Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
DARKTHRONE'S NOCTURNO CULTO PENS INTRO TO HELLHAMMER/CF BOOK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zane Reed Johnson
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: DARKTHRONE'S NOCTURNO CULTO PENS INTRO TO HELLHAMMER/CF BOOK Reply with quote

Former Hellhammer/Celtic Frost and current Triptykon frontman Tom Gabriel Fischer and Bazillion Points Books are deeply honored to announce that Nocturno Culto of Darkthrone has written an introduction to Fischer's upcoming 288-page hardcover book "Only Death Is Real: An Illustrated History of Hellhammer and Early Celtic Frost 1981-1985."

Nocturno Culto states: "The moment I got the question if I would write these lines, I was struck by a sensation of true joy. This joy soon transformed to utter fear because I knew, from the bottom of my soul, what impact Hellhammer/Celtic Frost has had on so many people and the development of a darker metal scene."

"Only Death Is Real" is due to be published in November 2009, the culmination of four years of research, writing, and design. All of the former main members of Hellhammer - Steve Warrior, Bruce Day, Martin Eric Ain, and Stephen Priestly - have contributed to this project, along with primary original Hellhammer/Celtic Frost photographers Martin Kyburz, Andreas Schwarber, and Csaba Kézér.

According to Fischer: "This is a book about the real Hellhammer, the essence of that group, the aura it carried, and the truly unique spirit of revolution of the times in which it existed. It is a book about a group of outcasts - about persistence, dedication, and an utterly personal vision. I have worked very hard to make sure it will do justice to the work of a number of very unique people who shared the same ideas at a very unique point in time."

For more information, go to this location: http://www.bazillionpoints.com.

As previously announced, Sarke, the Norwegian band featuring Sarke (Khold, Tulus, Old Man's Child, Sensa Anima) and Nocturno Culto (Darkthrone), will be joined onstage by Tom Gabriel Fischer on July 31 at this year's Wacken Open Air festival in Wacken, Germany for a performance of the Celtic Frost classic "Dethroned Emperor."
www.celticfrost.com
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are indeed exciting times. That book is going to look damn fine sitting next to Are You Morbid?

Is it November yet? Laughing
1349.com
darkfortress.org
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty freakin' cool. Especially since HH/CF obviously had a huge influence on Darkthrone.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
vornn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkthrone sucks for the most part. Hopefully the writting will be the best he ever wrote before.
Opolus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vornn wrote:
Darkthrone sucks for the most part. Hopefully the writting will be the best he ever wrote before.

Don't agree here. DARKTHRONE until ca. 1996 were fucking unbeatable. Unbelievable is the sorry state they're in nowadays though, pathetic, to say the least! Eventually it makes sense, to have either of them two write that foreword, as DARKTHRONE was one of very few bands back then, that not only talked about being influenced by HELLHAMMER & CELTIC FROST but one could actually hear it, at least talking about the latter, as I personally didn't hear any HELLHAMMER. I still remain skeptical though...
peterott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opolus wrote:
vornn wrote:

Don't agree here. DARKTHRONE until ca. 1996 were fucking unbeatable. Unbelievable is the sorry state they're in nowadays though, pathetic, to say the least! Eventually it makes sense, to have either of them two write that foreword, as DARKTHRONE was one of very few bands back then, that not only talked about being influenced by HELLHAMMER & CELTIC FROST but one could actually hear it, at least talking about the latter, as I personally didn't hear any HELLHAMMER. I still remain skeptical though...

I think their only real Hellhammer influence is on Total Death, and here the closing song "The Serpents Harvest". The middle part is 1:1 Hellhammer. And I always thought that "Blasphemer" is the best Iron Angel tribute ever due to the riffing. And you are right, that was the last good DT release in 1996. The rest has moments, but way less than on all the pre-1996 releases.
vornn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree. Much of Darhthrone aside from their openess towards having been influenced by CF/HH might have been talked about in mags whatever. But I have only heard a few songs that was remeniscent of old CF. Namely "Triumphant Gleam" and a handleful of other songs. This is no big deal, but the band has always been way to simple to even ever compare to the CF classics. Tom nows these people, and I am just stating my opinion on the matter is all.
Opolus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vornn wrote:
I don't agree. Much of Darhthrone aside from their openess towards having been influenced by CF/HH might have been talked about in mags whatever. But I have only heard a few songs that was remeniscent of old CF. Namely "Triumphant Gleam" and a handleful of other songs. This is no big deal, but the band has always been way to simple to even ever compare to the CF classics. Tom nows these people, and I am just stating my opinion on the matter is all.

Fair enough, Mr. v.! Wink
vornn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all good.
Baphomet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soulside Journey is one of the best old-school death metal albums. And A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger are seminal releases of the infamous second wave of black metal.

Panzerfaust marked the end of Darkthrone’s glory. This record is nothing but a carbon copy of Celtic Frost’s first two albums. There aren’t even any Sodom or Bathory influences to be heard here. Most of the material sounds exactly like something Celtic Frost would have released back in ‘84 or ‘85.
Aes treve, Weis Kunig
Trev Lew, ruot Ar.

http://www.mountainking-official.org
http://www.myspace.com/mountainkingch
http://www.myspace.com/walpurgisswitzerland
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baphomet wrote:
Soulside Journey is one of the best old-school death metal albums. And A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger are seminal releases of the infamous second wave of black metal.

Panzerfaust marked the end of Darkthrone’s glory. This record is nothing but a carbon copy of Celtic Frost’s first two albums. There aren’t even any Sodom or Bathory influences to be heard here. Most of the material sounds exactly like something Celtic Frost would have released back in ‘84 or ‘85.

I haven't gotten around to listening to Soulside Journey, although I suppose I should.

I have to admit, I do have a soft-spot for Panzerfaust. It is the first album I heard in its entirety and "En vind av sorg" continues to haunt me, years later. Obviously, the preceding three are unique and landmarks in Black Metal. But this album seems to mark the end of an era. The last album I purchased was Total Death and it just didn't work for me.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Elohim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Soulside Journey' wasn't really my cup of tea, and what they released afterwards even less.
Azrael

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need this book. All Darkthrone rules. Sardonic Wrath is just as good as the old records, so is The Cult Is Alive.
V-GER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azrael wrote:
I still need this book. All Darkthrone rules. Sardonic Wrath is just as good as the old records, so is The Cult Is Alive.

Hey what's up Az, I will agree with you again. Mid period Darkthrone is my favorite. We need a Darkthrone thread here.
Elohim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have to score the book, but I am awaiting the offer of the full package from the Triptykon webstore...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: