Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Warhammer!! WTF????!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wurm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Warhammer!! WTF????!! Reply with quote

I just inherited 4 re-releases by this band Warhammer who until now I had never heard of. I haven't opened them up yet but after hearing some samples of their stuff online, I'm not sure I even want to. Anybody know anything about these Hellhammer imposters?
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of the Warhammer RPG's by Games Workshop, and the new MMO that has grabbed me by the ghoulies, but thats it.

Are they bad?
1349.com
darkfortress.org
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean these guys?

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the blatantly stolen motto in the Tolkien font, but also check the background image on the flyer they have up for that upcoming November show, that's just fucking bullshit. Even the album covers border on plagiarism. The singer even 'ooo!'s"

I have to assume that this is obviously some kind of tribute band that has original poorly produced Hellhammer / Celtic Frost influenced material.
I mean there's influence and then there is this. It's almost as if they have taken some of the best sounds and imagery of early era HH/CF and altered it slightly, just enough to bastardize it, then pretended the original material never existed.

Edit: on their comments, they have someone who does mention they are a tribute band.
1349.com
darkfortress.org
Wurm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
I assume you mean these guys?

Yeah
Wurm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D wrote:
Never mind the blatantly stolen motto in the Tolkien font, but also check the background image on the flyer they have up for that upcoming November show, that's just fucking bullshit. Even the album covers border on plagiarism. The singer even 'ooo!'s"

I have to assume that this is obviously some kind of tribute band that has original poorly produced Hellhammer / Celtic Frost influenced material.
I mean there's influence and then there is this. It's almost as if they have taken some of the best sounds and imagery of early era HH/CF and altered it slightly, just enough to bastardize it, then pretended the original material never existed.

Edit: on their comments, they have someone who does mention they are a tribute band.

My thoughts exactly. When I had a chance to look at the covers of the CD's the artwork struck me as an instant rip off. Then turning one over theres a picture of one of the band members who is even posing and making the same face Martin made on the back of one of the Hellhammer releases. On one of their song clips on the myspace site I heard the same "Ooo" that Tom of course created and made famous. Everything about these guys appears to be plagiarism.

I understand they are in fact billed as a Hellhammer tribute, but if they are indeed a tribute then why do all of their releases feature 'original' (although I'd certainly use that word loosely) material? If you're a tribute then it's expected that you'd try to 're-create' the band or act you're paying homage to, whether that's copying the clothes, the look, the musical equipment, perfecting the songs themselves, whatever. These guys however appear to be quite the joke.

I wonder if Tom is aware of them?
Deni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not wrong, seems that Tom would produce the next Warhammer album, before the band separation.

I have all the albums released by them and they are really Hellhammer ultra-maniacs.
I think they sound good, although nothing original, of course. But for sure, no band sound so near Hellhammer like them.

The two first albums are my favorites...

Deni
Durtal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a shittier incarnation of the band,as it's missing the only person that made WarHammer worthwhile: Frank Krynojewski

Best to avoid ... unless you like "Blick 'em - Blick 'em" drummers , and a vocalist that sounds like he's straining to pinch a loaf .....

Yes , absolutely nothing can compare to the might of HellHammer ..... but even Frank said this in the liner notes .... of every album.Whatever was created by him was atleast done with the highest respect to HH ...

DeathChrist and Doom Messiah are atleast worth a listen , mainly for the Atonal riff worship of WARRIOR ....

Just don't forget who the originators are , and forever will be
Paulie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard them in a while, but always liked what I did hear. It's not as good as Hellhammer, nor could it ever be, but it's a reasonable facsimile.

My take on it is, this band worships HH and wanted to make music that could have resembled what HH could possibly have done, had HH continued. Ever listen to EVERYTHING HH has done and felt it isn't enough? Of course, we all have. This is almost some more - A band that does a HH cover style rather than cover songs. Needless to say, it could only be speculative at best, but it does provide us a certain amount of material that is in the same vein as HH.

All the best,
PAULIE
Opolus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First up, "Durtal" is absolutely right about current WARHAMMER not being the same anymore, due to Frank Krynojewski missing, who eventually was the driving force behind nearly all music, most artwork and at least half of the lyrics! WARHAMMER's discography ranges from utterly great stuff ("Towards The Chapter Of Chaos" Demo/(and later) compilation album & "The Doom Messiah") to actually not very good shit, like their ill-fated and pretty unpleasant debut album "The Winter Of Our Discontent"! If you have REAL love and fanatism for HELLHAMMER and don't like at least some of WARHAMMER's better stuff, something's obviously wrong with you! There is actually at times a thin line between plagiarsim and trying to continue in the olden Nürensdorfer paths, but Frank is COMPLETELY obsessed with HELLHAMMER, so even if he'd try to come up with something else, he'll always be trapped in late '83/early '84!! As I know him personally, I can sincerely say, that I NEVER encountered anyone as fanatical about that particular band as him. Even my very own nearly unhealthy obsession with HH pales in comparison! This guy can talk hours on end about ANY given detail about Swiss' very finest, be it musically, lyrically or artworkwise, it's insane!! So anyone dismissing WARHAMMER (the incarnation featuring Frank) is completely missing the point, I'm afraid, as the whole idea of the band was a mixture of being a tribute and continuing in the vein of mighty HELLHAMMER in the first place, with Frank being the first to admit, that nothing will ever be able to beat the original! When it comes to Tom's connection with the band, it's a given fact, that he completely resented WARHAMMER during most of the band's -initial- existence, while mentioning them in a more positve manner during one of his more recent interviews in "Rock Hard". What did anyone expect from Tom, when he was already despising his very own Original, to put it like that... I still don't see him producing any WARHAMMER record, though, because his own guitarsound and conception of music and production is -despite him coming to terms with his musical past by now- in the contemporary "here & now", so it doesn't make any sense. ONLY DEATH IS REAL!!
[Will most probably put on "Deathchrist" now, another album featuring some great songs!]
Deni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said Opolus!
I didn't know that Warhammer has been reformed. But this new line-up, without Frank, really sucks.

Deni
vornn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D wrote:
I know of the Warhammer RPG's by Games Workshop, and the new MMO that has grabbed me by the ghoulies, but thats it.

Are they bad?

I never played 'War Hammer' but love the looks of the armoured soldiers. Ala- Bolt Thrower "Realm Of Chaos" cover, 'old one'.

All Hellhammer imposters are boring. Only enough room in my head for one at a time.
chrisdavisjr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness me. I'd never heard these fellas until now and I had no idea that they were all but a carbon-copy of Hellhammer.

I suppose that means they're pretty good, in a way...

... and yet I feel as if there's something profoundly wrong going on here.
Equimanthorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's anyone out there from Glasgow...

Missing Records are selling all the Warhammer re-releases at the shockingly cheap price of £5...

That is, if I don't get to them first...
peterott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw "the new Warhammer" live two weeks ago on a festival. Sorry, guitar tone is now different, the godly Ain-sounding bass style is gone and I think the drummer is the weak point in the band as it was close of fucking up one or two songs with the first notes due to wrong drumming speed...

I saw them live '99 in Wacken in the tent and it was a great moment, with an incredibly great guitar tone and Frank still playing bass. That guy even looked like Ain Smile

I like Demo+The Winter Of Our Discontent most. Then follows Curse Of The Absolut Eclipse. The records were they made one step away of Hellhammer have some decent riffs and songs, but are not completely my taste.

EDIT: Apocalyptic Raids (BRA) - The Return Of The Satanic Rites rules so much.......as does Cianide (US) - Death Doom And Destruction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Hellhammer General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: