Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Celtic Frost Remastering Sessions 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally saw the artwork for Innocence and Wrath. While the collection itself is quite unnecessary in my view, the art is pretty badass. And the title is fitting, I think, as well.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
GigerFrost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While writing these words I am listening to Mega Therion after finishing Morbid Tales. And, hell, yes, there is a massive difference in sound quality! The book-style covers (due to a lack of better words...) are nothing but awesome. I love the look and feel! Booklets provide nice pictures from the archives and some (who would have guessed) dissapointing liner notes. No offense to the author, but his texts do not provide any valuable information. Go and check reviews on amazon and you will get the same "Listening to the Sabbath-kinda riffs blew me away back then and they still do" comments you would expect from regular fans. Not worth this very special re-issue. Back to the music: while objectively better than the versions before only time will tell which version I will listen to in the future. After all it was the originals I fell in love with. Well, for now I just enjoy the truely fresh sound of these great classics. Cheers!
drterror666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've prefer being a revisionist rather than a traditionalist. If the new CD's sound better, then that's what I'm going to listen to.
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always hooked by the speed of the releases of the first albums/EPs of Celtic Frost:
Morbid Tales - Nov. 84
Emperor's Return - Aug. 85
To Mega Therion - Oct. 85 which completely justifies the fusion with ER for the latest remastered edition.
Tragic Serenades - March 86
Into the Pandemonium - April 87
Having lived these releases chronologically, I had never noticed this rhythm of musical productions at the time . The earlies 80s were so fertile but we were not aware of it. Unbelievable nowdays. I am amazed by those so quick 5 years between Morbid Tales and CL with all the upsets that everyone knows while between Eparistera Daimones and Melana Chasmata 4 long years have passed but in a more logical continuity.
Things have changed in 30 years.
Nocturnal Dimension

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but tons of bands worked that way back then because of the record business and contracts ect.... now its a totally different game. its more independent and bands take their time to develop the material. I don't know if its a better way or worse but a lot groups (CF for one ) put out classics in a short period of time.
babylon777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interview with Tom about the reissues and the forthcoming two books.

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2017/07/10/tom-gabriel-fischer-discusses-problems-with-celtic-frost-s-new-reissues/
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-08-16/every-celtic-frost-album-in-tom-g-warriors-words
GigerFrost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Tom's bashing of Vanity/Nemesis actually made me want to to hear it again after all these years. Certainly cannot hold a candle to the unholy trinity or Monotheist. However, when it came out I was listening to it quite often. Gotta go check the archives.
drterror666

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the first three albums now. I'll give my thoughts once I've heard them
drterror666

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I haven't been this impressed with a remaster since Cardiacs redid The Seaside!!!

I first discovered Celtic Frost when I heard 'Into The Crypt Of Rays' on the Speed Kills! compilation in '85. I eventually found Morbid Tales and Emperor's Return in Shades in London. As production wasn't any great shakes back then, I was quite happy with both of them and I played them a lot. Then, To Mega Therion came out and it was off to Shades again to get a copy. I thought the album was a classic, but the production always threw me; it was so flat! I felt like the music was desperately trying to unleash itself, but was held back by crap production.

Until now!

I've just listened to Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion, and I can't believe the way they sound. Both albums are really heavy and the bass stands right out, at last. There are so many little details, like improved vocals and drums, it would be hard to describe them all. I just want to say that Tom and V have done a sterling job on these; they've made this fan really happy. Being a revisionist, these will be the versions I play from now on.

Can't wait to hear Into The Pandemonium!
drterror666

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I listened to Into The Pandemonium today. I never had a problem with the original album, but the new remaster certainly makes it more multidimensional. Listening to it again, though, all these years later, it strikes me that the album is a bit disjointed. I feel that Tom had an out-pour of creative ideas that he crafted into the album, but so many ideas are wedged in there that there's almost too much! I reckon Tom could have made about three albums from this one LP! I still enjoyed it, though, and I have to commend Tom and V for their outstanding work.

Oh, and 'In The Chapel, In The Moonlight'. That's such a great cover!
GigerFrost

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally purchased Into the Pandemonium and am very pleased with the sound improvement. Very good job. I hear details now I did not recognize before. And the cover artwork really shines on this release. Too bad the bonus stuff is old news. However, CD is worth every cent. Even though I bought Into the Pandemonium for the fourth time now. Timeless classic. Love it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: