Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Triptykon artwork (update Feb 1, 2010)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vornn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Triptykon artwork (update Feb 1, 2010) Reply with quote

HellHammer, and Celtic Frost all had cool album covers. "Monotheist" was quite a twister in itself. I imagine the same thinking process with regards to what it might be would be carried over and put into this. I am already very curious to what the album cover might look like. Yeah CF/Triptykon are two bands, but Warrior comes across to me as not just using a piece of art because it looks cool as we may all know. It has to have some sort of connection or meaning to him. What the hell might it be ?

Mod edit: Feb 1 Press Release added:

Quote:
Press Release

For Immediate Release

February 1, 2010

TRIPTYKON - "Eparistera Daimones" Album Artwork Announced

"Eparistera Daimones", the forthcoming debut album by Triptykon, the group founded by former Hellhammer/Celtic Frost singer and guitarist Tom Gabriel Warrior, is not only musically a leviathan. Remarkably, the album will also feature the epic artwork by renowned Swiss artist H.R. Giger and New York-based surrealist Vincent Castiglia.

In an exceptionally rare gesture, HR Giger has granted Triptykon the use of his dramatic painting "Vlad Tepes" (work no. 412, 200 x 140 cm, acrylic on paper on wood, 1978). It is the artist's first authorized appearance on an album cover in 17 years, and the second time he collaborates with Warrior (following Celtic Frost's "To Mega Therion" album in 1985).

Vincent Castiglia contributes "Triptykon", a specially created portrait of the members of the group, painted in the artist's own blood (86 x 86 cm, blood/iron oxide on archival paper, 2009). As Castiglia aptly put it, the amalgamation of works by HR Giger, Vincent Castiglia, and Triptykon on "Eparistera Daimones" forms a creative triptych in itself.

HR Giger: I am very proud to work with Triptykon. My art hasn't appeared on an album cover for quite some time, and I feel honored to have been approached by Tom about such a collaboration for Triptykon's very first release.

Vincent Castiglia: It's been a tremendous honor to work with both Triptykon and HR Giger on the forthcoming release of, "Eparistera Daimones". It was a project of enormous depth for me, conceptually as well as visually. I think the resonance between Triptykon's music, Giger's art, and my work is extremely powerful, and it coalesces in quite an amazing, and singular way.

Tom Gabriel Warrior: We feel deeply privileged to be able to adorn our very first album with the work of two artists we respect enormously. To us, their astonishing contributions convey significant symbolism both with respect to our personal frame of mind as well as for this particular album and its history.

It is an immense pleasure to be able to work with HR Giger again. He was one of our most significant mentors during the days of Hellhammer and early Celtic Frost, and he is an extraordinary human being and an artist without equal.

Vincent Castiglia has become a close friend in recent years, and we both sensed that the time had come to create something truly unique together. I am infinitely grateful that he has lent us his incredible talent, not least because I know he incorporates as much passion, darkness, and pain into his work as I do, too.

Click each link below to view the respective cover:

Triptykon “Eparistera Daimones” Mediabook CD Cover

Triptykon “Eparistera Daimones” Double LP Cover

"Eparistera Daimones" will also feature detailed credits, full lyrics and extensive liner notes to all songs and will be released via Century Media Records under exclusive license from Prowling Death Records Ltd. on March 22nd, 2010 (Europe) and March 23rd, 2010 (North America).

Two songs from “Eparistera Daimones” can already be heard at the band’s official MySpace profile: www.myspace.com/triptykonofficial

Upcoming Triptykon live shows:

16.04.2010 Tilburg (The Netherlands) – 013 / Roadburn Festival

30.04.2010 Barroselas (Portugal) – SWR Barroselas Metalfest

www.hrgiger.com, www.hrgigermuseum.com

www.VincentCastiglia.com, www.myspace.com/vincentcastiglia

www.triptykon.net, www.myspace.com/triptykonofficial

www.centurymedia.com
Elohim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Tom's rekindled friendship with H.R. Giger, I sincerely hope 'Eparistera Daimones' will feature some Giger artwork...
Dziadzio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elohim wrote:
With Tom's rekindled friendship with H.R. Giger, I sincerely hope 'Eparistera Daimones' will feature some Giger artwork...

I doubt it, Tom was never eager to repeat himself, but that would be fascinating nonetheless.
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...anything but Travis Smith at this point. I like Travis' art, and he's incredibly talented, but after a certain point, he became ubiquitous, instantly recognizable (though that's not bad when one isn't over-exposed), and somewhat too disconnected from the contents of the albums, almost as if bands were picking from a catalog of ready made art at a certain point. Metal needs more imagination, rather than going to a known name all the time and relying on that.

He is also responsible for many classic works that are amazing, like Zero Hour's first two albums, Death's last album, Opeth, etc.

He has lots of instances where he breaks away, such as with Opeth, but I think he's become overexposed at this point.

http://www.seempieces.com/GalleryFrameset.html
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or Ed Repka Wink
1349.com
darkfortress.org
Deni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the artwork for the Triptykon debut should be something with the predominance of red color, in counterpoint to the black/white cover of "Monotheist".

The red color was used with black on "Morbid Tales" and also is the predominant color of the George Grosz paiting that CF would use to the never released "Under Apollyon Sun".

Perhaps Tom already has the art finished by himself... Anyway there'a a lot of artists whom could to do some good work for Triptykon.

Michal "Xaay" Loranc is a graphic designer who has worked with a lot of bands, like Megadeth, Nile, Necrophagist and Behemoth between others.

http://xaay.deviantart.com/gallery/#

My two cents...

Deni
V-GER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Monotheist was kind of brownish. If this is subscribed as a tryptch, then the same color or colors should not be used. Obviously some kind of dark artwork is in order. Artwork to me should be very personal and relate to the lyrical material.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing for certain -- we won't expect it.

Frankly, the artwork (and liner notes!) are the other reason that I can't wait to hold this CD in my hands.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deni wrote:
I think the artwork for the Triptykon debut should be something with the predominance of red color, in counterpoint to the black/white cover of "Monotheist".

The red color was used with black on "Morbid Tales" and also is the predominant color of the George Grosz paiting that CF would use to the never released "Under Apollyon Sun".

Perhaps Tom already has the art finished by himself... Anyway there'a a lot of artists whom could to do some good work for Triptykon.

The artwork for "Eparistera Daimones" has been selected for one-and-a-half years already. It has nothing to do whatsoever with the artwork used on "Monotheist". The latter was a project guided entirely by Martin Eric Ain, and I have never been able to identify with it. Nor did I ever like it or deem it worthy of appearing on a Celtic Frost album. I felt this way long before the group fell apart, and I expressed these sentiments even when seeing the earliest drafts, over a year or so before "Monotheist" became a reality. It is simply a matter of taste (or perception).

I thus never felt bound to follow or continue the path used for the artwork on "Monotheist", and I was delighted to follow my own instincts for the concept and artwork to be used on "Eparistera Daimones". The artwork that will thus appear on the album is as exceptional and powerful as it can possibly be. It is also the artwork I was going to fight for in order to have it on the next Celtic Frost album. It is a huge honor to work with the artist in question.

Moreover, Triptykon were fortunate enough to work with a second accomplished artist and close friend of mine, whose very unique and personal contribution has made the album even more special (my own, very biased opinion, of course).

The collaboration of these two artists with the band renders "Eparistera Daimones" a triptych in itself.

Tom Gabriel Fischer, Nürnberg, Germany
Galaxigrl68

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Gabriel Fischer wrote:

The artwork for "Eparistera Daimones" has been selected for one-and-a-half years already. It has nothing to do whatsoever with the artwork used on "Monotheist". The latter was a project guided entirely by Martin Eric Ain, and I have never been able to identify with it. Nor did I ever like it or deem it worthy of appearing on a Celtic Frost album. I felt this way long before the group fell apart, and I expressed these sentiments even when seeing the earliest drafts, over a year or so before "Monotheist" became a reality. It is simply a matter of taste (or perception).

I thus never felt bound to follow or continue the path used for the artwork on "Monotheist", and I was delighted to follow my own instincts for the concept and artwork to be used on "Eparistera Daimones". The artwork that will thus appear on the album is as exceptional and powerful as it can possibly be. It is also the artwork I was going to fight for in order to have it on the next Celtic Frost album. It is a huge honor to work with the artist in question.

Moreover, Triptykon were fortunate enough to work with a second accomplished artist and close friend of mine, whose very unique and personal contribution has made the album even more special (my own, very biased opinion, of course).

The collaboration of these two artists with the band renders "Eparistera Daimones" a triptych in itself.

Well thank you, Tom, for sharing what you are able to, without ruining the surprise, about what we can expect for the artwork- as well as making known your feelings about the artwork for Monotheist- that came as a surprise, I had no idea you felt so disconnected to it. I know that the appropriate matching of visual imagery to music is very important, so I'm sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction- and discomfort with it, as it sounds.

BUT I want to look forward and not back so I'm very, very glad that Tom is running the show when it comes to artistic decisions! Unlike many musicians whose creative decisions should be limited to what riff goes where in a song, Tom is clearly blessed with a talent for the visual arts- creating his own for one, but as well the ability to "see" the music and affix just the right imagery to suit. And I honestly think that's why he and Giger "get" each other...but back to the subject at hand, I guess whatever we see when we at long last have the hard copy of the album in our hands will make sense. I don't feel like I should even speculate on what "type" of art it will be, but based on the music so far, and the photos and the images we've seen as yet, I'm envisioning something obviously dark (duh!)- mostly in greyscale but hints of deep blue? I wonder if the medium will be painting, photography, drawing, or...time will tell! It'll be badass whatever it is, and hopefully Tom will be able to share with us some details about it once the album is released.

www.myspace.com/helioscreedtributealbum
Opolus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is simply a matter of taste (or perception).

Most obviously, as I deem the artwork (all incarnations on whatever format) for "Monotheist" as one of the most striking and best visual presentations of the last decade, very fitting to the content as well!
peterott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to my hometown Smile

I hope you had a nice visit on several historic places here that are currently not filled up with Christkindlesmarkt madness... Wink
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very eager to see the art created for this album. This is going to be the total creative package I think..... visual and audible.
1349.com
darkfortress.org
St Michael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, this will be an album for the deaf or the blind to enjoy! Laughing
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely an interesting heads-up from Tom. As I said before, I will look forward to holding this CD in my hands so we can look at the artwork.

Stepping back a minute, I never really did connect with the artwork for Monotheist. It surely was sinister, but I never could determine what the connection was to the lyrical content of the album. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but Satan I fit To Mega Therion well, setting an atmosphere of surrealilty and creepiness. I suppose the same argument could be made that there was nothing Satanic or overtly anti-christian in the lyrical content of TMT, so the same disconnect was present. For some reason, I can't help but thinking of some sort of diseased and evil Yggdrasil when looking at the full artwork for Monotheist.

Getting to the point -- does anyone know what the title of the art was?

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: