Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in Delineation
Tom co-mixing 1349's Revelations of the Black Flame...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D
Triptykon.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.... thank you for that Tom. I could not have asked for a better explanation. I was not going to ask for one by any means, but the fact that you offered one says much.

Oddly enough, knowing your history with these types of things (from what I've read) it all seems pretty par for the course. You seem to be fated to sail rough seas. Wink
ApolloXI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a mere admirer of his musicianship I sincerely wish Reed all the best in his future endeavours. I always thought he brought a vibrancy and charm to CF that in my humble opinion was never fully recaptured post-1988. Even at a packed Hammersmith Odeon in 1987, his presence seemed to fill the venue, it was very odd. The drumming performances from Emperor's Return through to Into The Pandemonium were never less than exhilarating. The latter in particular still takes my breath away, there's a looseness and fluidity to his technique that wannabe-percussionists like myself can only envy.

And thus that intriguingly part-open page on CF finally closes. A painful yet ultimately cathartic purging has occurred in grand tradition. Suddenly, the Anglo-Saxon and true meaning of the word Doom comes to the fore, judgments made, decisions taken, settlements agreed. Onwards!
Elohim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have said it better ApolloIX. Cheers to you!
Baphomet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Gabriel Fischer wrote:
What you call an "irksome inverted cross" is in reality simply a letter providing a faint allusion to the topic of occultism, as are several other component's of Triptykon's logo and symbol. I purposely shaped the "T" in "Triptykon" to be evocative to some degree, to serve as innuendo, as a delineation. The basic inspiration for the letter, however, came from a 1920s silent movie by Friedrich Murnau.

Incidentally, isn't it well known by now that the inverted cross is not necessarily a satanic symbol?

That's true, but not many people know the historic origin. The origin of this symbol comes from the Catholic tradition that St. Peter was crucified upside down, as told by Origen of Alexandria. It is believed that Peter requested this form of crucifixion as he felt he was unworthy to be crucified in the same manner that Christ died (upright).

It has also often become associated with Satanism and anti-religious attitudes, as it is considered to represent the opposite of Christianity by inverting its primary symbol, the Latin Cross. As a result, this symbol has become very popular within anti-religion groups and among many black metal musicians.

For most people, this symbol IS associated to satanism and devil worship.

Somebody wrote earlier in this thread "I have to admit a bit of shock at this news"... Indeed, there are no words to properly express the shock, disappointment, and emptyness I felt at the time all of this took place. Not least because 2008 and the founding of a new group had been difficult enough already.

Norman Lonhard, however, is anything but an emergency solution. He is an absolutely amazing drummer, and Triptykon now actually sounds exactly how I had enevisioned it when I approached Reed to play with the group. We are lucky to have him. Norman's drumming is as if tailored to my very own style of writing and playing, and vice versa.

I don't know. Perhaps all of this had to take place. Perhaps I had to find out one way or another. Perhaps certain things had to be exorcised, just by the natural course of events, for us all to embark into the future. For this is exactly what we are doing.

You can't compare apples with pears. I am really not sure if Norman's style fits perfect to Triptykon and your visions. He has a hardcore/death metal/jazz background and is in no way associated with black metal or occult metal. But Reed is a legend in it's own. He has influenced countless drummers in the metal scene, be it black metal, thrash metal or death metal.
Aes treve, Weis Kunig
Trev Lew, ruot Ar.

http://www.mountainking-official.org
http://www.myspace.com/mountainkingch
http://www.myspace.com/walpurgisswitzerland
Elohim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as he is better than TCD I am not complaining...
Durtal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elohim wrote:
As long as he is better than TCD I am not complaining...

Second that!

Hopefully Reed will continue with music in some way or another ... as it would be a waste of talent not to ...
Baphomet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durtal wrote:
Hopefully Reed will continue with music in some way or another ... as it would be a waste of talent not to ...

Yes, I agree. Reed is not only an extraordinary drummer but a very charismatic person.

The New York based band Septimus Orion has worked with Reed in 2008. In their blog:

Friday, November 14th, 2008
Triptykon.....

It has been a great experience working with Reed St. Mark on this project. He is an incredibly capable musician. The guy works like a machine in the studio. We captured his performances, and they are excellent. We asked a lot of him, making unusual musical requests. Like all the musicians on this project, he needed very little or no rehearsal time. His work is first rate.We wish he and Triptykon the best of good fortune. Oh yeah, make certain to see them live. You don't want to miss out.
Aes treve, Weis Kunig
Trev Lew, ruot Ar.

http://www.mountainking-official.org
http://www.myspace.com/mountainkingch
http://www.myspace.com/walpurgisswitzerland
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baphomet wrote:
You can't compare apples with pears. I am really not sure if Norman's style fits perfect to Triptykon and your visions. He has a hardcore/death metal/jazz background and is in no way associated with black metal or occult metal. But Reed is a legend in it's own. He has influenced countless drummers in the metal scene, be it black metal, thrash metal or death metal.

It is actually you who is comparing "apples with pears" [sic!]. Were you there when Reed played with Triptykon? Have you any idea of the musical content of these sessions? Of course not. I promised you that we would talk about what took place next time we meet. We have not done that yet, and still you propose all kinds of presumptions here.

It was Reed himself who conceded that it wasn't working, which mercifully saved me from having to address this myself and end it. Moreover, I am well aware of Septimus Orion's blog entry of last year. In all of my posts about this difficult topic, I have been trying to be as respectful as one can be towards a friend, even though it isn't always easy as I feel deeply disappointed and, to some extent, deceived. So I would simply like to state that Septimus Orion's experience and ours are diametrically opposed. Also, the drumming required for their music has nothing to do with that required for Triptykon. In fact, it is also light years away from Reed's drumming in Celtic Frost.

I brought Reed into Triptykon not only because of a long-lasting friendship (only two years less than I know you) but also because of my infinite respect and admiration for his musical capabilities. Albeit, my knowledge of his drumming was based on what I had heard and experienced more than 20 years ago. I suppose this also applies to most participants on this board, including you. Anyone truly close to Reed knows what he went through in the intervening years, much of it by his own doing, some of it beyond his sphere of influence.

Bringing him into Triptykon was thus a tremendous risk. But I wanted to do it because of what I said above - and first and foremost because of our friendship. As a friend, I believe he deserved this chance. Other musicians have been able to return, gloriously, against all odds, not least Bill Ward of Black Sabbath. And Reed and I both desired to make amends for what we thought was an improper ending to our work together in Celtic Frost.

As for Norman's style not fitting to Triptykon: You write "he has a [...] jazz background and is in no way associated with black metal or occult metal". Well, the exact same applies to Reed. Or to Stephen Priestly. Or to Celtic Frost's final drummer. Moreover, it is not the drummer in Triptykon who is writing the music and lyrics and who is developing the concept. It is me, and it is me who will have to face the consequences if Triptykon's first album cannot fulfill what fans and media expect. And the expectations are high. I don't really care for Norman's previous groups, I solely care for his playing with Triptykon. Had I cared, like you do, about Reed's previous band in 1985, before he joined Celtic Frost, Reed would have never become a part of the group - the band in question was an utterly lame and parochial assembly called Crown, commonly refered to as "Clown" within Celtic Frost.

You have not attended a single one of Triptykon's rehearsal sessions yet. Nor have you heard a single one of our new songs. And yet you are making a public post about Triptykon's drummer, his abilities, and his place within the music. Just who do you think I am? Do you think I am taking just anybody into my group, not least after the experience I have had with a drummer in Celtic Frost in recent years? Do you think that I still don't know what the requirements for a drummer are to play my music after 27 years of writing, playing, recording, and producing extreme metal and after albums such as "Apocalyptic Raids", "To Mega Therion", "Into The Pandemonium", and "Monotheist"?

After what took place in Celtic Frost, I reserve the exclusive right to make line-up decisions in Triptykon. We are still at a relatively early stage with Triptykon and the band's line-up, but so far, Norman Lonhard has been a musician who plays exactly at the level of drumming that I expected Reed to play. In fact, somethimes it sounds uncannily as if Reed was behind the drums.

Reed is a legend, yes. I, too, am a follower of this legend. But in pursuing my own personal path, I myself think it is vitally important no to base a life on a legend forged almost a quarter century ago. I myself don't want to be known all of my life solely for some five minutes of something extraordinary I did in the 1980s. Hence an album such as "Monotheist" or a tour such as the "Monotheist" tour. Hence my various other endeavors. And hence my continuing strive to write exciting, unusual, dark, and heavy music, to this day.

Tom Gabriel Fischer, Zurich, Switzerland

Last edited by Tom Gabriel Fischer on Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:11 pm; edited 7 times in total
Elohim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad that Reed couldn't cut it, but it's good to hear that he made the decision himself. I must admit that I found the movies he published on his website, in which he started playing 'Dawn of Meggido', of a superb quality.

Like I said in another thread: let's judge Norman on his achievements and not on our expectations.
Durtal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is me who will have to face the consequences if Triptykon's first album cannot fulfill what fans and media expect.

I remember before Monotheist was released where you said something in an interview (forgive me if my memory deceives me) like "probably no one would care" in regards to new material from the FROST ....

That album was truly the greatest thing I had ever heard in YEARS , and it made me proud to be a metalhead all over again ..

I would expect to receive nothing less from Tryptikon!
powerworm93

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad to hear Reed is not in the picture anymore. On the other hand, an all new line-up may be good for Triptykon. It's a new chapter after all.
"May the force be with you", as they say. Smile
Tom Gabriel Fischer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powerworm93 wrote:
It's a new chapter after all.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Wolfborn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising, not negative, yet somehow predictable news. I hope that Reed will make himself observeable in other ways. Can´t see a way why this would make Triptykon to look less interesting, or weaker. Past is past and future is what is ahead of us.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powerworm93 wrote:
It's a new chapter after all.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

At least the possibility was explored. Questions would have lingered in all of our minds if it had not. Tom and Martin reformed Celtic Frost in 2001 with an eye to the band creating fully in the present, and not to relive the '80's. In some ways, Reed's departure cements the committment to that principle.

CF: 84-93, 01-08. R.I.P.
GigerFrost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Reed is no longer part of the band. So what? Haven´t heard a bit of his contribution anyway. So bring on some real sound and let the music do the talking I´d suggest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer Forum Index -> Triptykon General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: