Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Triptykon Press, Interviews, Reviews, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemesisusurper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another one -

http://www.fueled-magazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=245:triptykon-eparistera-daimones&catid=34:reviews&Itemid=53

Early eighties , NWOBHM exploded in Great Brittain. Thomas Gabriel Fisher, a young Swiss went to London to get his hands on some rare vinyl. He returns with a 7 inch single by the band Venom. Fisher decided to play the record on 33 instead of 45 rpm. The sound of Hellhammer was born. In 1984 he formed Celtic Frost together with his Hellhammer body Martin Ain. The band split up for the first time in the early nineties, only to come back once more in 2007 with the album 'Monotheist'. They split up again, after the world tour. Triptykon was born.

Review:
Musical geniallity is something strange, not everybody can accept. For example: when Celtic Frost splitted up in the ninetees, he formed Apolyon's Sun and released one full album that has got no references to CF. So, what would triptykon sound like? My dear friends, don't be affraid. This IS the follow up of CF 'Monotheist'! The album contains nine songs betweem 1:43 and 19:22. All songs, except for "Shrine", are longer than five minutes. Tom Warrior sounds better than ever and sings with different voices which gives the album a big boost. Everything I expected is really on the album. After two songs (good for twenty minutes of music), we have a first break. It reminds me a bit at the 'Into The Pandemonium'-sessions at this point. No problem, the song gets really heavy in the middle. "Shrine", the next song, could be a new version of 'Danse Macabre'. A third rest point we get at song number eight, "My Pain", with nice female vocals. Let this song grow because it's very good! Also a big salute to HR Giger, who did the album cover -once more-. I'm gonna play the album once more... OOOUUUGGGH!!!

The translation of the album title is "To My Left, The Demons" for those who are not into Ancient Greek.

Conclusion:
Fans of the old Celtic Frost (Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion): take a listen first and give the album a chance. For those who liked 'Monotheist', they can buy this album without a doubt.

93/100
Zane Reed Johnson
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another review, this time from "The Plague":

the-plague.net review

www.celticfrost.com
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
bobbyIII

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pretty so-so review from antiMusic.com

Quote:
After parting ways with the legendary Celtic Frost, singer/guitarist Tom Gabriel Fischer told an interviewer that his next project would "sound as close to Celtic Frost as is humanly possible." If that was really his goal, he's accomplished it with Triptykon: The group's debut, Eparistera Daimones, is basically Monotheist Part II.

That's not a completely bad thing. Monotheist was a terrifying and unique record, and judged on quality alone, Eparistera Daimones is nearly its equal. However, especially in light of the new band name, many will wonder if Fischer shouldn't have changed things up just a little bit more.

"Goetia" gets things off to an ominous start. Lonely guitars chug in the darkness for about two minutes before the full mix kicks in—and once it gets going, this is one of the more aggressive tracks, complete with double bass drums and Fischer's trademark edgy, deep guitar tone. The chorus of "Lord, have mercy upon me" evokes some of the similar religion-themed chants from Monotheist (remember "Oh God, why have you forsaken me" from "Ground"?).

Next up is "Abyss Within My Soul," which showcases the other side of the band with slow, droning riffs. The problem is that it's a bit by-the-book—and this problem recurs throughout the record. Lots of tracks here are just standard Celtic Frost fare: "Descendant" and "The Prolonging," for example, could have appeared on Monotheist without disrupting the style or affecting the overall quality.

Even the things that made Celtic Frost unusual are represented here, seemingly out of obligation. Female guest vocals? Check ("In Shrouds Decayed," "My Pain"). A track that prominently features Fischer's gifts as a classical composer? Check (the piano breakdown in "Myopic Empire").

Perhaps the only song to stand out stylistically is "A Thousand Lives," a super-fast thrash track—but unfortunately, it doesn't stand out so much in terms of songwriting. In fact, it's something of a throwaway, with senseless yelling, relentless drum pounding, and brain-dead guitar riffs.

The sad truth about Eparistera Daimones is that even if it had been released under the Celtic Frost name, it would have sounded a little too similar to Monotheist. Fans of Frost's parting shot will find this to be a worthy, if hardly breathtaking, follow-up; everyone else can safely pass.

--Robert VerBruggen is an associate editor at National Review. You can follow his writing at http://www.google.com/profiles/robertv4311.

http://www.antimusic.com/reviews/10/Triptykon_-_Eparistera_Daimones.shtm
Zane Reed Johnson
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another review, this time from PowerOfMetal.dk:

PowerofMetal.dk Review
www.celticfrost.com
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
babylon777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More reviews:

[German]

http://www.metal.de/cdreviews.php4?was=review&id=14237

http://www.musikreviews.de/reviews/2010/Triptykon/Eparistera-Daimones/

http://www.stormbringer.at/reviews.php?id=4873[/url]

http://powermetal.de/review/review-Triptykon/Eparistera_Daimones,15474.html
Opolus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New issue of (German) "Rock Hard" features a glowing 10/10 review as well as a pretty extensive (4 pages) and very candid interview with Tom. Actually one of the best ones I've read within the last couple of years or in general.
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/03/18/talkin-triptykon-with-tom-g-warrior-fischer/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Metalsucks+%28MetalSucks%29

From metalsucks, with a long introduction. Still reading through, and not bad so far.

Edit: I believe there are LOTS of typos in that interview, enough to change meanings to some degree in some places.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zane Reed Johnson
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please go to the official Triptykon YouTube page for Part 1 of a video interview with Tom:

Triptykon YouTube Page
www.celticfrost.com
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: the author of the Metalsucks interview corrected his mistakes in the comments.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nemesisusurper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stereokiller.com/newsreviews/article.cfm?Review=Triptykon-Eparistera%20Daimones&intarticleid=9088

There is no question as to the metal pedigree of Thomas Gabriel Fischer. Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Apollyon Sun. I did not know that Triptycon was his latest endeavor when I listened to the this, and I am not sure whether that means I should look at it through a different lens, or be annoyed that it wasn't a better album.

I have one guiding principle as a music reviewer and it goes something like this: Would I listen to an album again? Depending on what degree that repeat listening entails, that's usually how I decide what to rate. So, never having heard Triptykon or anything about them and just seeing it labeled as 'black metal' I braced myself for impact. What I heard was not quite black metal although the influence is clearly there. I'm reminded of Satyricon in spots, but vocal-wise, production-wise, riff-wise, this is a couple steps removed from what most people think when they read 'black metal'.

I have to admit that it's pretty ballsy to start off your album with an 11-minute song, however, "ballsy" doesn't always translate into "good". Goetia is a long, meandering, trudging song that has few hooks and lyrics that are just abysmally bad. I don't mind the riffs in the song- in fact, the riffs on this album are doom-laden and sludgy with a guitar tone more suited to bands like The Sword, Type-O Negative, High on Fire, and of course, Celtic Frost. This song, and the album, suffer from a severe case of repetition and snooze-inducing boredom. There are a few shining spots, like the delicate female vocals in I Shroud Decayed, that stand out among the meh, but not too many.

Every now and then, we get a thrash break that sounds like nu-Sepultura or nu-Slayer, but for the most part these songs are slow and plodding. Heavy riffing abounds but when one leads into the other, none of them clearly stand out. I do think that Triptycon is best when they take the volume down and do mellow, ambient breaks with gothy male and female vocals. That's where the gold is on this album, not in the barely-recycled progression from Celtic Frost's last album, Monotheist. The production on this is shiny and glossy, it sounds very well done, but the music is by and large boring, the album is way too long, and the lyrics are pretentious and silly.

Unless you're a diehard Fischer/Celtic Frost fan, you'll probably fall into the same category as I am in- apathetic. I would probably not listen to this again as there was nothing on it to bring me back. If, however, you love Celtic Frost, especially their last album, you'll probably be into this. So, not horrible, but not what I'm into. Guess it's a niche thing.
nemesisusurper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/community/blog/18964

When Celtic Frost reunited in 2001 after an eight-year hiatus, the metal community responded with resounding jubilation. The 2006 release of Monotheist was a momentous occasion for fans worldwide, marking a new chapter in Celtic Frost's history. The anticipation of waiting for a new album, though, was soon replaced by the universal dismay and outrage felt when Celtic Frost disbanded again in 2008. It seemed that Tom Gabriel "Warrior" Fischer would not grace the world with his artistic genius in extreme metal again. Which is why, when Fischer announced the formation of a new project called Triptykon, fans were clamoring for new music immediately. Fischer declared that he wanted Triptykon to sound similar to Celtic Frost's sound on Monotheist, aiming for a dark, experimental vibe that would still be unique in its own way. Eparistera Daimones, the first Triptykon studio album, accomplishes just that, bringing together several genres of metal to create a soundscape similar to Celtic Frost, but with its own distinctive and breathtaking twists.

The most prominent aspect of Eparistera Daimones is the overwhelming heaviness of every element in the sound. The guitars are always at the forefront of the sound, dominating the pace and direction of the music in every aspect. Fischer mixes up his vocals, using a raspy singing voice, aggressive spoken word, and his signature growls, all with great effect. There is a pervasive sense of vicious anger to his voice throughout the album, as if he is trying to contain some simmering rage within himself. With the addition of a throbbing bass track and meticulous, polished drumming, Triptykon's sound is a blend of the best bands in extreme progressive metal. In addition to the obvious Celtic Frost comparison, fans will also detect elements of Gojira, Opeth, Katatonia, and Dødheimsgard when listening to Triptykon.

The variety of sound and the ability to effortlessly shift from one subgenre to another are what make Triptykon so special. Fischer melds progressive metal, thrash metal, black metal, death metal, and doom metal into an extremely avant-garde style that ebbs and flows from one style into another between and within songs, while simultaneously maintaining a constant ambience that permeates every second of the album. Whether shredding on a Slayer-esque guitar solo, plodding through droning slow parts, or surging over complex polyrhythmic sections, there is a unifying atmosphere to the entire album that holds everything together. This distinct unification brings this album up from being just a great album to being a truly exceptional piece of musical mastery.

Metal fans worldwide have received a remarkable gift in the form of Eparistera Daimones. Not since Opeth released Blackwater Park has a single album been so incredibly unique and excellent in all aspects of its music, both in composition and performance. Triptykon are exceptional in both their similarity to the band that fathered them and in their sonic separation from that band. If Fischer is able to maintain his output with this band, metal fans could see Triptykon take the place of Celtic Frost as his greatest contribution to the world of music. This band is truly special, and every metal fan will find something about them that is worth listening to.
Elohim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy from stereokiller, is that the condition his stereo is in or is it the name of the website? That must be the first really bad review for this album in a long time. On april 1 Lords of Metal will come with a review.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elohim wrote:
The guy from stereokiller, is that the condition his stereo is in or is it the name of the website? That must be the first really bad review for this album in a long time.

Oh, the anachronisms. How can Triptykon possibly sound like Satyricon?! Just the other day, I was listening to The Age of Nero and I couldn't help but think, "Satyr was obviously influenced by Warrior." It is not everywhere, but there are fleeting moments when a note is bent that you can hear it.

So, again, how is that possible? The answer? "It is not."

That guy admitted his ignorance upfront, which was nice. I would have taken him more seriously if he knew something about anything.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Elohim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one rule at Lords of Metal: if it is not up your alley, don't review it. I had one time that I had to send an album back, because I couldn't get through it, although I could hear it was quality.
If it is not up your alley, don't review it. In the end you make a joke out of yourself. Now you give a band an average or a minus just because it's not your kind of music. That's the same thing asking me to review the latest release by Ratt...
Akhenaton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesisusurper wrote:
http://www.stereokiller.com/newsreviews/article.cfm?Review=Triptykon-Eparistera%20Daimones&intarticleid=9088

..I am not sure whether that means I should look at it through a different lens, or be annoyed that it wasn't a better album.
I have one guiding principle as a music reviewer and it goes something like this: Would I listen to an album again? Depending on what degree that repeat listening entails, that's usually how I decide what to rate.
Unless you're a diehard Fischer/Celtic Frost fan, you'll probably fall into the same category as I am in- apathetic. I would probably not listen to this again as there was nothing on it to bring me back. Guess it's a niche thing.

... Usually a respectable 'Journalist' should not let on that - a) they are not qualified for their assignment - b) That they are ignorant enough to use their own highly subjective passing 'tastes' as the medium of judgement, instead of a more developed & professional method of criticism - c) that the reviewer, most likely, only listened to the album once. & -d) that the reviewer has the audacity to consider himself the 'voice of the majority'; while any who do not share his "tastes", must be a fringe group of people without this good "taste".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 2 of 27

Jump to: