Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Chuck Schuldiner: 10 Year Anniverary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Chuck Schuldiner: 10 Year Anniverary Reply with quote

So what are your favorite albums from Death?

I'm a later period Death fan and Human is really my thing, along with The Sound of Perseverance tied with Symbolic.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. X

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEATH's 1st 3 albums are my personal favorites. 1 of the best live shows I ever saw was in 1990 when DEATH and CARCASS toured the states together. Both bands were amazing...
HippieThrasher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalmessiahradio.com is doing a tribute to Chuck tonight at 9:00 pm Eastern time (U.S.). Former bandmates will be present, if you want to listen in.
Mr. X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some friends and I drove down to Atlanta GA to see DEATH and HAMMERFALL play at the Masquerade club in December of 1998. It was the final show of the tour, and I think it was Chuck's last show ever, if I'm not mistaken...

Edit: I did some checking, and it was exactly 13 years ago tonight. Weird...

D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Mr.X on the first 3 albums. I actually saw them on the Leprosy tour with dark Angel in a tiny ass club, one of the best shows not just from "back in the day" but ever.
Hard to believe its been 10 years, even harder to believe that I haven't seen any shitty fliers from scene groups sponsoring cheap tappers in dive bars to commemorate Chucks passing.
1349.com
darkfortress.org
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to go back before Human. I likely never did because I didn't get into death metal until recent years and I was always a staunch thrash and prog fan and Cynic was my lead in to Death.

It's also good to see the rereleases endorsed by the friends and family. Normally rereleases are grabs, but it really seems like now this is how things should have been if his hands weren't tied by external forces. The last one I'm a bit skeptical about, but the prior ones could use improvement, certainly. Not only in sound, but also the packaging.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D wrote:
I actually saw them on the Leprosy tour with dark Angel in a tiny ass club, one of the best shows not just from "back in the day" but ever.

I went to the show in Charlotte NC, but DEATH had dropped off the tour by then. Mad Damn, I was pissed! DARK ANGEL put on a really good show, though. I ended up with a cracked hip bone from stage diving...
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate insult: when the crowd clears instead of catching you. That's fucked up, bro.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
Mr. X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMorbid wrote:
Ultimate insult: when the crowd clears instead of catching you. That's fucked up, bro.

Actually, they did catch me initially, but they threw me back up into the air and then cleared out on my way back down. Needless to say, that was my last dive of the night. Laughing
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. X wrote:
Some friends and I drove down to Atlanta GA to see DEATH and HAMMERFALL play at the Masquerade club in December of 1998. It was the final show of the tour, and I think it was Chuck's last show ever, if I'm not mistaken...

A side note -- I just saw Mayhem at the Masquerade last week. They've been threatnening to shut it down for years, but haven't made good on their threats.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Mr. X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
A side note -- I just saw Mayhem at the Masquerade last week. They've been threatnening to shut it down for years, but haven't made good on their threats.

I hope that doesn't happen. I've seen quite a few memorable shows at the Masquerade...
Durtal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Chuck Schuldiner: 10 Year Anniverary Reply with quote

DrMorbid wrote:
So what are your favorite albums from Death?

Individual Thought Patterns - Symbolic

Always loved the songs "Crystal Mountain" and "Destiny", most notably the latter ... thought the message in the lyrics were pretty powerful at 17 ... when thoughts of suicide were a daily routine ...
exan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. X wrote:

We drove 3 hours to Columbus, OH for this show and when we got there the show was cancelled. We witnessed Chuck and the club management argue. Turns out that the sound system was horrible and Chuck wouldn't play there because it would have sounded horrible.

We ended up hanging out on the street with Shannon Hamm and Scott Clendenin for a couple of hours and just shooting the shit. Richard talked for awhile, then Chuck finally came off of the bus and hung out for a bit.

2 days later we Drove 5 hours to Cleveland to see the show.

We almost drove down to Atlanta for the show that you went to, but we couldn't get off work.

Death is still my favorite band. As for my favorite album, I'd say that it is Symbolic. I love every album and love the progression from album to album.

Ramon1969

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 years today. Will probably never forget this day.
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon1969 wrote:
15 years today. Will probably never forget this day.

How so?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: