's. That's the sound I listened to growing up. Some things I don't mess with.

That was my initial thought as well. However, as someone who has never owned any of the 'classic' era Frost on CD, I am definitely leaning towards picking these up.
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon1969 wrote:
I have listened attentively to all four albums on CD. The sound is incredibly good. Definitely the best sounding editions ever.
Particularly noteworthy are To Mega Therion and Into the Pandemonium. No comparison to the '99 remaster.
Victor, Tom and Zane did a great job on all four albums.
Now, I'm waiting for the vinyl editions...

I have listened attentively to all four albums on vinyl. Everything is top notch and just FANTASTIC in audio and visual aspects.
This is my last post regarding this topic.
I'm done.
drterror666

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:

Yes, and I remember what I thought of To Mega Therion when I first heard it on vinyl back in the day. Frustration or what! I hated the mix then and I still hate it. When I heard the 1999 version, I couldn't believe the difference; it was like discovering the album again. So, I can't wait to listen to the new CD's.
Nocturnal Dimension

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty impressed here with the sound quality. very dynamic subtleties can be heard I never heard before ,as I 've listened to these songs countless times over the years. The bass comes though better than ever for one thing. also the guitars are even more razor sharp and ripping, if that's possible ! It even better than the '99 issues ' sound I think in certain ways. I must note that one of the bonus tracks - Inevitable Factor , ive never really listened too closely (apart from a spin on You tube with crappy desk top speakers.) This track absolutely rules! so many twists and turns in the structure of it, its almost like a Progressive rock song. So it like a new CF track to me. its great how far they went from the primitive HH work to this stage in only a few years.

And yes in a perfect world I think " I Wont Dance" should have been a hit too! it would have been one of the best top 40 songs ever. ah well no going back now.....................
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've listened to these the only fashioned way -- "sampling before buying." A friend sent me a flac rip of the TMT CD and jpgs of the packaging. I agree with much of what has already been said. The bass is much clearer. The sound is sharper, if you will. And the packages themselves are quite luxurious.

When remastering, I understand that TGF and VS were mostly focusing on maximizing the sources -- correcting phase issues and fixing drop-outs, that sort of thing -- and intended a very gentle touch as to the actual sound of the records. But I have to say, I purchased TMT on vinyl in late '85 or early '86. I sat in my parents' basement and listened to it. I dubbed it to tape and listened to it in the car. That is the sound that I grew up with and that is the sound that has personal meaning to me. And that is the main reason that I will stick with the vinyl that I already own, as far as physical copies go.

I do stream a lot of music and I suppose that my streaming service will probably be offering this latest edition, which is fine. But I don't think I need a physical copy. I never bought the '99 reissues and I don't expect that I'll buy any of these, either.

Perhaps I am too reactionary or set in my ways. But I'm pretty okay with that.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm correct , Tristesses de la Lune was created and written by Charles Baudelaire , not Gustave Flaubert as incorrectly credited on the inner-sleeve on Into The Pandemonium . Shocked
Miyu_Yan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, these sound really good. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, really.
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the pic of Reed St Mark near the ITP credits page . This place called the Black Room at Martin Ain 's place in Zürich is very similar to the dark cover of Tragic Serenades EP . Curtains, candles and skull look the same .
Awesome image .
Wurm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to take the plunge and ordered CD copies of the first three albums. Now just got to wait for them to arrive.
Akhenaton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just judging from To Mega Therion on Spotify, it's the best metal album that I've ever heard in my life! There are these subtle improvements on the guitar that just launch this album into the stratosphere. I've always thought that the album was great, but this remaster pushes it to the top of the pantheon. Congrats to Tom, Victor, & Zane. Well done!
Akhenaton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. 'Fainted Eyes' has to be heard to be believed! This song has benefited the most from the remaster.
GigerFrost

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Tom's statements concerning the failures of BMG I thought I'd just skip this. But reading some of the comments praising the sound quality I will buy the unholy trinity of the first albums. Collection would be incomplete without them anyway. So skipping it was not a real option to be honest...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: