Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Triptykon Press, Interviews, Reviews, etc.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Triptykon Press, Interviews, Reviews, etc. Reply with quote

Post whatever you find here. They're going to be coming out soon...
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LK Thurisaz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit to nemesisusurper for finding this first:

http://www.imhotep.no/?did=9096600&aid=9069486

…blah blah blah Hellhammer blah blah Celtic Frost blah Apollyon Sun blah blah blah regret and don’t wanna talk blah blah write a book instead blah blah blah darker than darkest and continuation of Celtic Frost blah blah…

Ah, goodies for Blabbermouth and other sites, these problems within bands such as Celtic Frost and Megadeth and others… And we, the ones who care, we click in, click out and somehow manage to remember all the meaningless information that doesn’t help us to become better humans…, or worse for that matter. In the end of all the bullshit there are people writing songs, eventually turning into albums. Tom G. Warrior is one artist making music and between all his ramblings and me there are probably pain, a thousand lies, his pain and whatnot. To be completely Roy [sic] with you, I must say that I don’t care for a single second since the only thing that connects to me is the music. And from my narcissistic point of view the only thing I care about when I listen to music is the tones, the sound and the atmosphere(s). Tom and his companions in the abyss can sit deep within the chambers of death and drink bloodred wine for all I care…

First off, this album is not as dark as “Monotheist”. Now, there I used the M-word… The atmosphere is quite similar as a whole, no doubt, but “Eparistera Daimones” is not as heavy and not so filthy. And in my book, not as good. I have tried to figure out why, because the ingredients are basically the same. Well, after some 15 spins… Ahem, guess we have to skip the spin-word in this MP3 world (yes, we do actually download promos in these modern fucking times)! After some 15 listenings I finally realized what is wrong. It’s actually just one track, but it ruins much of the whole for me. I mean, the first three tracks are all great, the last four tracks are all great. But “A Thousand Lies”, which is an uptempo track, breaks the mood completely and I need time to come back to the atmosphere again, with the result that great tracks such as “Descendant” and “Myopic Empire” suffer more than necessary. Of course, I could always skip “A Thousand Lies” but my ramblings deal with the whole album, not my favourite pieces.

Triptykon…, or Tom if you will, has penned a heavy beast that demands some time. I think the small piano parts are great, the female vocals are fitting and the heaviness is great, with the closer 19.23 minutes “The Prolonging” kind of concludes the filth. The sound is clear, yet dirty and dark enough. Tom’s vocals sound great. And there are some sections that are outstanding, such as the kind of chorus in opener “Goetia”.
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online review of "Eparistera Daimones" on the site "roarezine". Score 4/5.

Link to the article: eparistera review

(Google) translated text from the review:

Tom Gabriel Fischer, also known by his stage name Tom Gabriel Warrior, has again something new from nothing. After having acquired a name with Celtic Frost he continues making music that sounds as Celtic Frost, but now with his new band: Tryptikon. It has been two years since this project was announced, but now it is arriving, the record Eparistera Daimones.

The cover is actually pretty cool and seems to H.R. Giger artwork, what it might simply is. That is a bit industrial. I am a little skeptical, because there really is not much of substance has long been made by Mr. Fischer. In fact, the last thing he really impressed me was with Celtic Frosts Into the Pandemonium. Of course everyone may totally disagree if you want. My doubts are removed from the heavy, swampy sound of opener "Goetia". The number eleven minutes late takes a while to hear that Tryptikon indeed realizes that twenty years elapsed. The music is remarkably slow, for example, "Decayed In Shrouds.

That perhaps explains the role of guest curator for Tom G Warrior to play at Roadburn 2010. This he will do on April 16, when Tryptikon also occurs naturally. Fear not, the band does not sound like a disguised stoner-doom band, because hard pruning, the band also example "A Thousand Lies". Itself shows the band leader heard his voice still in good order. Raw and savage roars he's on the aforementioned song that sounds so heavy that it reminds pent steel scraping on asphalt. With a calm between the number has 'Shrine' surprised the band again, which sounds like a slow swelling, unworldly monks choir. "Myonic Empire" again, has quiet piano parts, alternating with the pruning using blunt music we know of Celtic Frost and Hellhammer.

Another notable track is "My Pain". With singer and slowly building ambient does this show more like a band like Ulver, then the rather doorzee legal music Fischer with his previous bands managed to produce. Valve "Prolonging The" lasts twenty minutes and gradually builds to an epic song with sounds slowly dragging to explode. Unwieldy bass drums to accompany the pounding heavily on good weather to steam. Not only brute force is what Tryptikon to make a cool sounding band, including for example the middle singing this song sounds ominous. The unearthly feeling of uneasiness that the band occasionally cause makes this band knows how to make really bold to listen. Despite my prejudices, this is really a very cool album. So the fans of the heavier, slower metal work, wait for a while yet, he is almost in the store.
Zane Reed Johnson
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat related, here is an interview with Vincent Castiglia regarding the "Triptykon" portrait from Noisecreep:

Vincent Castiglia Interview
www.celticfrost.com
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
Zane Reed Johnson
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interview with Tom conducted by Decibel Magazine:

Tom/Decibel Magazine Interview
www.celticfrost.com
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
Opolus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zane Reed Johnson wrote:
Here is an interview with Tom conducted by Decibel Magazine:

Tom/Decibel Magazine Interview

Thanx for that link, Zane!

I’m totally outspoken against artificial evilness. So many bands do it. If you artificially create evil lyrics or evil music so that you look like a man and in reality your band isn’t into it and doesn’t live that lifestyle then you have nothing in common with the things you’re singing or writing about. I look down on that.

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Tom's interviews (especially of recent times) are certainly a great read indeed! Always being candid and passionate, never kissing ass (as so many other "extreme" Metal musicians do nowadays), while behaving very appropriate towards the interviewers, namely, if you're a lazy sod journalist, not having done your homework, you're obviously fucked!!

P.S.
He mentioned the p-word again, btw!? Laughing
LK Thurisaz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Best review I've read so far (from M-A Forum):

"This will be a mammoth of an album. They should release a 360 gram vinyl version. that's how heavy this album will literally be."

Sweet!
I.G.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best review I´ve seen so far, but still ok.

From "Allschools Network", in German.

Quote:
As Celtic Frost arose from Hellhammer’s ashes, so arises Triptykon from Celtic Frost’s ashes.“ Das war klar, dass dem Vater der “Uuuh”- und “Ahhh”s immer noch die Finger jucken. Aber warum auch nicht? „Monotheist“ war ein herausragendes Comeback, welches bewies, dass CELTIC FROST selbst über 20 Jahre nach großen Klassikern wie „Morbid Tales“ oder „To Mega Therion“ noch Maßstabe setzen können. Ein Album, so düster, so experimentell, und doch so direkt. Aber vor allem: Ein Album, welches den CELTIC FROST-Kosmos nochmal völlig neuerfand, dabei aber irgendwie immer noch denselben Flow von ´84 in sich trägt. Der erneute Split bei CELTIC FROST selbst soll ja auch nur aufgrund persönlicher Differenzen zu Stande gekommen sein – nicht, weil einen irgendwie der kreative Akku ausgegangen wäre. Konsequenz: Papa Tom Warrior schart ein neues Team um sich (mit sogar recht beachtlichen Referenzen wie DARK FORTRESS oder FEAR MY THOUGHTS) und macht mit TRIPTYKON da weiter, wo er mit „Monotheist" angefangen/aufgehört hat.

Man muss schon entgegnen: Nicht die einfachste Aufgabe, nach einem Album wie „Monotheist“ weiter zu machen. Doch eigentlich kann sich Warrior ja erst mal zurücklehnen, schließlich hat er ja jetzt den Sound schlechthin gefunden, der ihm wieder jung machen wird. Das macht er dann auch mit „Eparistera Daimones“: Schleppende, megatief gestimmte Gitarren, reichlich Rückkopplungen, menschenhassende, unendlich düstere Atmosphäre und ein Querschnitt aus sehr direkten und eher in die Länge gezogenen, aufbauenden Momenten bilden das musikalische Fundament. Zudem geben sich auch TRIPTYKON einer gewissen gothischen Affinität hin, wirken aber zu keiner Zeit kitschig, wenn sich beispielsweise (wie auch auf „Monotheist“ – nur weitaus seltener) klarer, weiblicher Gesang ins grundsätzlich irgendwo zwischen Black Metal und Sludge einzuordnende Klanggerüst fügt.

Dazu muss aber gesagt werden, dass Warrior sonst nie so der Typ war, der sich gerne zurücklehnt. Unter all den Metal Bands von damals gehören CELTIC FROST nämlich ganz sicher nicht zu der Sorte, die auf Rumpelthrashriffs und Chorus-Riff-Schemen hängen geblieben sind: Spätestens mit „Into the Pandemonium“ ließ man auch avantgardische Züge zu, ohne dabei jedoch in irgendeiner Weise zu verleugnen, wo man her kommt. Über die Qualität einiger späterer Releases aus der Feder Warriors lässt sich sicherlich streiten – bemüht hat er sich aber immer. Und allein dafür gebührt ihm größter Respekt.

Und vor allem: Warum auch nicht, wenn der neue Sound noch so unverbraucht, so frisch klingt? Sowohl „Monotheist“ als auch „Eparistera Daimones“ klingen völlig eigenständig und beispiellos und zeigen, wie Metal 2010 klingen könnte: Immer noch kompromisslos brachial und ein Freudenfest für jeden, der gerne seine Mähne kreisen lässt, auf der anderen Seite aber progressiv und herrlich düster.

Dass man stellenweise die Qualität des Vorgängers mit, nennen wir es mal „Monotheist 2“ nicht ganz erreicht, kann man dabei sicher so sehen. Dafür wirkt „Eparistera Daimones“ weitaus kompakter, während „Monotheist“ sich immer auch etwas zog. Ganz so abgrundtief böse wie auf Nummern wie „A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh“, „Progeny“ oder vor allem „Synagoga Satanae“ klingt man zwar nie ganz, dafür offenbart „Eparistera Daimones“ seine ganz eigenen Highlights: Zum Beispiel, wenn in „Goetia“ ein Nackenbrecherriff das nächste jagt. Oder wenn mit „A Thousand Lies“ ein so einfaches Bridge-Chorus-Schema so gut funktioniert. Und einen alles zerstörenden, die Apokalypse (mal wieder) herauf beschwörenden Rausschmeißer gibt es mit „The Prolonging“ mit einer beachtlichen Länge von über 19 Minuten natürlich auch: Schleppende, klaustrophobische Zustände herauf beschwörende Monotonie, wie sie nur Papa Warrior aufs den Plattenteller zaubern kann. Ganz klar: „Eparistera Daimones“ braucht man – „Stagnation“ (wenn man sie denn so nennen will) hin oder her.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Decibel interview:

Warrior wrote:
I do what I do and I know what I do best.

Isn't that exactly the place that we all want to be? Gnothi seauton, indeed.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Decibel interview is quite good. I really liked reading about the "friendship" aspect of the new band, and I contrast that with Tom's release about the reasons for removing himself from Celtic Frost.

This also brought up in my mind how tired I am of the bands with "revolving doors of members". I understand that the present market for metal is tough and bands simply have to face reality and it's not always about winging it and sleeping on floors and having loser's lunches anymore...which makes it even more difficult for a band to commit and create a stable lineup of members, which Tom indicated (paraphrased) that he is looking forward to them developing further and increasing participation. So the chemistry sounds great, and I'm glad Tom focused on making a band, rather than having a revolving door of hired hands...which could also introduce penis issues...
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMorbid wrote:
The Decibel interview is quite good. I really liked reading about the "friendship" aspect of the new band, and ... that he is looking forward to them developing further and increasing participation.

That also caught my attention and I agree.

DrMorbid wrote:
This also brought up in my mind how tired I am of the bands with "revolving doors of members".

*cough* Megadeth *cough*

DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave and Dave eternally love one another, and that's all that matters.

But yeah, I really don't like even the metal "supergroups" anymore, as lots of continuity is lost, and things, such as liking a player's characteristics, might not carry over. I was a big fan of Bostaph and hated to hear Hunting come back to Exodus. It was not a situation like Clemente in Testament, but Bostaph definitely pushed their sound further. But on the other end, that seat was Hunting's, and Gary kept it for him until he could work out his personal problems, so I guess that is a band.

On the other hand, Tony Laureano is an awesome drummer, but I wish he'd just commit already, as he sounds many times like he is more than a session member when he records.

There are a multitude of reasons, but the revolving door era, in my eyes, is played out. Assembling a supergroup with different players on every album? I think I'm going back to wanting to hear solid members stay and become members of a supergroup as they grow inside of it and test boundaries and make contributions that perhaps only a solid band can.

We'll see, I guess.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMorbid wrote:
Dave and Dave eternally love one another, and that's all that matters.

Heh.

Akhenaton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom seems to have a good relationship with the uk mags. The big daddy 'Metal Hammer', will undoubtedly carry a feature. Tom IS a great interview. Even those who may not like the music, are struck by his honesty, intellect, & experience. He does make some other musicians (or artists in general) seem superficial in comparison.
nemesisusurper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another, giving 92%

http://www.metalrage.com/reviews/3158/triptykon-eparistera-daimones.html

Even though Celtic Frost made an awesome comeback with the 2006 album Monotheist, lead singer of the band Tom Gabriel Fischer decided to call it a day in April 2008. The talks on a side project from Celtic Frost, which would eventually become Triptykon, started late 2007 already, but after the demise of Celtic Frost, Tom decided to fully concentrate on this project. And a few years later, here we are. Triptykon’s first album Eparistera Daimones is a fact!

With Norman Lonhart from the German melodic death metal act Fear My Thoughts on drums, V. Santura from Dark Fortress on guitars and Vanja Slajh, Tom completed the line-up for this new project. The idea behind the project is not to create something brand new, but continue where Celtic Frost had ended. And that’s exactly what Tom managed to accomplish perfectly; Eparistera Daimones sounds like Celtic Frost never disbanded but created a follow up to Monotheist.

‘Goetia’ starts off with a Sunn O)))-like riff on quadriple speed, only to kick in with some heavy double kick drumming shortly after that. But when Tom starts singing the first lines “Satan, Saviour, Father. Lord, Constructor of my World”, you know this can only get better. After two heavier tracks, Eparistera Daimones takes it a bit easier with the atmospheric ‘In Shrouds Decayed’ only to kick in with the extremely heavy ‘A Thousand Lies’, including some impressive drum work by Norman Lonhart. One of the most notably things about the album are the lyrics. Even though they are not the most complicated and original I can only imagine some epic live performances on singalongs such as “Every lie you say…. Diiiieeeees” The diversity of the album is something I can only encourage; ranging from black metal elements to doom and death metal influences, you can expect a wide range of tracks ranging from fast to mid tempo tracks with a lot of atmospheric and breakdown parts in between. Expect even a Swedish death metal influenced (guitar) part at the end of the track ‘Descendant’! This all goes back to the core of metal; bass, guitar, drums and vocals, they have barely used any samples or weird effects in between but still kept the diversity. At the end of the record, Triptykon goes a little out of the box, starting with the end of ‘Myopic Empire’ including female spoken word and classical piano and the track ‘My Pain’ This includes female vocals and drum effects that kind of remind me of a bit of trip-hop acts like Portishead or something that Ulver could have done as well. Not a bad track but after listening to this album quite a few times, I’m not sure yet if I think it fits that well. The track only lasts for about five minutes any way, to make space for the epic last track of the album; the 20 minutes lasting track ‘My Prolonging’

Eparistera Daimones turned out to be nothing but a fine record and a solid follow up from the Celtic Frost breakup. The strong songwriting, catchy lyrics, good production and interesting drumming parts make this a memorable album. The experiments at the end of the album don’t make it an instant classic for me personally, but I always encourage diversity if done well. And it is! With the Triptykon performance at Roadburn planned next month, I’m sure this band will convince me even more!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: