Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Visual Aggression - Remix ???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.O.D.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Visual Aggression - Remix ??? Reply with quote

I listened carefuly to my SOUNDS - WAVES VOL. 1 compilation 7" and recognized that "Visual Aggression" is neither the regular version, nor the original Zurich mix, but a totally different remix with much more compression and some more effects on the vocals...
Does anybody know when it was made ??? Maybe Harris Johns made it for the compilation release ???
peterott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is somehow the ultimate mix of this song. The 7" is from 1988, so maybe some Noise producer at this time made it? Interesting topic. Damn bloody great version of the song for sure...
A.O.D.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will make a perfect digital rip of the song !!! Maybe they remixed the entire E.P. ??? Who knows ???
Zane Reed Johnson
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This never came with any credits, did it (the 7" single, I mean)? Mine is somewhere in a box, but I can't locate it currently.
www.celticfrost.com
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
A.O.D.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are really no credits on it...neither on the backcover nor on the record itself...does anybody own the original magazine ??? Maybe there should be more details about the featured tracks ???
Paulie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the EP and seem to recall that it had not only a different mix but a different guitar (solo?) and a different vocal take on it. I could be mistaken. I have never had the magazine but doubt it would have anything substantive in regard to it.

All the best,
PAULIE
A.O.D.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Mr. Fischer can unravel the mystery ???
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.O.D. wrote:
Maybe Mr. Fischer can unravel the mystery ???

Well, this is intriguing - and strange at the same time. We did the original mix of the song in Zurich, in early 1985. Noise Records subsequently remixed it without our authorization, a few weeks later.

These are the two versions I know to exist.

We never remixed the song again, and the original tapes no longer exist, as far as I know (I went through Noise Records' archives when we did the official reissues in 1999/2000). Also, we did not record an alternate version (with alternate vocals or leads) in 1985 or anytime thereafter. The recording sessions were still a low-budget affair at the time, and we thus didn't have time to record various versions.

I don't know the "SOUNDS - WAVES VOL. 1 compilation", nor do I know what it even is. If they completely remastered the song and put tons of compressor on it, it is bound to sound differently. It would simply mean they altered the sound quality. But it wouldn't make it a different mix or version, of course. It wouldn't explain "a different vocal take" and "a different guitar solo".

Could it perhaps be Mayhem's cover version of the song (from the "In Memory Of Celtic Frost" tribute album)? Or Grief Of Emerald's cover version (from the "OrderOf The Tyrants" tribute album)?

Tom Gabriel Fischer, Zurich, Switzerland
A.O.D.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...Could it perhaps be Mayhem's cover version of the song (from the "In Memory Of Celtic Frost" tribute album)? Or Grief Of Emerald's cover version (from the "OrderOf The Tyrants" tribute album)?..."

Hahaha...nice joke...
Well, I think I am able to hear the differences between an original version and a cover, recorded by another artist...and as you can read here, I am not the only one who discovered the very audible differences in the version included on the SOUNDS WAVES 7".

This is neither the original Zurich mix, nor the NOISE remix - it is in fact a different mix !!! Of course, the final thing is much compressed, but there are different effects on the vocals !!!

But thank you for the detailed answer - so there seems to be a VISUAL AGGRESSION version out there that you never heard in your life...very strange...if you agree, I will upload a perfect and cleaned vinyl rip of the track soon...so all other maniacs could compare with the two "official" available versions. Let me know.
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.O.D. wrote:
if you agree, I will upload a perfect and cleaned vinyl rip of the track soon...so all other maniacs could compare with the two "official" available versions. Let me know.

Of course I do!

Thank you!

Tom Gabriel Fischer, Zurich, Switzerland
Paulie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Definitely CF
- Definitely sounds different.

The way a track is mastered can have a radical effect on the way the finished product sounds.

The "SOUNDS" compilation 7"s very often did have exclusive tracks on them, but not always. It's not unusual for the SOUNDS tracks to be a different mix, an alternate take, obscure b-side, etc (This particular ep also has Kreator, Motorhead and the Stupids - I have another installment of this compilation which includes Sonic Youth, Pailhead, Prong and Thin White Rope). I just assumed (way back when) there was more than one pass of a solo and/or vocal and this comp track used an otherwise-unused pass. It's not a completely different take altogether, that's for sure.

Given the *fact* that the label did their own unapproved mix of the Emperor's Return tracks, it is not unreasonable to believe that they did more than one mix of V. Aggression, and this one was a spare. If anything, I'm glad CF was included on this comp - It's this sort of thing that gets a band's output to ears that might not otherwise be exposed to it.

All the best,
PAULIE
A.O.D.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I will upload the track in the next hour.
A.O.D.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
as a proof of your agreement (and to avoid some possible copyright problems with the artist in the future), I made a screenshot.
Here is the track, taken from the SOUNDS - WAVES 7":

http://www.sathvyre.de/X/CF-VA-SW.mp3

I used the following equipment for the vinyl transfer:

TECHNICS SL-Q300 (Direct Drive Turntable)
ORTOFON OMP30 System

I filtered the clicks and the noise of the record itself. Should be the most close sound to the original vinyl source. Nothing has been remastered or altered - this is the real thing !!!

I am looking forward to read some words about that mysterious mix...
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Never heard before.... The Vocals sounds much different... The Scream in the beginning is also total different... The whole Song sounds much different...

Thanks A.O.D.!!!
A.O.D.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a pleasure to share rare stuff with fans and discuss about it !!!
Would be nice to know the story behind that version...maybe it was remixed without the band and their knowledge to include a special version to the 7" record, forced by NOISE RECORDS ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: