Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Triptykon announce Melana Chasmata details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McDeath

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, for boring reasons both personal and financial, I am only in possession of the masterwork for 36hrs, so find that much of what I might say has already been said. Oh well. No time to cry.
Rather than repeat the many perceptive words (not least, but not exclusively, from D, Knucklehead and I.A.), I shall toss in a few different sensations as they reach my typing hand, so please pardon the meandering flow . . . .
This 2nd magnum opus would seem to find the band far more assured of the sonic possibilities, much less in need of bombast. In saying that, I am aware that I may be projecting, but I feel sure that I was not alone in experiencing relief when ED dropped. We're now dealing with an established force and MC delivers forward motion and, once more, bodes well for the next chapter . . . .
The assurance I speak of shows in 2 styles that hark back to the 'classic' era of the, as yet, better known Previous Incarnation.
The first is the mourning voice, found here on 'In The Sleep Of Death.' Indeed, the palette of vocal styles applied across the whole LP is stunning. Particularly taken with the whispers.
The second style of note is that signature chugging mid-paced funky mosh. Without any warning or preamble, 'Breathing' delivers 2 deadly bursts of it and polishes off with a vicious shred. I was instantly transported back 3 decades, not in a nostalgic glow, but rather because, once more, I was experiencing the need to laugh out loud for joy and play air-chainsaw at the audacious artistic triumph. That used to happen a lot, especially when yet another solo would scream by in what was then an unconventional key . . . .
Assurance is also manifest in the way speed is deployed and top speed only at special moments rather than as a default setting.
Loads of astute moves in this whole package and its presentation. Well done the team for unleashing tracks (via the single and Roadburn) strictly from the early part of the LP's arc before the full release. Yes, Aurorae does feel pivotal and not just for being Track 5 of 9. Looking forward to the visual interpretation. Well done the band for ending the sequence on a more downbeat, uncertain note, rather than attempting a resolution in the manner of 'Winter' or a major beatdown la 'Prolonging.' Oh, and then there's another slice of superior Old Nick to sate the kiddy in us all . . . . Smile
Just a quick word in passing to certain folk who feel that certain influences are slightly too prominent in the mix. It is clear you have not yet read Tom's numerous forum and blog posts on his musical tastes, going way back. Before you go looking, you might start with this recent article - nothing we hear on MC should come as a surprise . . . .
A very welcome addition to the canon. Hope the next one doesn't hurt so much to make. Tack s mycket. \m/\m/

Doktor A.

Schaufensterpuppypharm

POM
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfborn wrote:
A message from CM distro:

"Dear TRIPTYKON-fans,

We have discovered serious manufacturing issues on the 2LP format (black & coloured vinyl) of TRIPTYKON's "Melana Chasmata" album and were forced to repress it to guarantee all of you a satisfying and flawless product. Unfortunately, this means the delivery will be delayed by some days. While everyone involved is working at full speed to rectify this situation, we would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and will deliver all orders of this format as soon as ever possible. No orders will be cancelled!

Thanks a lot for your patience and bearing with us in this awful situation, but this issue was completely beyond our control.

We hope you will enjoy this release once you will have it in your hands and thank you for purchasing it at CMDistro.

Take care & all the best,
You CMDistro-team"

To ALL Vinyl-Owners (2 LP & 3x10"): Please listen CAREFULY at the End of "Boleskine House" and tell US what YOU hear...

EDIT: "Breathing" also...
EDIT2: Between "Aurorae" & "Demon Pact" the silence between the Tracks (2 LP only)
EDIT3: Between "In The Sleep Of Death" & "Black Snow" the silence between the Tracks (2 LP only) but here it's "tolerable".
EDIT4: The End of "Waiting" (2 LP only)

I've got a guess ...
HippieThrasher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the reviews here and in the links, I really don't have anything substantial to add (at least not multiple long paragraphs worth).

The album flows. I like it. And like all albums, I like some songs more than others. But as a complete package, this album really flows amazingly well, much more so than its predecessor - to my ears, anyway. I like the darkness, the introspection, the menacing undertow. And good God, Vanja's bass is unlike anything I've ever heard before. I'll take more, please.

This album was well-worth the 4-year wait and I do believe it's something all four band members (particularly that most self-critical frontman) can be proud of. Tom, if you can't muster pride yet, try satisfaction in the meanwhile. You done good.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon1969 wrote:
Wolfborn wrote:

"Dear TRIPTYKON-fans,

We have discovered serious manufacturing issues on the 2LP format (black & coloured vinyl) of TRIPTYKON's "Melana Chasmata" album and were forced to repress it to guarantee all of you a satisfying and flawless product. Unfortunately, this means the delivery will be delayed by some days. While everyone involved is working at full speed to rectify this situation, we would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and will deliver all orders of this format as soon as ever possible. No orders will be cancelled!

Thanks a lot for your patience and bearing with us in this awful situation, but this issue was completely beyond our control.

We hope you will enjoy this release once you will have it in your hands and thank you for purchasing it at CMDistro.

You CMDistro-team"

To ALL Vinyl-Owners (2 LP & 3x10"): Please listen CAREFULY at the End of "Boleskine House" and tell US what YOU hear...

EDIT2: Between "Aurorae" & "Demon Pact" the silence between the Tracks (2 LP only)
EDIT3: Between "In The Sleep Of Death" & "Black Snow" the silence between the Tracks (2 LP only) but here it's "tolerable".

I've got a guess ...

What is this all about?

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
Ramon1969 wrote:
Wolfborn wrote:

"Dear TRIPTYKON-fans,

You CMDistro-team"

I've got a guess ...

What is this all about?

Did you already get your vinyls?
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon1969 wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
What is this all about?

They are not due to be released in North America until the first of next month, if you can feature that. Despite the quick listens and initial reactions I posted above, I am still waiting for the vinyl for the first serious listen.

Akhenaton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
Ramon1969 wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
What is this all about?

They are not due to be released in North America until the first of next month, if you can feature that. Despite the quick listens and initial reactions I posted above, I am still waiting for the vinyl for the first serious listen.
It's not until the end of May now, last time I checked, & that includes everything except for the standard cd (not the mediabook). I suppose that the exception with the jewel case cd may be because it has been produced in the USA; CM says that they are waiting for everything else to arrive from Europe. I bought the digital for now.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I will probably have seen the band live before I actually listen to the vinyl. Laughing

Akhenaton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
At this point, I will probably have seen the band live before I actually listen to the vinyl. Laughing
No shit. I guess that they covered their European customers first, & with manufacturing problems (or whatever is going on) we kept (keep?!)getting pushed back.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akhenaton wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
No shit. I guess that they covered their European customers first, & with manufacturing problems (or whatever is going on) we kept (keep?!)getting pushed back.
I'm a little confused as to how it got released at all in Europe. Presumably, the records all came from the same pressing plant and, presumably, all have the same issues.

Melancholia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fulcizombie wrote:
It's my first post here so I don't know how people will take this but anyway....
I bought the digibook version and gave the album a first listen. My opinion, disappointing and by far the worst post CF ( I consider tryptikon basically CF ) reunion album that Tom has made . Monotheist and eparisterai daimones had, IMO, the problem of vastly downtuned guitars giving them a sound , esp. the CF album, like machine head were playing hell hammer/early CF music. The songs though were excellent , esp in the first tryptikon album . Here when I listened to the first track I was thrilled since the downtuning of the guitars was far less evident and the sound a bit more old school plus "tree of suffocating souls" is an excellent beginning for the album . Until breathing the album was good , though I wasn't thrilled with boleskin house .

Then the album quality takes a nosedive with aurorae and never recovers. Boring, experimental songs (not like the genius of the experimental songs of "into the pandemonium"), really tiring riffs going on and on without a change in pace or some solos and an atmosphere that reminds me more gothic bands than CF/Tryptikon. The funny thing is that I expected songs with titles like "demon pact" and "in the sleep of death " to be epic songs like "abyss within my soul" .

The ending of the album speaks for itself , in the end of eparistera daimones we had the monstrous (in a good way) "the prolonging " , here we have an almost gothic song , with female vocals and no changes in the riffs at all .
Tom's vocals are also far worse than before, here he tries to sing with a death metal style in various songs and looses the unique feeling his vocals gave in previous albums , and the album is certainly softer than his previous 2 efforts .

To conclude I'll just say that I wish monotheist had this guitar sound and production and that I get the feeling that Tom is starting to get bored with metal again, as evident by the MANY quiet parts that this album has.

Now I don't know the tolerance of this forum but this review comes from a 20+ year fan of Tom's work .

I was just about as disappointed as much as you are when the album came out and I thought it doesn't stand a toe to Eparistera Daimones but I was wrong and with a couple of listens I began to really like this new album so you might do the same thing here and listen to the album more and more and I don't mean by that the album should grow on you but more listens might give you the reality to speak for good about this new amazing album
Melana Chasmata is not a terrible album by any means and I say it with full honesty that the album is just as good as Eparistera Daimones, perhaps, time can only tell you how good this album is

Last edited by Melancholia on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Akhenaton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
Akhenaton wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
I'm a little confused as to how it got released at all in Europe. Presumably, the records all came from the same pressing plant and, presumably, all have the same issues.
It could be that a delay in the vinyls has also delayed the entire shipment, a shipment which includes the mediabooks & boxsets. As I'm totally unaware of the logistics behind the CM label, this is all speculation. Who knows?- maybe CM/NA are also speculating on what is going on at CM/EU. All we know for certain at this point is that the kids in Europe got their stuff, some of it a bit late, that there were problems, that apparently there still are problems (?), & that us kids in NA still have to wait another month. Oh!-----> & that this really sucks! Laughing
DL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of MC details:
the line "I shall never see / my children smile" stands out at least for me as an unusually naked, sorrow-drenched not to say tortured line from Tom. I guess it got to me good because of me being a father of two small kids, something I for many lonely years never would have imagined would happen, and the unbearable thought of all the joy I would've missed if circumstances hadn't led to my current situation.

Have listened to the album pretty much non-stop lately, it's absolutely magnificent - current favourites being Black Snow and Altar Of Deceit.
I like the way the album ends with the mellower, contemplative Waiting - MC:s Winter, so to speak.

One thing I do NOT long for though, re: a line in Black Snow, is Tom's and Triptykon's demise. Us fans really get spoiled with the quality they deliver in every aspect. You guys are all AWESOME TO THE HILT!!
Wolfborn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got another e-mail from Finnish Recordshop X, that due to delays at the factory the expected arrival date for my vinyl copy would be now 9th of May. I don't mind much since I have a digital copy. However, I suppose that it is quite nightmarish situation for the band & CM to go through a process like this.

EDIT: Despite all the trouble the album was in Top 40 in Finland. Nr#16 / week 16.
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melana Chasmata has worked its way into me like a virus. It does indeed grow like a Chia Pet shot straight outta Hell with a trail of swirling black smoke behind it. Can't start my day or roll out the end of the driveway without Breathing shaking the interior of my truck.

Music to live one's life by.
1349.com
darkfortress.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: