Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
HELLHAMMER single
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: HELLHAMMER single Reply with quote

I hope that was not a joke, and we'll hear a single from HELLHAMMER. And if I understood correctly Tom planning to release it this fall, 31 years later.
Bubbles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you fucking kidding me? Tom said about possible HELLHAMMER SINGLE(!!!) on fall this year, and you have nothing to say?
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch.

Certainly interesting and I'm sure I'll be picking it up. I do wonder what will be on the single -- I was under the impression that everything had already been released.

The single does come as a surprise, because the intent was to allow Demon Entrails and Only Death Is Real to be the final statement from that band. At least, according to the Hellhammer website.

But plans change.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
yronwhateley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember seeing anything about it before, and a quick web search doesn't turn up anything about something that you'd think would make some pretty big waves in metal news.

Can you provide a link to the citation so that we can read the announcement in Tom's own words, in context?
yronwhateley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do some digging, it's from an interview with TotalRock Radio published on June 3, 2015 (link):

Tom Gabriel Fischer: "...In the meantime, I'll release a Hellhammer single that I'd been actually planning to release since Spring, 1984... we'd planned to do a Hellhammer single and it never happened, and I actually talked to Century Media and we're going to do it this Fall, 31 years later, to bridge the gap [until the next Triptykon album], it's kind of a personal, important thing for me.... I went through some Hellhammer papers the other day and I saw this sheet, this proposal we had written on ...my mother's typewriter, in late 1983 about the single, and I was like, 'I have my own record company and I have a licensing deal with Century Media, what the fuck? Try to propose it!' And they said, 'Yeah, let's do it!' So it's going to happen 31 years later; Little Tom would have been happy."
Bubbles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let's back to the Maryland Deathfest and interview with Drummer Guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Ekh-Dr90E
Tom said about possible project that will be play Hellhammer's songs. As I know, the only HH's songs that was played live by Triptykon are "Triumph Of Death", "The Third Of The Storms"(I don't know am I right with this one, but I read somewhere on the forum), and, of course "Messiah". But there was a much more songs, that should be played live by Tom. My personal dreams are "Angel Of Destruction", "Buried And Forgotten" and "Crucifiction".
Ok, and then interview from Temples Fest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubKkbS-swcw
Tom said "In the meantime I'll release Hellhammer single...' and then "...just talked to Century Media that we gonna do it, probably this fall, 31 years later".

So, it's just an interview, but goddamn, it's interview with Tom G. Warrior, who made Hellhammer, who changed history of heavy music.
yronwhateley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Interview with DrummerGuy published on May 27, 2015 (link) soundbite at 5m20s:

TGF: "...I'm actually loosely working on a project to, for the first time, bring Hellhammer songs to the stage. I mean, occasionally we're playing Hellhammer songs in Triptykon, but I don't want Triptykon to be a Hellhammer cover band, and Hellhammer cannot and should not be reformed, because Hellhammer was a product of its time, and I certainly don't want to reform it for money. But, most of these songs have never been played live, and some of the Hellhammer songs, they have difficult things attached, but they mean a lot to me, they were very important for my own path. I would love to play those live, and I'm working on a little project to hopefully bring those on stage this year, as authentically as possible."

Quote:

Interview with TotalRock Radio published on June 3, 2015 (link) soundbite at 14m50s:

TGF: "...In the meantime [while finishing and perfecting the next Triptykon album], I'll release a Hellhammer single that I'd been actually planning to release since Spring, 1984... we'd planned to do a Hellhammer single and it never happened, and I actually talked to Century Media and we're going to do it this Fall, 31 years later, to bridge the gap [until the next Triptykon album], it's kind of a personal, important thing for me.... I went through some Hellhammer papers the other day and I saw this sheet, this proposal we had written on ...my mother's typewriter, in late 1983 about the single, and I was like, 'I have my own record company and I have a licensing deal with Century Media, what the fuck? Try to propose it!' And they said, 'Yeah, let's do it!' So it's going to happen 31 years later; Little Tom would have been happy."

It sounds like rather than revealing a never-before-heard vintage Hellhammer recording (I couldn't imagine there are any Hellhammer recordings Tom knows of that have not already been released), the plan is to record Hellhammer songs as Triptykon (or perhaps a side-project) in the spirit of the Hellhammer single that was never made, with all the benefits of actually having the support of friendly record labels and an actual fully-equipped studio to work with.

In which case, it sounds like this will be fun Smile

To me, Triptykon's performance of "Messiah" at MDF XIII (link) showed every sign that Triptykon could do complete justice to a modern recording of Hellhammer songs, in the spirit intended for the original recordings.

I looked around in Only Death is Real and Are You Morbid? to see if they included any references to the proposal or the papers Tom referred to, but I didn't see them anywhere. I'm guessing that any conversations about a single would have come up in March or April of 1984, during the recording of the Apocalyptic Raids EP (Only Death is Real, Page 167), and before May 31 1984 when Celtic Frost was born out of the ashes of frustration with Hellhammer's baggage and limitations (lineup problems, poor reviews for the EP, etc.) (Only Death is Real, Page 187); I'd guess that the poor reviews and the revolving door of musicians during this period of time more or less killed any chance of a single becoming a reality in '84.

Just guesses, but as near as I can tell, songs that might have appeared on a Hellhammer single during that time period which didn't already appear on the EP, would likely have been "Visions of Mortality" (which appeared as a Celtic Frost song instead), and maybe a re-recording of one or two of the stronger demo tracks, which were already starting to sound a bit like Celtic Frost as we know it, such as "The Third of the Storms (Damnation Evoked)" or "Buried and Forgotten"; from what I read, "Maniac" nearly appeared on the EP but got bumped off by "Horus (Aggressor)", which Tom regretted including almost immediately, and might have also been a candidate for a 'B' side to a Hellhammer single.
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbles wrote:
Are you fucking kidding me? Tom said about possible HELLHAMMER SINGLE(!!!) on fall this year, and you have nothing to say?

No, because i was fucking speechless for a moment. Bring it....
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SigSwat551 wrote:
Bubbles wrote:

No, because i was fucking speechless for a moment. Bring it....

I'm still speechless...
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the single happens, it will be nothing new, and certainly not a studio recording of Hellhammer songs by Triptykon (I would consider this absolutely sacrilegious).

It would be the single exactly as we intended it to be in early 1984, i.e., using two songs off the "Triumph Of Death" demo. It would follow the original notes outlining the release (which are in my archive) to the point.

Tom Gabriel Fischer
yronwhateley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sacrilegious"? I think I can understand where you're coming from on that, and especially as the key member of a series of bands that were always forward-looking it makes sense that you wouldn't stop and turn around to re-record anything from the past.

Still, though, it was definitely a treat to hear Triptykon play those classic Frost and Hellhammer songs live! I doubt there would be too many fans complaining about hearing more Triptykon "covers" of the classics on future Triptykon EPs.

Now that you mention it, there is something that really impressed me about Only Death is Real and Are You Morbid?: those scans of the plans and "road maps" for future Celtic Frost and Hellhammer albums. I wonder if it's common for metal and rock musicians to plan their futures so carefully? I can't imagine it is, and it does make fascinating reading, in addition to those "what could have been" moments ("I wonder what Necronomicon would have been like, if there'd been a chance to complete it?")
DL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there still hope for this cool "resurrected vintage" (in search for a fitting term) 7'' to be released?
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are working intensely on the Blood Insanity 7" single at the moment, strictly in accordance with the original concept as drafted in early 1984.

We are currently engaged in various efforts to obtain source material of a slightly better quality than we had in our possession when we created the Demon Entrails retrospective. We would like the single to be as close to the original group of Warrior/Warrior/Day as is possible, 33 years after the recording sessions. A couple of notable and very generous collectors are helping us.

I expect the mastering to be completed in a few weeks, and the single to be released in the course of the year.

Tom Gabriel Fischer
TODESKING

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after 33 years ... that's like a tear in a prophet's dream Laughing
Deni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other great news!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: