Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Celtic Frost Remastering Sessions 2016
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Celtic Frost Remastering Sessions 2016 Reply with quote

*watermark created by Dino Pavlopoulos, 2012
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com

Last edited by DrMorbid on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tingles and warm fuzzies Wink
1349.com
darkfortress.org
peteb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D wrote:

oh man you are not kidding. Tom this is an incredible photo, which inspires complete confidence in the process. although I do suppose that a "caption" for the 2nd photo could be thought up, something about auto-tune. Smile thank you for sharing.
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus far, I have only heard the remaster (and viewed the process) of Into The Pandemonium (as well as a few portions of To Mega Therion). We all know how monumental the album was and how influential it became. Unfortunately, it suffered from a highly flawed recording which caused many elements to be buried.

Tom and Victor worked into the middle of the night to bring more separation to instrumentation, as well as bring up the bottom end a bit. Numerous other flaws over the entire album were painstakingly corrected. The overall result is that the 2016 Into the Pandemonium audio is significantly improved without changing the feel of the album and while being respectful to it as a historical documentation. Fans will be able to instantly identify with it and any elements they may now hear that were buried on the previous versions.

There were numerous moments where the differences were apparent, even without a side-by-side comparison. Most certainly, Reed St. Mark fans will be VERY happy with what they hear.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com

Last edited by DrMorbid on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid Tales/Emperors Return: Will Journey into Fear be included?
To Mega Therion: Which basstracks were used in The Usurper and Jewel Throne? Martinís or Dominicís?
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteb wrote:
D wrote:

oh man you are not kidding. Tom this is an incredible photo, which inspires complete confidence in the process. although I do suppose that a "caption" for the 2nd photo could be thought up, something about auto-tune. Smile thank you for sharing.

Also a slight diversion: I want it to be known that none of these photos were staged. These were exactly what I observed during the process. I observed, waited for the moment with the camera, and shot. Didn't go nuts with the post-processing, and it was done. I wanted to document exactly what I saw and put the photos out there of the process.

They deliberated into the night about various points, while V. Santura put in a massive effort to figure out how to make various ideas work, along with numerous playbacks until they got it right.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
deadskin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Century media will release it this year?
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon1969 wrote:
Morbid Tales/Emperors Return: Will Journey into Fear be included?
To Mega Therion: Which basstracks were used in The Usurper and Jewel Throne? Martinís or Dominicís?

Journey Into Fear will be included, of course.

As for the the songs The Usurper, Jewel Throne, and Return To The Eve (1985 To Mega Therion studio jam version), we are using the takes for which Martin re-recorded the bass. I am not even sure if Dominic Steiner's bass tracks were retained when we did this at Harris John's studio.

Using these takes is legitimate (and was also legitimate for the 1999 reissues) because this was the original intention by Celtic Frost in 1985. We had asked Noise Records for a complete remix of To Mega Therion, with the addition of new bass tracks. But we were only granted time and budget for three songs, which we then released as the Tragic Serenades EP.

In tending to the current reissues, we were able to noticeably improve the sound of To Mega Therion, even for the tracks without Martin.

Tom Gabriel Fischer, from Woodshed Studio in Landshut
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadskin wrote:
Century media will release it this year?

This is not a Century Media/Prowling Death Records production. BMG Rights own the rights to Celtic Frost's Noise-era catalogue.

It is to be released this year. I'm sure BMG Rights will issue details in due course.

Tom Gabriel Fischer
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMorbid wrote:
The overall result is that the 2016 Into the Pandemonium audio is significantly improved without changing the feel of the album and while being respectful to it as a historical documentation.

In my mind, this is a tricky issue: on the one hand, there is the vision that the artist has, which, perhaps because of temporal or monetary or technological reasons, he or she isn't able to fully realize; on the other, the work as it is received by the audience, which is a symetrically intimate experience. I'm guessing that those are two things which can be difficult to reconcile, at least for the conservative segment of the audience. Several other albums from this era have been released after slight changes have been made and I often find the results jarring. A remaster of Peace Sells comes to mind. Another example, although slightly different, is the release of the full track "Choir of the Damned" on Pleasure to Kill. I bought the vinyl when it was released and then the re-released CD some time about a decade ago. My first reaction was "what is this -- it doesn't belong here."

So I'm glad to hear that you are excited by the results, Doc. I sat out the '99 reissues, but I'll be watching these with keen interest.

I think we all owe big thanks to Doc for documenting this process and to TGF and V. for thereby allowing us access.

Finally, much respect to Tom for engaging this project based on principle and not lucre.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Paulie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused.

As per the chaotic schism of however many years ago, my understanding, perhaps totally incorrect, was that Tom no longer has any financial stake in the CF catalog. While I understand how an artist WOULD want to maintain artistic control and direction of a project, this remaster / re-release of CF material confuses me from a business standpoint (besides the obvious trollbait of re-selling the same material over again, a position I do not subscribe to, I'll buy what I like including the same albums over again, thank you) - Who exactly is in *financial* control of this?

Of course, as I read that back, I also recognize that it's none of my business. I'm just scratching my head about it all.

I also know I will be the sole voice in the forest about this, but if remasters and re-releases are happening, PLEASE REMASTER COLD LAKE. Even a quick pass-by to bring the sonic range up to date would be vastly appreciated. I know, no one wants to spend the time or money to fix something seen as a weed in the garden, but fuck that, Cold Lake is chock-full of great riffology. As far as I'm concerned, other than the vocals (my apologies to Herr Fischer), I love that album from end to end (you can keep the photos off it though, ha). Watch - Remaster it, do a limited release, and say "you were right" when it sells out. Even better, re-record the vocals, something I've been saying for a couple decades now!

Respectfully submitted,
PAULIE
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I just wrote on my blog today, a pure remaster of an existing production effects an actually rather small change on the sound. It probably compares best to using the equalizer on a stereo system (if anybody still uses these), or a better stereo system. A remaster also doesn't affect the song structure or changes the version of the song.

Such more drastic changes can only be made if remixing a production, i.e., if the original multi-track recording still exists (2" tapes or, later, computer files). If such a thing is the intention, that is. In that case, a production can still be radically altered in just about every manner.

That was never the intention in our case - and even if it was for some moronic reason, the original multi-track recordings no longer exist. I would never change our classics at any rate, even if I could.

Into The Pandemonium was always marred by a significant phase shift resulting in a comb filter effect (a phase difference between the microphones) on the rhythm guitars, introduced during the recording sessions because on an utterly inept engineer and the massive problems we experienced with the record company. This phase shift decreases the power of the songs.

As said above such a thing could only be truly fixed - if anybody would actually wish to do such a thing - in the original multi-track recordings. Our remastering was only able to mitigate the effect slightly (as it is irreversibly present on the final mxi), thereby restoring a bit of the missing power.

Tom Gabriel Fischer

Last edited by Tom Gabriel Fischer on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulie wrote:
I'm confused.

As per the chaotic schism of however many years ago, my understanding, perhaps totally incorrect, was that Tom no longer has any financial stake in the CF catalog. While I understand how an artist WOULD want to maintain artistic control and direction of a project, this remaster / re-release of CF material confuses me from a business standpoint (besides the obvious trollbait of re-selling the same material over again, a position I do not subscribe to, I'll buy what I like including the same albums over again, thank you) - Who exactly is in *financial* control of this?

Paulie

You are correct in that I do not own the rights to the Noise Records-era catalogue of Celtic Frost. None of the former band members do. Thanks to the Noise Records recording contracts of the time, the rights belonged to Noise. Noise was then acquired by Rod Smallwood's Sanctuary Group, and the rights owned by that company finally ended up acquired by Universal Music, and now by BMG Rights.

BMG Rights can do whatever they wish with these recordings - because they own the rights. They can release them at will, and in any shape, way, or form. Given these facts, I am thus grateful that they have agreed to give me control over their Celtic Frost reissue campaign.

You are also correct in stating that I don't stand to gain any royalties from these releases. The royalties go directly to Ain GmbH, and thus to Martin. I don't even know if Ain GmbH properly distributes any royalties to the other former Celtic Frost members.

Why am I thus still involving myself with these reissues? Because this is my music, my lyrics (over 50%), my ideas, my productions. It is my life's work, the result of my passion, and my picture and my name are on these albums. I am doing this entirely out of artistic reasons. I want to see this done the right way.

Paulie wrote:
PLEASE REMASTER COLD LAKE. Even a quick pass-by to bring the sonic range up to date would be vastly appreciated. I know, no one wants to spend the time or money to fix something seen as a weed in the garden, but fuck that, Cold Lake is chock-full of great riffology.

I respect the points you make, but I will never do this. Moreover, even if insanity would possess me and I would actually wish to ever touch that disease-ridden abomination, the original multi-track tapes no longer exist, and it is thus impossibole to re-record anything. Not that such a thing would make it a better album.

In fact, the well-worn John Fryer quote of "you can't polish a turd" also applies to Vanity/Nemesis.

I personally consider Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion, Into The Pandemonium, and Monotheist the crucial Celtic Frost albums. That's not a bad track record, and that's good enough for me.

Tom Gabriel Fischer
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder that this is a remaster and not a remix. The distinction has always been foggy in my mind and I have never bothered to educate myself. (Sheer laziness, as that information is literally at my fingertips.)

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interresting.
So, if I understand correctly , this situation about rights and royalties does not necessarily imply a stricto sensus contribution of one or other holder in this case of remasters , including a more or less involvement of Martin Ain or anyone else.
Business meanders seem so obscur to a non-initiated person like me.
But the most important is that I've no doubt about the quality of work that's being done right now.
so exciting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: