Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Triptykon Official Myspace
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SigSwat551

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this moment the songs 'Abyss within my soul' and 'A Thousand Lies' are not available anymore from myspace. They are still listed but will not stream. Als youtube is not functioning on my workspace pc. This means that i am deprived of Triptykon music right now and this pisses me off. I'm going home now! No music -> no work.
Marcin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how there, but here everything works well.
Elohim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMorbid wrote:
You're as sure about that as john edward with his ass cold readings.

Do not underestimate the power of my Char-abilities, or all my demerits suddenly appear on your account!
Gothic JJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Monotheist / ITP Reply with quote

Elohim wrote:
I see 'Monotheist' still as a sister album to ITP but a lot heavier than ITP. But the diversity of material is the same as is on Monotheist, only with Monotheist it seems more subtle

Even if Tom agrees with you on this point, this statement sounds excessive to me...
I mean, yep, there's some variety of styles in Monotheist but this album didn't feature any electronic experiment, unlike ITP: "Drown in Ashes" (maybe my fave song along with Ain Elohim) is a goth rock song, stunning yes but far from being experimental.
Moreover the even excellent "Winter" is a pure orchestral piece whereas the majestic "Rex Irae" mixed perfectly metal with classical music.
Shorter: Monotheist is a great, really great album but... ITP stays really on a different, higher, level.
My two cents, of course.

James
Gothic JJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Abyss Within My Soul / A Thousand Lies Reply with quote

IMO A Thousand Lies is the CF song I've dreamed for uncounted years: fast and furious... I can figure the headbanging and maybe some stagediving when Triptykon will play that live Mad
Abyss Within My Soul is... (Tom, forgive this outspoken maverick I am) how Monotheist had to sound like: gloomy, heavy as fuck but sophisticated, as for songwriting, at the same time.
And I stress "sophisticated" as a very positive term, at least to me.
Monotheist's major fault consisted in some too simplistic scores... really too simplistic for a visionary songwriter like Tom.
Tom is keeping "the promise": Triptykon seems to sound like a more varied, adventurous, heavy and doomish version of CF... better: the true, finally unveiled sound of the new CF.
Long live Triptykon Twisted Evil

James
Elohim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Monotheist / ITP Reply with quote

Gothic JJ wrote:
Elohim wrote:
I see 'Monotheist' still as a sister album to ITP but a lot heavier than ITP. But the diversity of material is the same as is on Monotheist, only with Monotheist it seems more subtle

Even if Tom agrees with you on this point, this statement sounds excessive to me...
I mean, yep, there's some variety of styles in Monotheist but this album didn't feature any electronic experiment, unlike ITP: "Drown in Ashes" (maybe my fave song along with Ain Elohim) is a goth rock song, stunning yes but far from being experimental.
Moreover the even excellent "Winter" is a pure orchestral piece whereas the majestic "Rex Irae" mixed perfectly metal with classical music.
Shorter: Monotheist is a great, really great album but... ITP stays really on a different, higher, level.
My two cents, of course.

James

What you describe is a copy. Is your brother or sister a copy from you? Maybe when you are twins, but I have twins at home and even they are not alike. The spirit of ITP is on Monotheist, simply because there are songs on that album that are simply unthinkable on albums like MT and TMT. Indeed: 'ADGCIHF', 'Drown in Ashes', 'Obscured' and 'Winter' are more in the landscape of ITP than they are of TMT or MT. The way the music is merged together, the experimental landscapes that are drawn into 'Os Abysmi Vel Daath' is also something you will not easily find on MT and TMT, although a lot of people describe it as classic (death metal) Frost, I hear lots of similarities with a song like 'Caress into Oblivion', but because of the French Horn maybe, the comparison with TMT is probably more appropriate.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The songs have been up just over a month and have been played slightly more than 30,000 times. In other words, 1000 times a day.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Gothic JJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Monotheist / ITP Reply with quote

Elohim wrote:
Gothic JJ wrote:
Elohim wrote:

My two cents, of course.

James

What you describe is a copy. Is your brother or sister a copy from you? Maybe when you are twins, but I have twins at home and even they are not alike. The spirit of ITP is on Monotheist, simply because there are songs on that album that are simply unthinkable on albums like MT and TMT. Indeed: 'ADGCIHF', 'Drown in Ashes', 'Obscured' and 'Winter' are more in the landscape of ITP than they are of TMT or MT. The way the music is merged together, the experimental landscapes that are drawn into 'Os Abysmi Vel Daath' is also something you will not easily find on MT and TMT, although a lot of people describe it as classic (death metal) Frost, I hear lots of similarities with a song like 'Caress into Oblivion', but because of the French Horn maybe, the comparison with TMT is probably more appropriate.

Dear Wilmar, you know we have a different concept of the word "experimental". I prefer to say Monotheist is a challenging full length. No, I didn't want a copy: you should know me and my high estimation for CF as a band that "never repeated the same album twice". I only repeat that, unlike you, I think Monotheist is inferior to ITP, in experimentations as well as in songwriting. TMT too was more experimental than Monotheist, if we consider it was released in 1985 !
Even nowadays there's plenty of narrow-minded metalheads turning up their nose when hearing French horns in a metal song. You can figure how it was 25 years ago.
Nonetheless Monotheist was the best come-back I could expect from Tom & Martin, well about 14 years after CF breakup.
There are great albums and great experimental albums: IMO Monotheist is a unique, great album and it doesn't make any sense to say "there was ITP spirit on Monotheist simply because there are songs on that album that are simply unthinkable on albums like MT and TMT".
Although I hear much more Hellhammer and much more Morbid Tales in Monotheist, I want to think about any CF or any forthcoming Triptykon album as a stand-alone piece of work. Comparisons can be a limiting factor, the most of times, especially for an artist like Tom who has been playing at a so high level for almost 30 years.

James
kzr750r1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seems to me the song style changes on ITP were more drastic and noticeable between movements. Hard left and right turns throughout.

Monotheist had varying song structure indeed, this time the guys blended them into a complete dark symphony.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kzr750r1 wrote:
Monotheist had varying song structure indeed, this time the guys blended them into a complete dark symphony.

At least, from what we have seen so far.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
Elohim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kzr750r1 wrote:
Just seems to me the song style changes on ITP were more drastic and noticeable between movements. Hard left and right turns throughout.

I fully agree on that. The changes in direction between MT, TMT and ITP were far more drastic than the change in direction on Monotheist. The question is not if Monotheist is inferior or superior to the backcatalogue, it's how it fits into the now definitive backcatalogue of Celtic Frost. I prefer ITP to any album of Celtic Frost, but that is just a matter of taste. I love the songstructures on ITP, as I regard them superior to MT and TMT, and indeed those albums were ahead of their time when they were released. TMT still has one of my all time favorite songs of Celtic Frost on it (Circle of the Tyrants, the title of the song alone makes me shiver, such a great choice of words), but one song does not define an album.
Monotheist is much more daring than MT and TMT, just for the fact that Frost blended different styles into one monster. In that case I would like to make a comparison to Queen: no matter how they changed their sound, you still could hear that you were dealing with Queen. The same applies to Celtic Frost: you could recognize them immediately, even if they played gothic rock...

And wether you like it or not: the spirit of ITP is clearly present on Monotheist. It's a blend of the three albums that made CF a legend, and I certainly hope that Triptykon will make up for the loss we all suffered when CF ceased to be. And you can call that dramatic, but it affected us all in one way or another.

And then there is the fact that it's becoming very hard to try something 'new' today. Even the latest recordings of Diamanda Galas have a familiar ring to them. But still she can sing like the world is coming to an end...
DrMorbid
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I certainly hope that Triptykon will make up for the loss we all suffered when CF ceased to be. And you can call that dramatic, but it affected us all in one way or another.

Nah, it's not overly dramatic at all- we're all here in more than a casual capacity due to how devoted or obsessed we are to CF's legacy, for lack of a better way of saying it, and belief in what they did, as well as what they tried to accomplish.

Hopefully Triptykon will fill that missing piece for us, and hopefully for Tom, it does the same. From my vantage point, the quality of the first few songs released has an energy and a cohesion that hopefully eludes to how well things are going behind the scenes, giving Tom (and the other members of the band) the feeling of actually moving forward and supporting and furthering ideas and concepts.

I think that's what CF was supposed to be about anyhow, right?

At the least, Tom has his clean break, with fantastic and supportive musicians who are opening up more possibilities in the songwriting process.
www.hellhammer.org
www.demonentrails.com
www.onlydeathisreal.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Elohim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have to agree on the intensity of the new material. It is quite emotional and raw. To say that it is a huge step forward from 'Monotheist', I cannot make that judgement. There are seven more songs to be heard and they will eventually shape the overall image we have from the music. It sounds promising, like something I would love to hear, even if it was from Celtic Frost.

I should let go of the concept that Triptykon is a 'new band'. It's Celtic Frost, only not spelled the same... (you got to love 'The Green Mile')
Marcin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i wrote it before. Triptykon is just a new incarnation of Tom's musical development. Comparing, new trax, to the Monotheist, it's obvious that this album is much heavier, faster but what really blew me of was Tom's beast-like voxs. \m/
Elohim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, you must read the interview I had with Tom in our next issue of Lords of Metal e-zine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: