Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Triptykon artwork (update Feb 1, 2010)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Opolus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Gabriel Fischer wrote:

Sometimes I am at a loss regarding certain items discussed here.
Tom Gabriel Fischer, Zurich, Switzerland

PS: oh, and I forgot: screw Christmas.

Exclamation
Hope you don't bump into the "General Discussion" by chance then, Tom!!
THERE's some serious topics around, I'm afraid...

Other than that:
"Fuck The Turkey
Screw The Crackers
Lets Kick Santa In The Knackers"

THE LAMP OF THOTH '09
St Michael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That photo rules!
That is ART! Totally dig it.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Gabriel Fischer wrote:
Elohim wrote:
Looking at the pic on the website: why is Tom the only one out of focus?

Because everybody has already seen me ad infinitum, unlike the others.

Sometimes I am at a loss regarding certain items discussed here. Would we really post a photo that is accidentally unfocused? I mean, c'mon. A bit of imagination and artsiness, please.

DrMorbid wrote:
I thought about that as well. I figured it was simple mechanical limitations of the photo equipment, but perhaps the choice to use it is deeper in meaning-

It is not a mechanical limitation of the camera, but an intentional exploitation of the camera's capabilities by the photographer. All lenses have a depth of field, meaning that they will only render objects in focus that lie within that field. Depth of field depends, for our purposes, on two factors -- the focal length of the lens and the lens' aperature. When the "pupil" of the lens is wide open, the depth of field decreases drastically. Now, the meta-data has been stripped from the picture that appears in the news release, so I can't tell exactly what it is, but I can tell you that the aperature is very wide, or very open.

You will notice that Tom is much closer to the camera than the rest of the band. In addition, you will notice that the trees in the background are also out of focus. This is because the photographer intentionally chose to place Tom outside of the zone in which the camera is focussed, as well as choosing to render the background out of focus.

Whether it is art or artifice, I will leave for you all to decide. Personally, I think it is an interesting statement -- here is the band, but the viewer should focus on the other members, and not the "Titan." Wink It is generally against accepted compositional rules to have a person in the foreground who is out of focus. This photographer was bending that compositional rule to achieve a distinct purpose.

I am not a professional photographer, just a mere hobbyist. However, you can see the same mechanism at play here. I specifically chose a very narrow depth of field, so that even his ears are out of focus. And yes, this is a shameless plug to share a picture of my son with you all.

EDIT: BTW, our very own Aeuk takes some fantastic photos. He could probably explain this better than me.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.

Last edited by Knucklehead on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
babylon777

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Director Michael Mann uses this technique in some of his movies. Usually the camera is focused on the main subject (actor), but he does the opposite; sharp background and blurry foreground (actor). Looks great!
Deni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this technique was/is used by a lot of photographers and movies directors, like Fellini, for example, and I really like it.

It's hard to get the same effect with the usual digital cameras...

Deni
V-GER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might not know much about photography but is it really a technique? All objects can't be focused if they are in different distances or am I missing something?
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-GER wrote:
I might not know much about photography but is it really a technique? All objects can't be focused if they are in different distances or am I missing something?

The smaller the aperature (or the more closed the "pupil" in the lens is), the greater the depth of field is. At the smallest aperatures, almost everything is in focus, from a foot or two in front of the camera to infinity. There are better examples here.

In fact, on most point and shoot cameras, all objects in the capture are rendered in focus. Deni is right -- most point and shoot digital cameras cannot do what the photographer in the press photo did.

Elohim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alive!!! The Forum is Alive!!!!
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elohim wrote:
It's alive!!! The Forum is Alive!!!!

I now look back with a smile on my post in May of 2008, about the board withering into an empty space. I am grateful that that didn't happen.

Ramon1969

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Michael wrote:
That photo rules!

.... This is not BBQ...not Cheese...not Hot Sauce...this is just ART Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Special Thanks to Pete Best for this great picture and Tom for standing out of FOCUS!!!
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon1969 wrote:
St Michael wrote:
That photo rules!

.... This is not BBQ...not Cheese...not Hot Sauce...this is just ART Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Special Thanks to Pete Best for this great picture and Tom for standing out of FOCUS!!!

Did someone say BBQ?

But, seriously, I didn't realize that this was a Peter Best. That guy has done some pretty interesting work.

Galaxigrl68

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
V-GER wrote:

The smaller the aperature (or the more closed the "pupil" in the lens is), the greater the depth of field is. At the smallest aperatures, almost everything is in focus, from a foot or two in front of the camera to infinity. There are better examples here.

In fact, on most point and shoot cameras, all objects in the capture are rendered in focus. Deni is right -- most point and shoot digital cameras cannot do what the photographer in the press photo did.

He's right- the majority of the new quick-shot digital cameras simply cannot do at all, or just SUCK at making any artistic shots such as the one in question. A friend of mine let me borrow his old 60's Nikon a while back, and it's amazing the cool shots you can get simply by adjusting the focus back and forth. As well as digital imagery seems to lack a "life" that those old cameras seem to capture- take a look through some of those old "LIFE" magazine shots and it's obvious. There's a strange organic and living energy going on with those old shots that no digital camera, no matter how precise and advanced seems to be able to capture. It's kinda like the difference between vinyl and compact disc as a format. One may be just as clean or even cleaner than the other, but there's something missing...

OH and I'm with Tom- screw Xmas! Along with the consumerism based greed that this holiday brings people to. Ugh. Other than throwing an annual "Festivus" bash, I'm SUCH a scrooge, but I have to admit that over the last few days, having seen all the pretty lights and stuff around here, I am actually enjoying the festiveness of the holidays a little more than usual, so... merry Xmas!
Twisted Evil

www.myspace.com/helioscreedtributealbum
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I got my presents, now I've had enough

Who will get the reference...I wonder...
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Slurm anyone?
1349.com
darkfortress.org
vornn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like artwork but what about a Triptykon album cover featuring one of Mr.Fischer's death masks with the background shaded in or something ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: