Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Delineation II: Women In Metal (Feb 19, 2018)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Delineation II: Women In Metal (Feb 19, 2018) Reply with quote

"Women In Metal - A Personal View (Part 1)"

Last edited by Ramon1969 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
drterror666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Tom says to a degree; I only differ in that I feel musicians should wear whatever they want on stage. I totally understand that some bands use this as a gimmick, but some don't; it's part of the overall band image. Taking what Tom says verbatim, how would he have taken artists like Iggy Pop, Jim Morrison or Freddie Mercury seriously?

As a metaller from the early 80s, I found it disappointing that there wasn't more women in metal bands, although I understand the amount of testosterone running through the scene. Even female metal fans used to get insulted because they couldn't possibly be into anything heavier than Bon Jovi et al. But, we're in the 21st century now and this should all be lost in the mist of time.
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Gabiel Fischer wrote:
In closing, I feel compelled to mention Triptykon's bassist once more. I have been fortunate enough in my life to work with musicians with an extraordinary personality and/or exceptional technical capabilities, but it is Vanja who ranks among those for whom I feel the most profound respect. She essentially inherited the place once occupied by Martin Eric Ain in Celtic Frost. This is a difficult position to fill, and yet she is holding her own impeccably; in a different manner than Martin, of course, but ideologically on a par. Without her, Triptykon could have never arisen so assertively from Celtic Frost's ashes, and I cannot imagine the band without her.

Ramon1969 wrote:
I have exactly the same thought when I saw this video from the Blastfest. These precise up and down movements have me totally intrigued. And she plays even harder than 2 years ago. There are many guitarists who can't do it ... but Vanja does this on a bass guitar!
Vanjas style is very different from the other bass players who have played in HH/CF. Tom could do no better choice. The fact that she has a completely different style, and also to be a WOMAN, even direct comparisons could never be done...

http://www.triptykon.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=42244&highlight=#42244
Ramon1969

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Women In Metal - A Personal View (Part 2)"
Frosticle666

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the best person for the job is the best person, whether they be male or female.The metal scene has always had a predominantly male following, and been viewed as a very masculine genre, but I see this is changing. I think it is good to acknowledge how far women have come in the world of metal, particularly extreme metal. There are more women forming bands and playing metal, and a bigger female presence at extreme metal gigs now than 25 years ago. I used to turn up to extreme metal gigs when there was only a handful of women there, including myself! I've been laughed at and told by men that women can't listen to black metal, and that I was only wearing an extreme metal t-shirt to look cool! I am heartened though, because I believe this is changing. I hope to see the day when we are no longer discussing "women in metal", just the musicians who are forwarding the metal scene.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: