Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Cold Lake
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SadButcher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Cold Lake Reply with quote

Why was everybody so surpriced when "Cold Lake" came out? Sure, they look silly but doesn't Tom look a little glam already on "Into the pandemonium" (with his US Navy-patch)? Music wise there is also some similarities - "Mexican radio" and "I won't dance". I think it goes well with Celtic Frost's philosohy of always trying new things. And hasn't CF always been shining with an aura of decadent sexuality? What is more decadent than sleaze rock?

"Cold lake" is far better than "Vanity/nemisis" and I predict that Tom will embrace it (the same way he did with Hellhammer) when he realize that people actually likes it, especially nowadays when glam/sleaze is on the rise and is merging together with darker and hevier metal.

"Dance sleazy" rocks!
Elohim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not gaining any popularity by this thread...
infurita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got an email from Oliver he is gonna send me an autographed copy of Cold Lake.
infurita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i happen to like Cold lake wilmar. and i know im not the only one.
Elohim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about wether you like CL or not, it's about starting this thread over and over again...
SadButcher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elohim

First of all, not everybody has been here since the beginning and read every thread there is. Every thread can be started over and over.

Second, who's out to be popular? Are you? Do you think I care if some blind fan (who can't think for himself and follows his idol's words like the law) dislikes my opinions or writings? "Kill your idols"!
chrisdavisjr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for fuck's sake.
SadButcher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdavisjr

Why bother with a meaningless contribution like that? How many do you think care what you think?

Why even bother post replys that has nothing to do with the thread?
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadButcher wrote:
Elohim

First of all, not everybody has been here since the beginning and read every thread there is. Every thread can be started over and over.

Second, who's out to be popular? Are you? Do you think I care if some blind fan (who can't think for himself and follows his idol's words like the law) dislikes my opinions or writings? "Kill your idols"!

Dude! This is a friendly little community, by and large, and I think its fair to say that we welcome all sorts of people interested in CF, whether its fans, former members, what have you. Whether they've just stumbled across this board or haven't posted in years.

Obviously, the internet is a difficult medium sometimes, because it doesn't really convey the tone that a person intends. But, let's try to give people the benefit of the doubt before getting on the muscle.

Now, your thesis is that CL wasn't that surprising and a natural progression from ITP. I can't really say, because I have never heard it, other than a soundbite or two from YouTube.

But, I can tell you this, I picked up the album when it first came out (this was really before the CD's, you know), looked at all the ratted and teased hair, and thought, "I don't think that this is something that I'm going to be into." So, for me, it was quite a surprise, given the radical shift in image. At that time, there was a whole lot of shit-talk coming out of the Metallica and even Anthrax camps about Motley Crue and Bon Jovi. ("If you've come to see hairspray and make-up and every other word is 'baby,' you've got the wrong fuckin' band.") I did not see the shift in image, at least, as a logical progression from ITP. Rather, I saw it as the end of something glorious.

Now, like I've said, I have never actually heard the album. When a person is 18 and one can only buy a record or maybe two a month, discretion is the better part of valor. Nearly 20 years later, I have never gotten around to giving it a listen. Maybe someday.
infurita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kill your idols was actually a song done by Static x. Twisted Evil
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infurita wrote:
kill your idols was actually a song done by Static x. Twisted Evil

You and your Static X.

"Kill Yr Idols" was also an E.P. by the mighty Sonic Youth.
infurita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Static X
Sons-of-Venom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Lake Reply with quote

SadButcher wrote:
"Cold lake" is far better than "Vanity/nemisis"

While there is the odd OK song on Cold Lake, it is no where near as good as Vanity / Nemesis, which is a very underated album imho Cool
SadButcher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knuckelhead

So you think I'm unfriendly? Anyway, thanks for a real answer. Maybe they wanted to piss the macho-antiposer-thrash metal people off. They propably pissed some people off by recording "Tristesses de la lune" and "One in their pride" too. I choose to believe that. But maybe they thought they would sell more records with sleaze rock, sell out that is. Don't really buy Tom's reason that they just got sick of the record industry and just wanted to party. Right or wrong - that's my belief.

Infurita
I have never listened to Static X (neither Sonic youth). I stole it from the Jesus-t-shirt. Too much people idolize the musicians they listen to. They're just people! That's why I like that quotation.
infurita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should listen to Static X on aol .com theyre really something else .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: