Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Triptykon artwork (update Feb 1, 2010)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the creepy face/"simplified" Monotheist cover, but it stops beyond the creepiness.

I was looking through the records earlier for a post made by Martin, with respect to the artwork. I remember he didn't really say that much, but made it more of a riddle, and at this time, the concept still hasn't been cleared up. I guess leaving things to interpretation is cool, but when it's a total enigma, made even more puzzling by an explanation, then perhaps it's simply bad form. To this point, I have not seen much headway in the explanation and understanding of the album art. Hey, maybe I'm FOS with what I wrote above, and others are happy with it. I certainly think it's bizarre, but the piece of what CF did is kind of not there, as the artwork was usually its own facet to discover and talk about. This time around, not so much. I don't only want shock value, nor do I only want "bizarre". I want to sink my teeth into something, talk the aspects, and understand the connection between the art and music and the origin, or depths, the ideas came from.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMorbid wrote:
I want to sink my teeth into something, talk the aspects, and understand the connection between the art and music and the origin, or depths, the ideas came from.

And what about TMT? There is absolutely no issue as to whether that was a classic cover. But does it suffer from the same sort of criticism as Monotheist. The crucified Christ is being used a bow, by a demon. That doesn't really seem to have much connection with the lyrical content, either...

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me Monotheist was, no i have to correct myself, IS perfect. The art, the music and the lyrics together paint a coherent dark, bleak, cold, vicious landscape that was totally new to me and i'm sure also to others. It is remarkable to read Tom's comments about his disconnect regarding Martin's art direction and the <lack off> technical ability of TCD and yet together they produced a beautiful piece of art, my personal favorite album of all time. Period.

DrMorbid said in one of his posts he felt like CF was limited in it's boundlessness. Well, judging by his posts at least Tom was apparently bounded in his control over Monotheist. The Triptykon songs that are public now have definitely a different vibe then the material on Monotheist. Man, i'm so curious about the whole package that will be "Eparistera Daimones"
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
DrMorbid wrote:
I want to sink my teeth into something, talk the aspects, and understand the connection between the art and music and the origin, or depths, the ideas came from.

And what about TMT? There is absolutely no issue as to whether that was a classic cover. But does it suffer from the same sort of criticism as Monotheist. The crucified Christ is being used a bow, by a demon. That doesn't really seem to have much connection with the lyrical content, either...

Absolutely not, IMO. Those two pieces are hardly similar. It also doesn't necessarily need to have a connection to the lyrics, as much as the feel, and where the lyrics came from. I think we've seen to this point that where the lyrics and music come from is an important aspect of the whole experience. In a metaphorical sense, perhaps that image can even be applied to people, or characters, as metaphors.

The only thing I got from the face on Monotheist is different facets of a person and perhaps endless darkness. I do wish I knew more of the layers, and even the original of the face used on it.

Quote:
To me Monotheist was, no i have to correct myself, IS perfect. The art, the music and the lyrics together paint a coherent dark, bleak, cold, vicious landscape that was totally new to me and i'm sure also to others. It is remarkable to read Tom's comments about his disconnect regarding Martin's art direction and the <lack off> technical ability of TCD and yet together they produced a beautiful piece of art, my personal favorite album of all time. Period.

DrMorbid said in one of his posts he felt like CF was limited in it's boundlessness. Well, judging by his posts at least Tom was apparently bounded in his control over Monotheist. The Triptykon songs that are public now have definitely a different vibe then the material on Monotheist. Man, i'm so curious about the whole package that will be "Eparistera Daimones"

Compared to what we have coming up, that's an understatement. I really enjoy how it sounds like the individual members are encouraging, or propelling the music forward, lending their incredible talent and hunger to the whole thing. I feel funny speculating while Tom is a member here, but the new music gives me a feeling as if he could have felt like he was writing in a box, during and post Monotheist. Now it sounds like he's stretching out and breathing and exploring and discovering. Personally, I expected more slow, doom. I didn't expect fast, sometimes even technical playing, nor did I even expect such multi-dimensional music to come out of that camp. I love the combo of primitive brutality and heaviness with more complex structures and technicality. Regardless, Monotheist is a classic and incredibly important piece of metal history, being regarded now, and will continue into the future. It is brilliant, regardless of TCD and limitations. Perhaps that displays the strength of the writing that went into the album.

But back to the art, now I wonder what would the cover of Monotheist have been, had it not been what it was. Rather, what type of art would have expressed the feelings that went down to make Monotheist.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Deni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Gabriel Fischer wrote:

Quote:
The artwork for "Eparistera Daimones" has been selected for one-and-a-half years already. It has nothing to do whatsoever with the artwork used on "Monotheist". The latter was a project guided entirely by Martin Eric Ain, and I have never been able to identify with it. Nor did I ever like it or deem it worthy of appearing on a Celtic Frost album. I felt this way long before the group fell apart, and I expressed these sentiments even when seeing the earliest drafts, over a year or so before "Monotheist" became a reality. It is simply a matter of taste (or perception).

In first place, thank you very much Tom for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the "Monotheist" artwork.
Personally I also have never been able to identify with it and I never hid this fact from you, since the release of the mentioned album, although I have thought interesting the concept of the Trinity/triptych.

Quote:
I thus never felt bound to follow or continue the path used for the artwork on "Monotheist", and I was delighted to follow my own instincts for the concept and artwork to be used on "Eparistera Daimones". The artwork that will thus appear on the album is as exceptional and powerful as it can possibly be. It is also the artwork I was going to fight for in order to have it on the next Celtic Frost album. It is a huge honor to work with the artist in question.

I think you followed your own instincts on the concept and artwork those were used on "Parched With Thirst", including the pictures of the band on the booklet, and the result was just brilliant.

Quote:
The collaboration of these two artists with the band renders "Eparistera Daimones" a triptych in itself.

I really thought about a triptych as an artwork for the Triptykon debut, since to me seems very logical, considering the name you chose for the band. And I'm very curious to know whom are these two artists, as well anxious to see what they have produced.

Deni
Deni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-GER wrote:

Quote:
I thought Monotheist was kind of brownish.

I was referring to the frontcover of the CD editions and not for the complete artwork.

Deni
Deni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:

Quote:

Well Knuck, I was searching something about it in my CF archives and I found it:

Quote:
deni
(2/6/03 7:55:17 am)
I don´t believe there is a specific concept to the TMT cover art. In my personal concept the Satan that appears on it would can be a metaphoric representation of the religions, for example. But I don´t think that the cover art looks like the Frost lyrics (maybe with the exception of "Dawn Of Meggido"), already that almost all of them don´t "deal" with the religion theme or something like that. The lyrics seem to be about barbaric sagas, fantasy and also philosophy. The religious "topics" appear more on MT and on some HH songs. Of course, all it IMHO. Maybe Tom have other explanations...

Tom Gabriel Fischer
Unregistered User
(2/7/03 10:02:03 am)

Deni is entirely correct. We have always viewed the Giger painting "Satan I" as a metaphoric representation of how human beings pervert the original thought behind (any) religion. We first saw "Satan I" in Giger's "Necronomicon", and the very dramatic philosophical aspect of the image totally captivated our attention. While we would have never remotely dared to compare our art to Giger's genius, we felt that his imagery and our music often projected similar worlds and thoughts.

This was exactly what we wrote to him in our first letter, and Giger later told me that he felt similarly after hearing our music (which then consisted of Hellhammer and very early CF).

It is very true that religion was no longer a main theme on "To Mega Therion", and that it also appeared only sporadically on later CF albums (it will be represented again to some extent on the new album). Coming from Hellhammer, and having gained our initial publicity during a time when Black Metal originally became known, we devoted much of our first album, "Morbid Tales", to stating our viewpoints, which were rather critical of the entire Black Metal movement and the frequent lack of serious knowledge behind the then very popular religious band images. Given that Martin and I had met through Hellhammer, and given Martin's private studies into religion and theology, we felt it was perhaps the topic we could (and should) comment on best.

After having done this on the first album, we felt we had said what we wanted to say and were very eager to move on and explore other lyrical themes. Religious references continued to make occasional appearances in our work, however, both in pictures and music/lyrics. Not only on "To Mega Therion" but also on the cover of "Into the Pandemonium", for example, or within some of the lyrics of the "Vanity/Nemesis" album. And so on.

Giger offered us the rights to use "Satan I" and "Victory III" for free. The condition was that his art could only be used for the album itself (i.e., not for merchandise) and that we had to return the original negatives to him afterwards. At that time, Giger was very happy to see his then favourite painting "Victory III" featured publicly. And we felt equally honoured and grateful. We have always kept to this agreement, but certain bootleggers have not been quite so graceful and thereby screwed and betrayed both the artist and the band.

Tom Gabriel Fischer, Zurich, Switzerland

Deni
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job on the recall, Deni. I forgot about that discussion until I started reading it again. I guess we have just about talked CF to death, at this point.

And, for the record, I do believe that Satan I fits To Mega Therion very well. In fact, at this point, I cannot imagine anything else on the cover, as it appropriately sets the mood for the album.

The cover of Monotheist certainly caught my attention and to some extent it also setg the mood for the album. But there is so much going on in the full piece and I don't understand why that specific excerpt was used. I would have appreciated a bit more explanation or direction from Martin, as Doc has already observed.

Two artists for Triptykon -- I can't help but wonder if one of them is Giger. If so, the comparisons to TMT would be endless.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Elohim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Devil using Christ as a slingshot, he actually shoots religion in your face. You are the one watching this, you are the one he is aiming at. Actually he uses christianity to attack you with, after which you fall into his grasp. Once you are assaulted by christianity, you turn against it, and you come into the devil's camp, yet it was the devil that assaulted you to begin with. It's a vicious circle, something like a mise-en-abyme, you return to the main subject of the painting.

And about the lack of religious themes on TMT: 'Dawn Of Megiddo' does refer to a bliblical place...
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a copy of Martin's commentary? I was thumbing through the old forum, but it's so awful, searches don't work.

I'm going to check in with Zane to see if he kept a copy in the site archive.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
Good job on the recall, Deni. I forgot about that discussion until I started reading it again. I guess we have just about talked CF to death, at this point.

And, for the record, I do believe that Satan I fits To Mega Therion very well. In fact, at this point, I cannot imagine anything else on the cover, as it appropriately sets the mood for the album.

The cover of Monotheist certainly caught my attention and to some extent it also setg the mood for the album. But there is so much going on in the full piece and I don't understand why that specific excerpt was used. I would have appreciated a bit more explanation or direction from Martin, as Doc has already observed.

Two artists for Triptykon -- I can't help but wonder if one of them is Giger. If so, the comparisons to TMT would be endless.

I mostly associated the theme of "war" with To Mega Therion, rather than some sort of supernatural evil. To me, the music of TMT is the music of war, and for a time, I used to listen to it ONLY back to back with ITP, while reading through Salaambo. For some reason, it fit really well.

Synagoga Satanae, to me, fits in this context as well, and perhaps even the initials of the title underscore that.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
Elohim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meggido is the place where the Battle of Armageddon will take place, the final battle between good and evil, so your interpretation of War was not that far off.
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some answers (thanks to Zane for pointing them out!) are in the FAQ section, though I'm not 100% sure my particular answer from Martin is contained here.
http://www.triptykon.net/vcf/band/FAQ.html

I will keep looking, but it may have been lost in the Great EZ Board Crash.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
Elohim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am still wondering where that 'heavy band' is that Martin and Franco founded after they obliterated Celtic Frost...
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering last night as well. Submit it to the metal archives and see...
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: