Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Vanja Slajh is a total murderer on bass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Vanja Slajh is a total murderer on bass Reply with quote

Clips are reposts (so far).

This one having been posted in the new thread made me think of this topic in the first place:

Goetia @ Blastfest 2014: http://youtu.be/Drh0yt0zxAg

Which then made me think of this as well:

Messiah @ Meh Suff 2012: http://youtu.be/AN82TKGyiSA

The relentless up-and-down ATTACK is really noteworthy. I'm a bit of a snob about bass, and can't stand it when bassists take a back seat to the guitars and essentially play a supporting role in the overall picture, particularly in THIS type of music. The bass is an INSTRUMENT but is often used as a wash, just background noise. Vanja is not at all bashful about bringing her bass just as much to the front as anything else. I'm very thankful for this, and feel that *her style of playing* is a big part of what makes Triptykon that much more aggressive and forceful than CF in certain respects. I do tend to gravitate toward more raw-sounding material overall whereas Tryptykon utilizes modern studio refinery (understandably so) as part of their overall professional presentation, but if there was a more typical player in her role, there would be a more typical end result. But nope. This band fucking kills.

I don't expect this thread to get a lot of responses, as there's really not much to say outside of the fact that she kicks ass. I just needed to express it.

All the best,
PAULIE
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same thought when I saw this video from the Blastfest. These precise up and down movements have me totally intrigued. And she plays even harder than 2 years ago. There are many guitarists who can't do it ... but Vanja does this on a bass guitar!

Vanjas style is very different from the other bass players who have played in HH/CF. Tom could do no better choice. The fact that she has a completely different style, and also to be a woman, even direct comparisons could never be done... And most recently, she sings too. I can't wait to hear this. If she treats her vocal cords as the bass we can get on what caught!
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing her play live is such an amazing thing. On Weltenbrand tour, their stage tech called her "Vanja the string slayer" Wink This band wouldn't be the same without her and her amazing talent. The sound she creates literally thumps your chest from across the venue, and leaves goosebumps.

A shy, absolute sweetheart with the power to sonically destroy physical matter. I can't wait to hear what shes done on Melana Chasmata.
1349.com
darkfortress.org
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanja is surely one of the success key of the band , definitely. A real stage presence, One of the most ultra powered bass playing , more than heavy / doom.
seems to be fragile and strong in the same time .
I think she has changed physically, her face seems colder. ( Morbid ?)Love it.
she's in total harmony with the rest of the band . I 'm convinced that she hasn't shown all her talents yet .
absolute fan .
chrisdavisjr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye; she fucking smashes it.
I.A.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEGIDDO wrote:
Vanja is surely one of the success key of the band

Indeed, she and Norman are a really strong rhythm section. In the case of Triptykon it is fitting to say that the rhythm section is the heart of the band while the guitarist/songwriters are the blood. A strong heart pumping vital blood.

While we're at the subject of rhythm section, Norman really deserves more praise than he's getting. I'm not a drumming expert, but I don't know many drummers who are so heavy-hitting but also possess the art of the groove. Definitely the best drummer Tom has ever worked with.

</fanboyism> Wink
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.A. wrote:
MEGIDDO wrote:
Vanja is surely one of the success key of the band

Indeed, she and Norman are a really strong rhythm section. In the case of Triptykon it is fitting to say that the rhythm section is the heart of the band while the guitarist/songwriters are the blood. A strong heart pumping vital blood.

While we're at the subject of rhythm section, Norman really deserves more praise than he's getting. I'm not a drumming expert, but I don't know many drummers who are so heavy-hitting but also possess the art of the groove. Definitely the best drummer Tom has ever worked with.

</fanboyism> Wink

totally agree. this groove is particularly brilliant during "Aurorae". to the extreme opposite , Norman hitting like a colossus on "Black Snow" .
And , like you , I say this as calmly as possible avoiding carefully to enter in this persistent pseudo-debate of"Fanboy: to be or not to be ?". I can 't stand it. we're not prematured ejaculator teenagers dreaming and drooling on a Katy Perry's pic .
We share the pleasure of listening to the game of Vanja, bassist of Triptykon , of Norman , the man behind the drums of the same band .
so what ? Wink Cool
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon1969 wrote:
If she treats her vocal cords as the bass we can get on what caught!

I was totally wrong with my guess. Her voice sounds very fine, almost fragile, wonderful.
ApolloXI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the new album her playing adds so much depth to the tracks (and is nice and prominent in the mix) that she's clearly the unsung hero of this musical unit.
ZacharySmith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't agree more with all the above posts! Having a woman in a band also adds dimension.

I think Vanja is amazing - she really drives the band with such a thunderous bass. And great to see live too. These aggressive up-strokes while headbanging takes some doing. She also has a real stage presence - kinda looks right through you at times.

Interesting how some of the very heaviest, darkest bands have female musicians. Vanja, Liz Buckingham and Lena Abe et al.
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRIPTYKON BASSIST VANJA SLAJH ANNOUNCES NEW ENDORSEMENT WITH ORANGE MUSIC ELECTRONIC COMPANY

Triptykon bassist Vanja Slajh is very proud to announce the commencement of a new endorsement affiliation with Orange Music Electronic Company. Vast gratitude is due to Martin Hunziker of Go Wild AG and Orange.

Photos by Manuel Vargas LĂ©piz, January 2017. https://orangeamps.com/portfolio-item/triptykon/
www.gowild.ch
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ great pics .
I'm neither a musician nor a technician at all. But I can say that I prefer the Ibanez legend bass design to her previous Iceman model. The shape looks very balanced. Like it a lot .His first bass 5 strings was also splendid (Shatter video)
I 'll always associate this bass with Cronos. His red Ibanez marked me forever.
More anectodal ,glad to see also the return of full long black hair. Cool
chrisdavisjr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Orange bass amps are really good: I think I prefer them to the Ampeg SVT, which is saying something.
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEGIDDO wrote:
^^ great pics .
I'm neither a musician nor a technician at all. But I can say that I prefer the Ibanez legend bass design to her previous Iceman model. The shape looks very balanced. Like it a lot .His first bass 5 strings was also splendid (Shatter video)
I 'll always associate this bass with Cronos. His red Ibanez marked me forever.
More anectodal ,glad to see also the return of full long black hair. Cool

I have no opinion on the bass but i approve of the full long black hair.
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Triptykon Press Release"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: