Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Mercyful Fate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are they good?
I'm under 30 and I say "Yes!"
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
I'm under 30 and I say "No!"
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm over 30, but under 40, and I say "Yes!"
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
I'm over 30, but under 40, and I say "No!"
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm over 40 and I say "Duh."
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
I'm over 40 and I say "They've always sucked."
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

Knucklehead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Mercyful Fate Reply with quote

So, I'm a little perplexed by the popularity of Mercyful Fate. I never took them seriously. (I mean, that voice. Come on.) But it seems as if all the kids these days love them. In fact, King Diamond's show here sold out, which surprised me.

I'm wondering if, in part, their popularity splits along age lines.

Discuss.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Melancholia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge fan of Mercyful Fate and King Diamond music but knowing that both of them have released so many albums makes this a difficult choice, I would really love to vote for Mercyful Fate but I still think that the era of King Diamond has a better and much powerful music

I had the chance to listen to all King Diamond albums that came out through Roadrunner records and make no mistake about them, every single album is just as good as the next one while to tell the truth I need to listen to more of Mercyful Fate before its too late

I must say that King Diamond's voice is some of the most powerful voices I had ever to listen to and that's all I need to say about King Diamond

Last edited by Melancholia on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A massive fan here .
I know them from the beginning. . A preference for Mercyful Fate with their first productions, EP, Melissa and Don 'Break the Oath as well as Time and 9. I like the unique combination of this so special voice (never heard at the time) and the Shermann / Denner riffs .
The King Diamond solo career is different, more complex structures and some of unforgettable intros. After a notable decline since The Spider's Lullabye. KD 's back in top form with his last two albums. He knew how to modulate his voice with just the right dose. The voice of Livia Zita is a definite asset.
J listening Puppet Master and Give Me Your Soul ... Please with as much pleasure Whether Fatal Portrait, Abigail, Them and The Eyes, their Masterpieces , signed with the great Andy LaRocque.
These guys are, for me , among the untouchable bands with Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Venom and Bathory.
Legendary and essential.
... oh , I' m 49 .
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEGIDDO wrote:
A massive fan here .
I know them from the beginning. . A preference for Mercyful Fate with their first productions, EP, Melissa and Don 'Break the Oath as well as Time and 9. I like the unique combination of this so special voice (never heard at the time) and the Shermann / Denner riffs .
The King Diamond solo career is different, more complex structures and some of unforgettable intros. After a notable decline since The Spider's Lullabye. KD 's back in top form with his last two albums. He knew how to modulate his voice with just the right dose. The voice of Livia Zita is a definite asset.
J listening Puppet Master and Give Me Your Soul ... Please with as much pleasure Whether Fatal Portrait, Abigail, Them and The Eyes, their Masterpieces , signed with the great Andy LaRocque.
These guys are, for me , among the untouchable bands with Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Venom and Bathory.
Legendary and essential.

... oh , I' m 49 .

Shocked For me it is exactly the same ... with one exception. I'm "only" 45... Wink
Melancholia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEGIDDO wrote:
A massive fan here .
Legendary and essential.
... oh , I' m 49 .

You must be out of your mind if you think that you are young after spending all these years on drinking because I am younger than you by 20 years, I am 29
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melancholia wrote:
MEGIDDO wrote:
A massive fan here .
Legendary and essential.
... oh , I' m 49 .

You must be out of your mind if you think that you are young after spending all these years on drinking because I am younger than you by 20 years, I am 29

you must be out of your mind if I say that I 've almost never drank alcohol in my life.
too bad you read only the last line of my post. Your age, maybe ...
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never cared for Mercyful Fate or King Dimond. A friend of mine bought either Melissa or Don't Break The Oath on cassette back in '85 or so and said I had to listen to it.

I just couldn't handle the vocals -- they are like fingernails on a blackboard or a cat screechng. I've tried several times since then to give KD another listen, but his vocals kill it for me every time. It is as if he is attempting to out-Halford Halford, but failing miserably.

I am truly perplexed how any one thinks that it is good, but I am clearly in the minority.

I will be 45 this summer.

Akhenaton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musically, I prefer Mercyful Fate over King Diamond considerably, but my only live experience of either is King Diamond last October & he put on a fantastic show with all of the theatrics he is known for. It was a big venue totally packed & the crowd was a mix of 20's to 50 's. I was in the middle being 35. His voice reminds me of Flo & Eddie from the Frank Zappa band circa 1969-1971 (perhaps the most popular vocalists that he ever had), more than it does of Halford. It's perhaps a bit "over the top", but then so is Corpsegrinder from Cannibal Corpse (who I just enjoyed on Wednesday). The only album I listen to repeatedly is Melissa. It's the one that I love. I find KD's voice evocative when the music is to my taste; it's tonality & range ' interesting ' from a technical standpoint, & it's lyrical themes... only done justice in a concert setting with a big stage.

Last edited by Akhenaton on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Akhenaton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:

I am truly perplexed how any one thinks that it is good, but I am clearly in the minority.
You're not in "the minority"!(broadly speaking) It's a matter of taste. After half a century, this form of music has a wide field. The band/s you are polling have longevity & found a niche audience which grows with generations. It's not the kind of stuff that Everyone finds appetising, like early Black Sabbath or early Metallica Smile
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mercyful Fate Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
So, I'm a little perplexed by the popularity of Mercyful Fate. I never took them seriously. (I mean, that voice. Come on.) But it seems as if all the kids these days love them. In fact, King Diamond's show here sold out, which surprised me.

I'm wondering if, in part, their popularity splits along age lines.

Discuss.

Never cared about Mercyful Fate. Same as Knut: i can't handle the vocals (i'm 47 btw)
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akhenaton wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:

You're not in "the minority"!(broadly speaking) It's a matter of taste. After half a century, this form of music has a wide field. The band/s you are polling have longevity & found a niche audience which grows with generations. It's not the kind of stuff that Everyone finds appetising, like early Black Sabbath or early Metallica Smile

Early Metallica was kick-ass imo. Kill 'm All is one of my favorite albums, esspecially if you consider what else was around those days. After that album it all went down hill.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercyful Fate Reply with quote

SigSwat551 wrote:
Same as Knut

It cracks me up that people still call me "Knut" -- that was part of the user name on the old CF EZ Board, from a billion years ago. Laughing Laughing Laughing

SigSwat551 wrote:
Early Metallica was kick-ass imo. Kill 'm All is one of my favorite albums, esspecially if you consider what else was around those days. After that album it all went down hill.

Agreed. I still listen to Ride the Lightning fairly often. Not so much MOP.

Akhenaton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reviewing Melissa in light of this thread (in my headphones as I write)& what first strikes me is that it's heavy rock n roll 70's style, much like Alice Cooper. The difference is that the vocals come out of AC's signature into these high notes which sound like opera. It's not like Halford who bends & weaves around to hit the notes. This guy has 2 voices. The lyrical content is also different from anything that came before in it's insistence on one theme. For better or worse, it could be argued, the up & coming vocalists in metal pushed it just like he did. They sound *almost* ridiculous at times, but they are passionate. That's the word: Passion. They have that. In the beginning of the band they seem to have discovered that their vocalist had this other 'voice', & they make room for it in the compositions. They've got a bag of riffs, much like Joe Perry did. It goes to higher tempos, though, with harmonising like Thin Lizzy. So, yeah, I'm hearing Judas Priest in here too from Sad Wings Of Destiny. When they reach the titular track they display it all. Witchcraft (from Sweden) ripped off most of this; making a band out of one song. There is an ominous intro & outro. I can see why the band were revered from the outset. Their sound is a combination of other bands, yet still sounds unique. Venom are put into the same class, for the same reasons. It's more of a steady development than anything else. There is no doubt that they were committed & passionate. It bleeds out of the record.
Durtal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I didn't like King Diamond at first listen - That was in an old record store (Bleeker Bob's) in lower Manhattan, somewhere in '89 - It sounded like the guy was trying to sing through his asshole ... that high-pitched squeal you get, when you let the air out of a stretched balloon - I even felt the same way about Jim Gillette at first, when I first saw that "Freight Train" video by Nitro, on Headbanger's Ball - Whether or not that opinion was just the result of having a shitty attitude as a young kid (cuz everything seemed to suck then), I became a huge fan when Voodoo first came out - Bought all of the KD/MF stuff then, when the Metal Blade releases were reissued in Gold discs - For me, it is the stories (like Abigail, or Voodoo) of each album, and the musical prowess of each member (of each incarnation) that is appealing - And "King's" vocals are just awesome, especially when he does those "schizophrenia" type things with the different ranges - Love him, or hate him, there's no denying that the contributions to metal from both KD/MF are extensive, even examplary

I always would prefer a Glenlivet on the rocks, other people are content with Pudweiser - I guess there is no "best" of anything ... band, car, instrument, aside from subjectivity ... just whatever makes you the most happy - Forgive the sentence structure, if none of it makes helluva sense - Neurons and Synapses are trying their best to fire on all cylinders again

PS: I am 38, but still going on 15 Smile
Akhenaton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuckin great post Durtal! You need not worry about your sentence structure (who cares?) it's a treat just to hear something like this from you! Keep the synapses firing brother!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: