Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Question about HIRAX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frost&Fire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Question about HIRAX Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I am new here so I am not all that sure if this topic belongs here, but I learned it from the ODIR book so I went ahead and classified it as Hellhammer-related.
I noticed that on the back pages of the book where all the different logo designs are printed, it is revealed that Tom Warrior designed the logo for cult thrash/crossover metal band Hirax, from California.
Since nothing else is mentioned about how this came about, I am left curious since I am a huge fan of both bands and am wondering if anyone here can shine a light..?
I realize the obvious answer would be that it was tape-trading related,
but I am curious to know why/who? Was it Hirax that contacted Tom about it after hearing one of the demos? It amazes me how something this awesome could have existed between 2 bands on different sides of the world at the time!
Terrible noises, the dark graveyard calls
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Frost&Fire!

I don't have specific information of the collaboration between Hirax and Tom, but as you read more through Tom's history, you will see there is quite a bit of history, friendship, and collaboration of varying degrees between himself and peers.

Some of the historians here might have better answers.

In fact, look no further than his blog, Delineation (linked above), to see him with friends, peers, and specifically, speaking of bands he is a fan of or influenced by. Over the years, many of us have discovered some of our favorite bands via his posts and interactions. It puts the music of Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, and Triptykon in a different context.

The early, rather close history of Coroner and Celtic Frost was touched upon in Tom's first book, "Are You Morbid?", incidentally.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zane Reed Johnson
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost&Fire,

Katon from Hirax gives a little bit of information on that very topic from this interview back in 2009:

http://www.metalmaniacs.com/2009/past-and-present-with-thrash-metal-classics-hirax/
www.celticfrost.com
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
Frost&Fire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand Tom G. Warrior of CELTIC FROST fame drew the HIRAX logo. What’s the story behind that?

KATON: Tom and I go back a long, long ways. We have been friends for many years and still are. We were pen pals in the early 1980s when HIRAX was starting out and he was in a band named Hellhammer. He was starting his new band at the time called Celtic Frost and he asked me if he could design a logo for HIRAX. I agreed to it, and said, YES! He designed our logo at the same time he designed the Celtic Frost logo so if you look at them, you can tell that they were both created by the same person: Tom G. Warrior. To this day we still use the HIRAX logo that he created for us.

Perfect!
Thanks a lot man!
Terrible noises, the dark graveyard calls
McDeath

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see he rates the Canadian Slaughter too - well worth reading, thanks for that, Zane Smile . . . .

Schaufensterpuppypharm

POM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: