Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Press Release: April 09, 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rigurwothis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought sometimes it would be fun to cover whole the Cold Lake album in a raw style and "blacken it up"... Twisted Evil
Don't know if that's even possible, though....
V/N is a cool album after all.
vornn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMorbid wrote:
Vornn,

What was the concensus of the fan base at the time of "CF's return" for Vanity/Nemesis? That was the point where I finally found out directly who this Celtic Frost was in the form of an interview with Tom in Rip!, or some other mag. Didn't hear it until about ten years later.

It wouldn't be fair for me to answer that question, because so many people do love that album. I always considered it a 'very watered down' Celtic Frost. Over the years, the CF fans I have met have pretty much been equally divided over it. I always questioned this, thinking it was more of an 'acceptance' of what CF was doing, but within themselves hoping for the real return. I always considered this in itself sad because of what CF had built itself upon. Almost like raising a child a certain way only to go against everything you raised that child to be yourself. I had prided this band because of what they had built in their first three albums, the band had simply decided to go the route I was no longer interested in. I am drifting from the original question though,

I would not dare say what the consensus would have been for "Vanity Nemesis" at the time of CF's return, but one thing I will say at this time. When they did return and everyone was expecting a continuance or the extension of "V-N", I was hoping for a darker, heavier, return to the CF of old. Happy as Hell Mr. Fischer seen the light, heck everyone loses their minds from time to time.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigurwothis wrote:
Well, I thought sometimes it would be fun to cover whole the Cold Lake album in a raw style and "blacken it up"... Twisted Evil
Don't know if that's even possible, though....
V/N is a cool album after all.

Hey! Welcome back!

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Devilokk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a fan that had endured the "Cold Lake" debacle as it was happening, I remember being very pleased when V/N came out, that it was in fact a return to a heavier sound.

V/N has some good tunes, and the songs still come across as heavy, but it is embued with production techniques and arrangements that are very much in the vein of early 1990's power metal.
Not as much as some of the material on the "Nemesis Of Power" and "Under Apollyon's Sun"demo recordings, or the ghastly groove-metal of the early AS stuff (the awful cover of "Babylon Fell" comes to mind) but still pretty dated. Especially the guitar sound.
I look back at it as the album that has aged the least gracefully over time (as CL was shit to begin with).

It is very interesting that the first three albums; nostalgia aside, have held up so well. They still seem vital and alive to this day.
ApolloXI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devilokk wrote:
Speaking as a fan that had endured the "Cold Lake" debacle as it was happening, I remember being very pleased when V/N came out, that it was in fact a return to a heavier sound.

I agree with this and your subsequent paragraphs. I went on a long train journey to my favourite record store to pick up V/N on the day of release and it was a big relief that Martin was back in the band and that the hair metal look had (for the most part) been kicked. I remember the cover and fonts and stuff not really sitting well with me initially.

I saw the band live at the Astoria in London and it was fun but there certainly wasn't the gravitas of the pre-Cold Lake shows. I think most fans at the time were still in shock and were grasping for anything that got the CF train back on track. Music fans are like that, we're idiot suckers who'll support egos even when it really is time to move on. I didn't really rate V/N, to some extent I disliked it even more than CL because it seemed to be a confused record. It was still steeped in some CL aesthetics, a quest for a "modern" sound (which wasn't delivered) and a neatly deft avoidance of having to return to the "old ways". We'd have to wait a long time for that. Smile.
Elohim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember sitting in my room at night, listening to 'Vara's Vuurwerk', a Dutch hardrock/heavy metal radio show that aired weekly and the DJ presents a new track by Celtic Frost called 'A Kiss or a Whisper', and I was thinking like 'Yeah right, more Cold Lake crap', and then the song hit... I was actually stunned. The album was not out yet, and the Aardschok wrote a review in which they called the album 'Vanim Y Nemesis' and wrote that it was a return to TMT and MT. I bought it without listening. And coming home I didn't agree with the review. It reminded of MT in some places, but it sounded more like a traditional heavy metal album. Nevertheless, I still listen to V/N from time to time. What? I sometimes listen to Cold Lake as well...
Paulie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good friend of mine got married two weeks ago, made several compilation CDs to play during the reception, and included "Seduce Me Tonight" on one of them.

I love "Cold Lake."

Back to the discussion...

CF Forever

PAULIE
Totengott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanity/Nemesis is my favorite.
Theres just something about it....
And we sure as hell ain't taking no shit!
--Children of Bodom, Hate Crew Death Roll. COBHC!!
Deni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totengott:

It´s really interesting to see a very young CF fan mentioning "Vanity Nemesis" as your favorite album.

Although I know that "Into The Pandemonium" was the most daring album released by the band, my two favorites are "Vanity/Nemesis" and "Morbid Tales".

Since I think you haven't a copy from "Are You Morbid" book, I would like to show you some Tom thoughts about V/N at that time:

"...Vanity/Nemesis is, along with the irreplaceable Into The Pandemonium, the essence and culmination of Celtic Frost to date. It is a milestone on our personal path, and thus equal in importance to our 1987 experimental juggernaut.

... Roli and Howie's mastering has honed the material, and now we know that we hold Celtic Frost's most integrated, mature and technically confident album is our hands. Finally!"

Deni
Totengott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deni wrote:
Totengott:

It´s really interesting to see a very young CF fan mentioning "Vanity Nemesis" as your favorite album.

Yes. Although I do know that To Mega Therion is a much better album, I still enjoy V/N alot.

And thank you for sharing those quotes with me Smile
Deni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Totengott. It's always a pleasure to share informations about one of our favorites bands.

A Kiss and a Whisper to you! Wink

Deni
Totengott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deni wrote:
You're welcome Totengott. It's always a pleasure to share informations about one of our favorites bands.

A Kiss and a Whisper to you! Wink

Deni

=D Thanks
evilangel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about different CF albums, brings to mind how I find Morbid Tales to be the ultimate album of all time, for me that is. Cool
Kapalika

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings everybody and nobody... it may seem odd for a new member of this board to comment on something which has most probably been accepted by everybody here as a first post but well, "technical difficulties" prevented me from expressing my dismay at these "old news" at an earlier date so bear with me, hehe.

The demise of Celtic Frost truly came as a shock to me - not the "aw, my fave band has split up blabla" - shallowness, no, rather as the understanding of a loss.

No drama here, it is just that I truly perceived "Monotheist" as a piece of art with tremendous depth and based on something very personal which communicated itself through every aspect.
In contrast to virtually all "come back" albums of once legendary acts Celtic Frost managed to come up with something special, maybe even unexpected and, surely, something not understood and even despised by some former fans and those who were attracted to the legacy after the initial demise. Well, I could even understand why people scoffed at "Monotheist" but my perception was and is a thoroughly different one (and apart from Monotheist their earlier efforts up to and including "To Mega Therion" are masterpieces for me so I love the "old school").

I belong to the younger group of fans, being introduced into the darker realms of metal when Swedish Death Metal was unleashed in all its glory.

So, I was too young to see CF during their first existence and I still curse myself that I declined the opportunity to witness CF when they played with Kreator before announcing the split - I hoped for a better package, one with a band that would have been on par with Celtic Frost. Too late.

I wanted to express my conviction that there are neccessities beyond the human ones, words that have to said and deeds that have to be done which outshadow mere human ego and whatever comes attached to it... yes, exactly, that greater thing would have been the follow up to "Monotheist". I still think that hidden within "Monotheist", unspoken and therefore looming and present is the aural entity that would have been a continuation, antithesis, twin, mirror image, distortion or whatever word one may choose that would have been the neccesary next step.

Well, of course I know that the pages of the book have been turned and new chapters are to be written - there will be no turning back and it seems it is for the better (even though that is not for me to decide, hell no, we all are mere spectators) so I will keep my eyes open for what will come next.

Just wanted to express this.

No group hugging please. Wink

Special thanks to Peter and Zane for helping and sorting out the trouble that prevented me from signing up here.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapalika wrote:
The demise of Celtic Frost truly came as a shock to me - not the "aw, my fave band has split up blabla" - shallowness, no, rather as the understanding of a loss.

You are among friends, then. Welcome.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Celtic Frost General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: