Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Monotheist Tour Dates 2007 (updated August 13, 2007)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaspherion

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be seeing them tommorow night! Twisted Evil
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw CF last night here in Atlanta. My buddy and I got to the show a little late, had time to get a beer and look at the merchandise, and walk up to the front. I was surprised at how packed the house was, and the next thing I knew Franco was walking on stage.

CF played a superb set. Again, I had chills during certain passages of certain songs from the back catalog. Even after 20 years, with a nuanced approach to their presentation, these songs remain powerful. I had the same reaction to certain passages in "Synagoga Satanae" -- I think we have another 20 years classic on our hands.

There has been some criticism of V Santura as the guest guitarist -- I think he fit in well. It didn't sound to me like he was necessarily playing the solos note-for-note, but the interpretations were tasteful. Plus, his presence made a nice visual contribution -- he and Martin headbang like crazy, book-ending Tom.

I was really presently surprised about the turnout. Based on Nocturnal Dimension's review of the Chicago show, I was concerned about the crowd. But, the crowd was very, very receptive to CF's set. Clearly, the majority of folks were there for Type O.

Somewhere here, Tom has stated that the two bands are getting along very well. That was clearly the case. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but for those who will be seeing the upcoming shows, pay special attention to the lyrics "and hunts and wars / are like everlasting shadow" in "Circle of the Tyrants."

Here, I think, is the setlist:

Procreation (of the Wicked)
Visions of Mortality
Circle of The Tyrants
The Usurper
Necromantical Screams
Dawn of Meggido
Dethroned Emperor
Into The Crypts of Rays
Synagoga Satanae
Winter: Requiem

I was a little surprised that they didn't begin the show with Totengott. Because I was expecting it, I was a little thrown off when Franco walked on stage. As with the last show, the house lights came up and people started talking during Winter. I think the house also cut the piece short. In any event, I didn't get a copy of the setlist, but that is what they played, as best as I can remember.

I wonder what Tom's perspective on the show is. There seemed to be some sort of equipment problem, I'm guessing with the monitors. I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong, accept that a roadie (guitar tech?) came out on stage once during a song to do something.

As a sidenote -- I have only heard two songs by Type O Negative, and have never seen them live. I was really surprised when the singer walked out on stage for their set -- how tall is that dude?!?!

I got the chance to shake the hands of both Martin and Tom last night. They seemed well, although that sort of thing is really impossible to tell from a 10 second interaction. But, I was pleased to shake Martin's hand. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to make the meet and greet at the last Atlanta show.

True, the sound wasn't as loud as when they headlined. True, the setlist is compressed. True, they had very limited stage space to play in. True, this isn't the show that we all want, in the best of all worlds. Nonetheless, I am very happy that I went and, with all due respect to Nocturnal Dimension, I would definitely recommend that anyone who has read these pages for any length of time go see this show. Even under these adverse circumstances, Celtic Frost kicked ass.
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet breakdown of the show, thank you !

I agree about V. I think he fits in well and seems very enthusiastic about his playing with Frost. His play style is definitely not just mimicking old sound.
I thought when I saw them on the 11th of last month that his style didn't by any means diminish the music, if anything it added something quite complimentary.

I'm seriously hoping they bring him back next time.

Was that meet and greet after the show?
1349.com
darkfortress.org
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D wrote:

It wasn't really a meet and greet -- the Masquerade is sort of oddly shaped. Like CBGB, in some ways. I just sort of ambushed them.

I probably could have chatted with them for hours. Its such an odd thing, really -- they create their music and send it out into the world. We listen to it, develop our own network of associations and memories and meanings, which, of course, they don't know about and bear no responsibility for.

So, in a fit of shyness, I pretty much just approached them, stuck out a hand, said, "good show" and ran.

Last edited by Knucklehead on Sun May 06, 2007 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adrift

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
D wrote:

It wasn't really a meet and greet -- the Masquerade is sort of oddly shaped. Like CBGB, in some ways. I just sort of ambushed them.

I would probably could have chatted with them for hours. Its such an odd thing, really -- they create their music and send it out into the world. We listen to it, develop our own network of associations and memories and meanings, which, of course, they don't know about and bear no responsibility for.

So, in a fit of shyness, I pretty much just approached them, stuck out a hand, said, "good show" and ran.

Just for the record, Peter Steele of Type O Negative is 6'7"...monster of a man.

When I saw Tom in Lawrence walking across the street (we were outside during the Type O set...love their albums, but their show that night left a bit to be desired....but Peter was sick) all I could muster was a "Fantastic show Tom, thank you so much for coming to Lawrence!!"...turned 6 shades of red and about bolted.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, I believe I've seen a change in Franco's playing style. I think I read somewhere that he was playing in stoner-rock bands before he joined CF. On the first US tour, he style was graceful and he played with passion.

Friday night, he was a freakin' monster. He was playing with power and a fierceness that I don't believe he had before when I saw them back in the fall. Maybe it was an off-night for him, maybe I was too busy watching Martin and Tom. But it sure did seem different Friday night.
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
I forgot to mention, I believe I've seen a change in Franco's playing style. I think I read somewhere that he was playing in stoner-rock bands before he joined CF. On the first US tour, he style was graceful and he played with passion.

Friday night, he was a freakin' monster. He was playing with power and a fierceness that I don't believe he had before when I saw them back in the fall. Maybe it was an off-night for him, maybe I was too busy watching Martin and Tom. But it sure did seem different Friday night.

I agree, he brings back Gar Samuelson memories of Malevolent Skin Bashing.
Dude is fierce without a doubt Smile
1349.com
darkfortress.org
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're mere hours from the NYC shows.

Hope to see all there (you know who you are!).
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
demise

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killer show, weak crowd. at the beginning of the set i heard a you suck chant, which kind of boggled me.

i was on the rail with my buddy right near V. Santura headanging like a maniac and pumping my fist. tom g even looked over a few times smiling and what not, which was cool.

absolutely no movement to the first few songs, so me and my friend took the initiative during "Dethroned Emperor" and got things started. was fun to see the few other die hards headbanging with us in the pit and just having a good time, absolutely NO anger in that pit, just guys wanting to enjoy the gods.

setlist in order:

Procreation of the Wicked
Visions of Mortality
Circle of the Tyrants
Necromantical Screams
Dawn of Meggido
The Usurper
Dethroned Emperor
Morbid Tales
Into the Crypt of Rays
Synagoga Satanae
MartinDavidson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celtic Frost - Sydney, Australia. 13th June.

Personally I've waited 22 years (got the 1st four albums on vinyl when they originally were released) to see Celtic Frost and could not believe my eyes when I read they were coming down here.

Like many I was a bit skeptical when the Monotheist album was announced - having followed them from the year dot and being dumbstruck by the Cold Lake saga. But, the album was great (even my Wife likes it!).

I was praying not to be disappointed, but, I was blown away. Cracking crystal clear sound and atmosphere. The crowd were seemingly all my age and (like myself) constantly amazed and surprised to hear all the tracks we've loved for years & years (Procreation of the Wicked was a brilliant starter). The death grunt tally was of course suitably numerous. Interestingly the reaction was quite muted on occasions with applause more than shouts, but on looking around people were basically standing with there mouth agape. So CF don't take it as being a bit lacking in the feedback.

We were gobsmacked.

Thanks for coming and please, please return so I can personally thank you at a signing (well cheesed off I missed this one at Utopia).

Martin.
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinDavidson wrote:
Interestingly the reaction was quite muted on occasions with applause more than shouts, but on looking around people were basically standing with there mouth agape.

Wow, that reaction is global now it seems Smile
1349.com
darkfortress.org
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reviewed through this thread today, in preparation of the close of 2007. Some really great stuff to review through and an impressive touring schedule on top of that.

Please feel free to post some of your thoughts, pictures, or any assorted memories of this tour before it is laid to rest.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kzr750r1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's been over a year since the Seattle show I still have fond memories of the performance.

I was working that weekend on a project and took the opportunity to take in the show while in town. Even tough I had to work another 12 hours the next day.

Kick myself not taking the opportunity to see the S.F. show after that weekend. I had returned home to the Bay Area that Monday.

Although I had not played the Monotheist CD often before the show the songs from this release were awesome live!

I always enjoy seeing bands in a small club as the energy is huge.

So seeing them for this second time (first being The Stone in Palo Alto w/Voivod) made such an impression that the Monotheist CD has not left my car since. This last NA tour looked grueling and after hearing the San Diego show it sounded like Tom was loosing his voice.

Keep up the good work guys and see ya next time around the world.
peterott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I was at the Watain, Legion Of The Damned, Celtic Frost, Kreator concert in 2007 in Stuttgart - my first and only CF concert (the one 1990 in Ravensburg on the Vanity/Nemesis Campaign Slow Freeze tour got cancelled - so Black Sabbath in October '90 became my first attended Metal concert), and tried to find some youtube footage - rainy Friday evening..

Found one pro-clip on youtube actually, Sorrows Of The Moon. Additionally I see me in the audience which is funny at least.

Sadly I don't get an answer by the people who made it, if there is more of the whole concert somewhere else visible. Nevertheless, please enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLoYzS2USgQ

Cool itinerary website by the way here:
http://www.metallipromo.com/cf.html
I know Zane has created a similar list, but I like all the flyers and pictures there.
MEGIDDO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ WOW ! amazing . thanx for sharing .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: