Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Cold Lake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I lke 'Mexican radio' a lot. Still haven't listened to Cold Lake though. Maybe i'll give it a try next week.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're the kind of guy that doesn't rush things. Laughing

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
I see you're the kind of guy that doesn't rush things. Laughing

Hehe....some things shouldn't be rushed. This is one of them.
Deni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SigSwat551,

Probably you haven't listened to Parched With Thirst too...
Give it a chance and you will find a lot of jewel treasures there...
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deni wrote:
SigSwat551,

Probably you haven't listened to Parched With Thirst too...
Give it a chance and you will find a lot of jewel treasures there...

Hey Deni,

I'll give it a try next week when i'm off from work. I'll let you know what i think of it.
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i finally gave Cold Lake a try. It's not a bad record by any standards i guess but it's just not Celtic Frost. Best song is "They were eagles". "Downtown Hanoi" is the only song that occasionally comes close to the real Celtic Frost vibe. Not as bad as i thought it would be but just not my kind of music. I will not revisit this album. 'Parched With Thirst" is next.
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SigSwat551 wrote:
I will not revisit this album

That has worked for me for the past quarter century.

Tom Gabriel Fischer
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Gabriel Fischer wrote:
SigSwat551 wrote:

Tom Gabriel Fischer

Haha.....then it will probably work for me too. That being said...the imagary that goes along with the album will still haunt me after my death. Well played sir!
Deni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigswat551 wrote:

Quote:
"Downtown Hanoi" is the only song that occasionally comes close to the real Celtic Frost vibe.

You'll find a powerful version of this song on Parched.

I'm waiting your comments about this brilliant CF retrospective. By the way, last month I got a 2006 reissue edition of the album that comes with a crystal tray, what I never had seen before. Nice edition.

Well, good listening, at the maximum volume!!!
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SigSwat551 wrote:

Tom Gabriel Fischer

Laughing
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious . Until now, I hadn't noticed the similarities between the graphics of the CF letters of the cover and the R and N of the Triptykon logo. it's really a small detail, but which now disturbs me somewhat. Confused Cool
Without talking about the improbable pic of the new band on the verso (I remember searching Tom for a few seconds before validated what I saw) I recall the second shock after finding the abandonment of true CF logo for these two intertwined letters , haloed with a soft and bright pink. Embarassed
Monotheist 'll purify all of this years later, for my greatest happiness.
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEGIDDO wrote:
Curious . Until now, I hadn't noticed the similarities between the graphics of the CF letters of the cover and the R and N of the Triptykon logo. it's really a small detail, but which now disturbs me somewhat. Confused Cool

Two facts:

- The "CF" logo first publicly seen in 1988 was actually designed right after 1987's Into The Pandemonium album recording sessions. It thus was originally still a product of the "classic" line-up and completely unrelated to what was to follow. It was also originally designed to complement (not replace) the original Celtic Frost logo.

As it happened, the "CF" logo had its public debut on 1988's infamous abomination, which essentially tarnished it for all times. Not that this matters, really, as the original logo has aged quite well, in my opinion, and will always represent the true Celtic Frost.

The "CF" logo was originally a simple outline drawing done by me. The three dimensional, coloured "CF" logo as used on the abomination was completed by Marky Edelmann of Coroner (a graphic artist by trade).

- The Triptykon Weimar logo has no connection whatsoever with the "CF" logo, besides being drawn by the same person (21 years later). I find such a connection utterly contrived. Nothing could possibly be further removed from the abomination than Triptykon, the band's concept, the band's designs, and, in fact, my life at this point in time.

The design of the Triptykon logo was based directly on graphic designs of the 1920's Weimar Republic, e.g. as used in films or on advertising columns. The logo as used on the first Triptykon album was the final one of numerous draft versions which evolved gradually and which, initially, looked significantly different. There are photos showing the walls of my home covered with the numerous versions of the logo as I designed it in 2008.

It has, in the meantime, further evolved, as it will do again in the future.

Tom Gabriel Fischer
Deni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The "CF" logo first publicly seen in 1988 was actually designed right after 1987's Into The Pandemonium album recording sessions. It thus was originally still a product of the "classic" line-up and completely unrelated to what was to follow.

If I'm not wrong, the "CF" logo was used in some promo shirt or advert, circa 87/88, before Martin and Reed left the band. I don't remember more details...

Quote:
It was also originally designed to complement (not replace) the original Celtic Frost logo.

It's really the way I always saw and felt. The same happens with the Re-issues Remastered CD versions, authorized and overseen by the band, released in 1999, with the new logo, graphics and layout - a complement to the originals vinyl releases. And all the CD cases bring a sticker with the Celtic Frost logo that appears on the backcover of the three first albums.
No Celtic Frost collection is complete without both releases (the vinyls and the CDs with extra pictures and bonus tracks).

By the way, Cold Lake wasn't re-issued.

Talkin' about collections, I finally got a new copy of the Coroner "Death Cult" demo on CD.
Well Tom, I hope you still have yours in your collection! Wink
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to 1988 context : I had access to information about the new line-up very late. Just before the release of CL, I've seen, like everyone else here , the official band photo in Hard Rock Magazine, if I' m not wrong. I re-found it on the album verso few weeks later in stores .The local specialized press was still in its infancy and, at the time , has preferred to develop four pages on the glam or Hard FM than disseminate Thrash or Speed ​​news.
Personnaly,there was nothing to indicate that this logo change was temporary . The later re-release of CD albums, all stamped with the "new logo" left think otherwise.
Of course , the perspective of events is not the same, retrospectively.
Again , this is just my personal interpretation of events. Nothing more .
in 2006, I think one of my strong pleasures was to rediscover the authentic logo (for me) on the cover of Monotheist.
thanx for sharing
Deni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got your point Megiddo.
But in case you still haven't the reissue remastered CD editions, try to get them, at least of your favorites albums. You will not repent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: