Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
ONLY DEATH IS REAL... Bazillion Points Books FAQ/Info Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazillion Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: ONLY DEATH IS REAL... Bazillion Points Books FAQ/Info Thread Reply with quote

Greetings from Bazillion Points Books. This is Ian Christe, I'm the publisher of ONLY DEATH IS REAL: An Illustrated History of Hellhammer and Early Celtic Frost 1981–1985, and I'm creating this thread to tackle any and all questions relating to this landmark work by Tom Gabriel Fischer.

My relationship with this band goes back 26 years to the demo tape era, when I read about Hellhammer in the supreme underground metal fanzine Kick*Ass Monthly. I was astounded by their crude music, and became a devotee. I met Tom years later while working on my metal history book Sound of the Beast. It's unreal to me that here we sit on the verge of publication of this monolithic document of the Hellhammer years. But life is like that—unreal.

So first, some photos—these are finished production samples we received this week. Just for reference, the open-faced books measure about a half-yard / half-meter across, and weigh just under 4 lbs. (1.8 kg):

As you might know, ONLY DEATH IS REAL became available for presale at bazillionpoints.com on January 1, 2010, the anniversary of the first-ever Hellhammer photo session in Birchwil, Switzerland, in 1983. The official release date is March 30, 2010.

We have created what I feel is a substantial document of one of the most significant artists in heavy metal history. The photos, the narrative prose, and possibly even the memorabilia could all stand alone as separate editions, but Tom has combined everything here in one powerful package and we supported that with a unique and deluxe edition.

I want to point out that though I and everyone at Bazillion Points are Hellhammer fans, we are also a mainstream publisher, at least in terms of how our books are sold. This book will NOT be a limited edition, collectors-only kind of thing. Like all of our titles, you can order ONLY DEATH IS REAL using its ISBN 978-09796163-9-6 through any connected bookstore worldwide. Info on our partners is available on our site, and I'll be happy to answer any specific questions about availability, either on this thread or via PM.

Thank you—and special thanks to all supporters who waited patiently for this publication date for several years. We have worked diligently towards this goal since we arrived in the picture in April 2009, and I hope ONLY DEATH IS REAL wildly surpasses your highest expectations.

***UPDATE March 13, 2010:

We have successfully received delivery of ONLY DEATH IS REAL at our warehouse in New York, and are in the process of shipping all preorders as quickly as possible. Delivery time for mail orders depends on proximity—readers in this region have already reported receipt, and farther locations can expect receipt by the end of the month at latest.

Thank you everyone for your support and patience during this production!

Beast wishes,

IAN

"The book is always better than the movie."

Last edited by Bazillion Points on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian -- welcome aboard. You should definitely feel free to hang out here, because you are among a bunch of like-minded people.

Preliminarily, I want to offer my congratulations on the publication of the edition. It looks like it is going to be absolutely fantastic.

On a sidenote, Martin's quote on the back of the book is quite provocative. I will be very interested to see what the context is.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome Ian! I am definitely getting the book as part of the collectors package of Eparistera Daimones. Looks really fantastic.
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Thanks for joining. I'm a New Yorker living out in Germany.

I was hoping to get clarification for those outside of the US, with regard to the shipping costs and methods and how they are calculated. Additionally, what are the charges for North America, outside of the US, as well as the non-continental US?

Also, how does import duty work? Is duty applied that customers should watch out for, with respect to Canada, Mexico, Europe non-EU, and Europe EU?
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com

Last edited by DrMorbid on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
exan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Bloody Roots every week. Now I hear Ian's voice while reading the thread.

Book looks great so far. Definitely getting it.
peterott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is there a distribution/distro in Europe that will carry the book ?
Elohim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also going to secure the book in the extra deluxe package with the vinyl version, the cd, the ep and the book...
Bazillion Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ian -- welcome aboard. You should definitely feel free to hang out here, because you are among a bunch of like-minded people.

Cheers! Thank you.

Quote:
Listen to Bloody Roots every week. Now I hear Ian's voice while reading the thread.

Hey, that's great! Today's show was very special—the 40th birthday of Black Sabbath's debut album. I've been gorging on Sabbath all day, and look forward to a ritual midnight viewing of Mario Bava's film Black Sabbath.

Quote:
I was hoping to get clarification for those outside of the US, with regard to the shipping costs and methods and how they are calculated. Additionally, what are the charges for North America, outside of the US, as well as the non-continental US?

Yes, any order from bazillionpoints.com will cost a flat $39.95 within the US and a flat $64.95 outside the US. There are no additional postage fees, as shipping is incorporated into the cost (and is essentially free for US orders in all 50 states). Any orders outside the US are shipped via USPS Priority Mail (5-7 day delivery worldwide). All orders anywhere are trackable and insured for full value.

Just for perspective, you probably own a few 180g "audiophile" vinyl pressings? ONLY DEATH IS REAL weighs about 1.8Kg, or almost exactly the same as ten of those LPs.

In order to offset the high cost of shipping, we have made the book completely awesome. (I would add a smiley here, except I'm not kidding!)

Quote:
Also, how does import duty work? Is duty applied that customers should watch out for, with respect to Canada, Mexico, Europe non-EU, and Europe EU?

Duties vary by nation. The UK does not levy a tariff on books at all, while Denmark does charge a steep import tax. Every country has its own rules for VAT and customs. Unless specifically requested otherwise, the value of ONLY DEATH IS REAL will appear on the manifest as $29.95 (purchase price minus shipping), so please factor that into your calculations, depending on VAT and duty requirements in your country. That is necessary for us to insure the books for their full value.

I believe VAT on books in Germany is 7%, but I could be wrong about that.

Quote:
And is there a distribution/distro in Europe that will carry the book ?

Yes, certainly. We have relationships already with many of good metal mail orders and stores in Europe—Repulsive SE, Obscene CZ, Xtreem ES, Cyclone Empire DE, Legion of Death FR, to name a few. And we are in the process of adding dozens more. There may be some delays here because we are fighting a bigger battle by trying to incorporate all of the music distros into our full distribution arrangement with Turnaround Publisher Services in the UK. They are the ones who will be getting ONLY DEATH IS REAL into HMV, FNAC, and so on, so they need to take the lead.

Does that help? I'm trying to be thorough, hope it's not too long-winded!

Thank you for noticing this great book!

Elohim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually wonder if it is going to be carried by the big online stores like Bol.com or Amazon...
Opolus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bazillion Points"]
Quote:

Thank you for noticing this great book!

You're kidding here, Ian, aren't you!? Thank YOU (and Tom for that matter of course!) for making this BIBLE a reality!! Fuck customs, postage rates, whatever, as I'm 100 % sure any price will be worth it! I'll most certainly not be corresponding to the outside world (except for my fiancee) for DAYS, playing HH on end, after getting this one!! Twisted Evil
Bazillion Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elohim wrote:
I actually wonder if it is going to be carried by the big online stores like Bol.com or Amazon...

Yes, the book will be carried by those big online stores. The European Amazons will not have the book immediately, but they certainly will eventually. Other Bazillion Points books like SWEDISH DEATH METAL, HELLBENT FOR COOKING, and SHERIFF McCOY are all available through Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, etc.

For example, Flipkart.com does a great job of importing our books to India!

Opolus wrote:
Thank YOU (and Tom for that matter of course!) for making this BIBLE a reality!!

Of course! Tom did a fantastic amount of work writing, compiling images, tracking down old colleagues for their perspectives...everything down to final production. I'll spare you singing the book's praises too much at this moment, but when this particular author puts this much time and attention into a project, the results are bound to be impressive.

Elohim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about the American Book Center? There is one five minutes away from here...
Bazillion Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elohim wrote:
And what about the American Book Center? There is one five minutes away from here...

Thanks Elohim—that looks like a perfect spot for ONLY DEATH IS REAL in Holland. I just wrote their buyers, so we should be able to get books into their stores.

If anyone else has other likely prospects to share, please get in touch, thanks!

DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thalia booksellers in Germany? That's the one I see that's comparable to a Barnes and Nobles, and just about everywhere.

thalia.de

I'll see if I can get a line on others.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bazillion Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMorbid wrote:
Thalia booksellers in Germany?

Thanks—yes, they carry Bazillion Points books and should have Only Death Is Real before long.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: