Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Mercyful Fate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are they good?
I'm under 30 and I say "Yes!"
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
I'm under 30 and I say "No!"
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm over 30, but under 40, and I say "Yes!"
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
I'm over 30, but under 40, and I say "No!"
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm over 40 and I say "Duh."
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
I'm over 40 and I say "They've always sucked."
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

chrisdavisjr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first MF song I ever heard was 'Gypsy' from 'Don't Break the Oath', although it was entirely out of context: This would have been around 2002-2003 when Napster and the like were my primary means of discovering, if not consuming, new music (I still bought albums on CD and vinyl). I remember digging it at the time but it made no immense impression on me.

A little later on, I heard 'A Corpse Without Soul' on a compilation that came with the UK's Metal Hammer magazine, featuring tracks from all of the bands whose vocalists made appearances on Dave Grohl's newly-released 'Probot' album. That track blew me away with its blistering lead guitar breaks, that immense riff (that Metallica never could quite figure out) and all of the Hammer Horror imagery. I've considered myself a fan ever since, and that extends to King Diamond as well, although the vibe is definitely different.

Additionally, that same compilation CD, which I believe was called 'Clash of the Titans', also featured 'Thrashing Rage' by Voivod, which also grabbed me by the balls and a song that some of you may know
called 'Procreation (of the Wicked)', which not only grabbed me by the balls but tore them off and fed them to me (proverbially speaking, of course).

Exposure to decent heavy metal was sorely absent in my early and mid teens so, in spite of it being a fairly lacklustre publication all round, I feel I owe a lot to Metal Hammer and Dave Grohl for putting out an utterly slamming compilation of killer heavy metal, thrash, doom and hardcore that made me realise that there was far more to life than Dimmu Borgir and Cradle Of Filth (the follies of youth!).

Oh yeah, and I am 29 years old.
kzr750r1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at KD as a wind instrument. One that speaks a couple of languages.

Melissa was my introduction at a house party. The good glaucoma relief enhanced the experience of the additional vocal textures offered up.
KD playing off of the harmonizing guitars pulled me in.
Solos in the arrangement like they should be, not an afterthought.

Now I did listen to Don't break the oath and other. Never kept that feel like it was played in a dirty club but in a clean studio.

Melissa is in my all time top 10 of must have records.
Dethroned Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massive fan here, more of a Mercyful Fate than King Diamond fan. I gotta say I am kinda shocked, I thought everybody loved KD.

I never met a metal fan who did not like KD, unless they were into bands I look down upon and don't consider to be metal.
When that Roadrunner project came out and Trivium recorded a song with King Diamond all my Nu Metal friends liked the song, so even untrained ears and guys with absolutely no clue what classic metal is about can get into it.

Anyways, I always loved the haunting atmosphere, the voice(s), the riffs, the crazy leads, the album covers, the concept albums... seriously, what is there not to like?

I'd give KD kudos for being the first satanist (I knew) that came across as intelligent. Tom Warrior belongs in that category too, though when I was a teenager and buying mags (late 90s) Celtic Frost wasn't around.
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dethroned Emperor wrote:
Massive fan here, more of a Mercyful Fate than King Diamond fan. I gotta say I am kinda shocked, I thought everybody loved KD.

I never met a metal fan who did not like KD, unless they were into bands I look down upon and don't consider to be metal.
When that Roadrunner project came out and Trivium recorded a song with King Diamond all my Nu Metal friends liked the song, so even untrained ears and guys with absolutely no clue what classic metal is about can get into it.

Anyways, I always loved the haunting atmosphere, the voice(s), the riffs, the crazy leads, the album covers, the concept albums... seriously, what is there not to like?

I'd give KD kudos for being the first satanist (I knew) that came across as intelligent. Tom Warrior belongs in that category too, though when I was a teenager and buying mags (late 90s) Celtic Frost wasn't around.

Of "Satanists"?
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
crypt-onics

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the first EP when it came out. Hated the vocals at first. The music was kick ass though. At the time my friends and I were huge Venom fans and we would slag on people we saw at shows with Mercyful Fate patches. Eventually I got used to the vocals and by the time Don't Break the Oath came out I was a fan. Not a fan of his solo material though. The music just lacks that certain something.
yronwhateley

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a bit over 40, and I can definitely enjoy King Diamond and Mercyful Fate both.

King's vocals are DEFINITELY either an acquired taste or love-it-or-hate-it thing, though - I bought one of the records out of curiosity (Abigail, I believe), and it took me a while to "get it". Once I did, though, the rest of the King Diamond/Mercyful Fate catalog were easy to get into.

NWOBHM, doom metal, death metal, Scandinavian black metal, "beauty-and-beast", and "avant-garde" metal vocal styles were all the same way for me though: a bit off-putting at first, but after I got used to them, no problem at all.

I guess that I enjoy King Diamond's vocals in a way that's comparable to the way I enjoy old Vincent Price horror movies: they're goofy and over-the-top ham-and-cheese fests, but they wouldn't be half as much fun if they weren't. Take them seriously? No way, but they're still a load of fun: I think both Vincent Price and King Diamond enjoy(ed) their roles so much, they'd do the work for free if they had to, and that sense of fun seems a bit infectious and irresistible to me.

Another thing about King Diamond/Mercyful Fate: they more or less have a formula to them that they've stuck to for decades, and they don't ever try anything particularly adventurous or ambitious. They stick with what works, and the results are that they are fairly consistent, without evolving much: if you like one Mercyful Fate or King Diamond record, you'll generally like them all more or less, but they all start to blur together after a little while. (They're kind of similar to Motorhead and AC/DC in that regard.)

I really regard Celtic Frost, Voivod, and other bands that stuck their necks out and took chances over the years more highly: there's always a chance that the "something different" will fail catastrophically, but I respect Celtic Frost and Voivod for trying to explore and do something new, and when it works you can bet that it blazes trails into entire new worlds to explore. In contrast, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond are consistently entertaining, but I'm never going to regard them as anything higher than a band that settled into a comfortable niche and stayed there over the years without doing particularly better or worse than usual.
Miyu_Yan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vocals always ruined it for me. I can't stand the vocals, never was into that style of singing. It has always annoyed me and I never connected with it in any positive way.
drterror666

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, I think King Diamond's vocal style is truly amazing and unique!
Miyu_Yan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I love about music and everything in it, is how subjective it is and how awesome it is that other people can enjoy things that I don't find myself liking and vice versa. That's the beauty of music and on a larger scale art ^.^*
drterror666

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Mercyful Fate song I ever heard was Evil from Melissa. I'd never heard vocals like that before, but it didn't take long to get used to them. I can quite understand why some people would hate the style, but then there are other vocalists that I can't stand as well!
Miyu_Yan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me not getting into this band certainly isn't for a lack of trying. I always try really hard to, over time, give things that I didn't like before a chance. Some things have grown on me and I have come to enjoy them, other things not so much. I always see it as an opportunity to broaden my horizons and maybe someday I will be able to enjoy this style of vocals. I like to keep an open mind with music. The more music I have to listen to, the more variety, the better.
DL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 43 and of course they're good! Grew up with (especially) Don't break the oath, it's a f-in' classic, still excellent. Followed King Diamond solo for a while, but it wasn't quite as good. Enjoyed seeing him live a year or two ago.
GigerFrost

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Melissa the same day I bought Apocalyptic Raids. As well as an EP by French band H-Bomb btw. As for King's voice, I started to think it's annoying when he started using his falsetto voice exclusively. On Melissa he played both his voices as if there were teo singers actually. Condider Melissa an all time fave of mine. Captures a really evil kinda feeling, while King Diamond solo felt like children stuff. And I hate the production of King's solo efforts! They all lack heaviness. Too much treble, too little bass.
GigerFrost

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Melissa the same day I bought Apocalyptic Raids. As well as an EP by French band H-Bomb btw. As for King's voice, I started to think it's annoying when he started using his falsetto voice exclusively. On Melissa he played both his voices as if there were two singers actually. Consider Melissa an all time fave of mine. Captures a really evil kinda feeling, while King Diamond solo felt like children stuff. And I hate the production of King's solo efforts! They all lack heaviness. Too much treble, too little bass.
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GigerFrost wrote:
I bought Melissa the same day I bought Apocalyptic Raids. As well as an EP by French band H-Bomb btw. As for King's voice, I started to think it's annoying when he started using his falsetto voice exclusively. On Melissa he played both his voices as if there were two singers actually. Consider Melissa an all time fave of mine. Captures a really evil kinda feeling, while King Diamond solo felt like children stuff. And I hate the production of King's solo efforts! They all lack heaviness. Too much treble, too little bass.

agreed with the no bass Production of KD solo stuff , since the first album.
H-Bomb? Coup de Metal , no doubt. Another band full of potential and completely destroyed by the system. I saw them in concert in '86. They fired the former French singer and a certain Patrick Diamond (no laugh) had replaced him. No one knew that. all lyrics were translated into English. The band had been booed during the whole gig while this guy insulted the audience in a very bad French. A few months later, the band disappeared.
weird moment .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: